* * * - - 1 votes

Auto flowering Cannabis...dont knock it ??

• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

#31 Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38094 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi Arnold... All really good points and well made.. of course it's all about personal opinions and I have no issue with that. :P

Frankly, what irks me somewhat is the vehemence with which some people slag them and more importantly, growers of said plants...
It just seems unwarranted and tbh downright nasty in some cases.

I've re-read this thread, and all I can find is robust opinions, no vehemence or hostility? But feel free to use the "Report" button, as members are expected to show respect for one another, as per the site regs :spliff:
Robust posting, like Utopiate's, springs from a passion for cannabis. Utopiate has grave concerns about unwanted traits getting into the enepool. With commercial companies already selling autoflowering this that and the other, it would seem he is right to be concerned.
Far from being a desirable trait, and even further from being "the future", some of us see Autoflowering as a disaster waiting to happen, a real weakening of the genepool. Hence th robust nature of posts.
If one believes Loryder and its auto genetics to be a disaster, then one is going to be quite strong about stating that. Its inevitable.
No Mothers? Dependant on the Seed Company for continued stocks (seed runs would require huge grows to avoid weakening an already weak genetic, if that is possible)? Sounds like a third world farmer and Monsanto to me.
Why?
Just for to help English growers have some bud in their borders? Even though that bud could be any strain they liked if they really wanted?

I understand that n00by growers may gravitate to them because of their ease of grow,

Indeed. But growing an auto will not teach a person how to grow good cannabis. They will learn, well, bugger all really.

but why should they be castigated for that or indeed their ignorance? they are n00000bs...

They shouldn't. Respect for one another is a site reg. That's what the Report button is for, when it happens - hit it!

LRx's weren't around 20 years ago when I did my first grow, but when I read about them a couple of years ago I thought " Hey, that sounds like a fun little project - let's see how these grow in the borders.." and I was smitten. :blushing: but only as a side project for a bit of fun.

Which is the best way. A side show, a curiosity. But what is happening? Folks filling up tents with the things, crossing them every which way, telling all and sundry that autoflowering is "The future", hyping them up to newbie growers .... No, It's time to put this genetic mutation in its place. At best its a freak, a side-show, a curiosity for those with time on their hands.

#32 nwestray

nwestray

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

But growing an auto will not teach a person how to grow good cannabis. They will learn, well, bugger all really.

as a noob, i know jack shit really about growing weeds, but i personally would disagree with that statement Arnold.
i have learned so much from doing my first grow. when reading all forums before i actually started, i obviously learned a lot, but once actual plants are there to be touched and played with, a lot simply becomes clearer.

also, my actual grow drobe has benefited, tweaks have been made here and there, all for the better i hope.

once i have finished with low's, i will move on to bigger weeds, but hopefully by then, i'll be a lot more knowledgable and know how to take care of em better.

everyone has gotta start somewhere, and if it also means ya can ditch the dealer, then even better.

ray.

"in abandoning those who are genetically or through circumstance unable to fend for themselves, you and your government have decended to a level lower than the lowest form of life. you have become predators of the poor"

#33 semtex

semtex

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

If Autoflowering Canna was the future, it would have played a larger part in the past history of Cannabis cultivars.
>>BANG<<

Smoke it in a rizla, smoke it in a pipe...smoke it any damn way you like

Lots of Roots = Lots of Zoots

#34 Sugarwoods

Sugarwoods

Maple Syrup Lover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I've re-read this thread, and all I can find is robust opinions, no vehemence or hostility? But feel free to use the "Report" button, as members are expected to show respect for one another, as per the site regs :rofl:

Agreed Arnold, but the tone is there.... I don't have the time to trawl other threads where I have seen this as I'm actually supposed to be at 'work' :blub: but I do want to respond to some of your points.

Far from being a desirable trait, and even further from being "the future", some of us see Autoflowering as a disaster waiting to happen, a real weakening of the genepool. Hence th robust nature of posts.

Who ever has said it is the 'future'?? that is obviously bollox.. but clearly LRx's have some appeal.
Since man's association with cannabis for the past few thousand years it has always been crossed/bred for whatever is wanted. This is what man does to bend nature to his will... good or bad (mostly bad, but sometimes very good) - there is no way to stop that and legitimate concerns or otherwise will not stop people trying to do what they want.
It's called freedom (freedom to f*ck things up sometimes, yes)
But currently I see no evidence that we will all only ever have autoflowering strains available to us, or that it will permanently 'pollute the genepool'

Just for to help English growers have some bud in their borders? Even though that bud could be any strain they liked if they really wanted?

