469 replies to this topic

#376 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

In the shed next to the lawnmower

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

I've got some LSF on my Blues clones and ordered some essence on Friday, but