Yes if they are as experienced as you and have the ability to veg an illegal plant in order to take cuts/etc. and protect from frost/shit weather etc...
As I said I feel they do have their place either for beginners (yes debatable) or people with specific growing situations.

Indeed. But growing an auto will not teach a person how to grow good cannabis. They will learn, well, bugger all really.

I disagree, learning to grow ANYTHING is going to be a worthwhile experience for someone who has not grown before, 'good' cannabis or not.

But what is happening? Folks filling up tents with the things, crossing them every which way, telling all and sundry that autoflowering is "The future", hyping them up to newbie growers .... No, It's time to put this genetic mutation in its place. At best its a freak, a side-show, a curiosity for those with time on their hands.

Again, I think this is a tad over-zealous - it is not a 'genetic mutation' or a 'freak show' it has simply been bred/crossed with existing available plants to serve an end... good or bad.

Dorko :wassnnme:

#35 Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38094 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

Who said it was "the future"?
This chappie, here, back on page 1 :wassnnme:

Yes, man has been selecting and developing it over the millenia - funny, during thousands of years (way more than two thousand by the way, Sumerians and all that) we avoided the squat little autos, no doubt because we were always chasing those drug-strain monters to bend our heads ;) But now, suddnly, we know better :unsure:

Actually, I am no gardener. All I know I've learned here and by my own experiences over the years. If folks are really wanting outdoor weed, then there are ways that don't involve auto-flowering. There is no "need" for an auto-flower. A desire, for sure; folks are lazy, can't be arsed growing standard cannabis strains, etc etc. But a "need", no.

So what does a newbie grwing Loryder learn? Hell, they're even advised to do single-pot grows and not bother with potting up gradually. They wont learn about vegging, about clone taking and Mother keeping, they won't even learn about potting up (and that will lead to disaster when they grow some proper stuff). What will they learn to prepare them for growing something more standard? Maybe a bit about plant keeping in general, pests etc. But the significant stuff? Nope, not a thing to be learned. It's worrying to an old muddy-fingered hippie like me, trying to help folks learn to be self-sufficient in high-grade cannabis either for meds or fun. Call me a "nay-sayer" and "canasewer" and whatever else you like.

"Over-zealous"?
:unsure:
That would be an ecumenical matter
:rofl:

#36 Mono

Mono

Closet Pharmer

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5715 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Thank goodness someone, Arnie, is more eloquent than meself....

He knows what he's on about...

To coin an old cliche...." You can't polish a turdryder"...is that right?

Monk...x

#37 Weedio

Weedio

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3418 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Why is everyone so concerned about the gene pool?
Haven't you seen what the Dutch did to the gene pool? And instead you're raving about some niche seed market?
Riiiiight.

Actually, I am no gardener. All I know I've learned here and by my own experiences over the years. If folks are really wanting outdoor weed, then there are ways that don't involve auto-flowering. There is no "need" for an auto-flower. A desire, for sure; folks are lazy, can't be arsed growing standard cannabis strains, etc etc. But a "need", no.

You can grow them in the sun in summer, they won't go into late august/sept like non-AF's.
Budrot etc. is a HUGE problem for the UK as our summer winds down (or catastrophically ends) as you'll see in the guerilla growing section.
It's got nothing to do with laziness, it's called being realistic and realising our climate is right for 80% of cannabis strains.
And especially with me, living in Scotland, there are very few that aren't risky. But with AF's i can do 3 staggered harvests and get nice weed. Maybe not the nicest i'd agree but atleast i won't be sitting here in September worrying about my outdoor crop and mould.

Also, all you "naysayers", i would ask your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with auto-flowering genetics please.
I take it you've grown them, smoked them, and formed your own personal opinion?
Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? :wassnnme:

Everyone cannabis forum, same argument. It's got old people.
They're here to stay, just like marmite. Love 'em or hate 'em!
They have their place.

Edited by Weedio, 02 April 2009 - 12:29 PM.

Wee·di·o
–noun
1. a small, usually green, Weethera dio, native to the kif mountains, having a green point in the center of the top of the head, usually accompanied by a distinct odour and a hand rolled marijuana cigarette larger than it's arm, most active at 4.20pm.
2. a small, sleepy, ridiculously happy, fairly hungry; ninja

#38 Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38094 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I've plenty to say about the Dutch pissing in the pool Weedio. But this thread is about Loryder, aint it?

I take it you've grown them, smoked them, and formed your own personal opinion?
Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? lol

Everyone cannabis forum, same argument. It's got old people.
They're here to stay, just like marmite. Love 'em or hate 'em!
They have their place.

You take it wrong. I suggest you get off your bandwagon, it has obviously led you down the road of false conclusions.
I have no desire to grow or smoke it. Have never claimed to either. That's why I have made no comment in this thread about how it grows, or what it smokes like, other than to refer to the word of others here. IE, more than enough have said it is a medium hit for me to realise they are likely correct.
I've not grown and consumed a lot of things. Like, say, ergot on rye, or Brugmansia. But I don't think that means I can't have any opinions about them lol
Lots of folks have opinions on God too, but they don't go to Church?
Of course everyone has their place. That's why I'm posting. Its not me who started a thread saying what other should do and not do, after all ;)

Marmite rocks!
lol

Edited by Arnold Layne, 02 April 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#39 Oldboy71

Oldboy71

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I see we are all agreeing to disagree which i expected with this thread being about the auto’s lol , i see valid points from both sides, are autos a good and true cannabis strain?, not really.. are auto’s good for a “fire and forget” drobe grow or a spring garden grow?, absolutely.. and given this fact the plant gets a thumbs up from me..

I usually have these little auto critters along side my proper strains when i have a grow on, nice early finish with a few bonus ounces of smoke while waiting on the big girls to do thier thing lol ...

#40 _Logik_

_Logik_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I dont grow auto flowers, but i dont see no problem for them. If you dont like them dont grow them, they suit people who dont have alot/enough time to check up on them often ect.

I agree Auto Flowers could be the best thing available in a few years.

dont bash it because you probably will be eating your words in a few years.

#41 Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38094 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

I agree Auto Flowers could be the best thing available in a few years.

PMSL!
:)
There you go Dorko, what did I tell you? Its the future, man! ;)

dont bash it because you probably will be eating your words in a few years.

:fear:
:) lol

#42 VRG

VRG

It's what you make it

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9826 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

There will always be people who look for shortcuts in everything they do. lowryder is a perceived shortcut, and the kids love it! :ninja:

Thats why people get so defensive about it, they are simply uneducated in terms of a real cannabis high. You wont find it in dull dutch indica, and you certainly won't find it in lowryder. If all you have for reference is damp dealer weed, or dull dutch coffeeshop weed lowryder is probably quite good! :ninja:

Just living is not enough..
One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.

#43 Blayz'd

Blayz'd

Trichomes in full effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

:ninja: You lowrider lovers are a funny bunch.

Some of the people your replying to have probably forgot more about growing and plants than we've ever known. :ninja:

Apart from growing outdoors in climates not suited for later finishing proper strains, there are no other reasons (excuses really) to grow such a steaming pile of shit. Definately, there's no excuse to take up valuble indoor space with it... especially when your lacking space lol I always find that one quite funny. "Really limited on space man, so what I'm gonna do is fill that small amount of space I have with some of the worst plants I can think of". Good call that.

Please get some quality seeds and strains. Grow them. Then you can apologise lol :P

It's amazing your all on such a defensive about this strain. I'm trying to work out why that is but I'm still in the process of thinking. If you know why, post it up.

lol VRG just answered my question before I even posted it. Damnnn, skills there mate. lol

Edited by Blayz'd, 02 April 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Plato said "It is a just person who disobeys an unjust law."
Epictetus said "Freedom is the right to live as we wish."
Voltaire said "Man is free at the moment he wishes to be"
Blayz'd said "When I grow up, I want to be a budologist"
Gil S-H said "Each one reach one, each one try to teach one"

#44 sibannac

sibannac

The Marmite appreciation society.

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7888 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

This is a 50 000 lemmings can't be wrong question, no?

Give me your other experience of cannabis strains?

It is the worse trait to incorporate into cannabis, and is governed by commerce, and people with acne.

It is insane, no mothers, and no clones from autos, means no viable breeding programme ( without field scale crosses, :ninja:) in the legal constraints we have.

Anyone breeding from autos, will be chopped up and smoked on the first day we get freedom for the plant.

I assume that makes me a naysayer; and you lot should grow up, and grow some some cannabis.

Have a fine day, and stop pissing in the gene pool, it is polluted enough already.

U

ps The CIA could not have done better, and you idiots pay to kill the thing you claim to love.

Seconded...

:ninja:
Cannabis is not addictive
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. ...
Theres only one race in human race
Sibs 'third rule ... FUCK 'EM
The 4th Fuck it do summat Sibs would and fucking enjoy it.

#45 goldie_2007

goldie_2007

Battling Demons

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4005 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

I thought about lowryders myself once with worries of height issues. If you want little plants why buy lowryders? Just flower some better genetics, cloned of course in little pots with little veg time, I gave these no more than 1 to 1+1/2 week vegging from rooted plugs in 4" pots as a bit of an experiment B)
28.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users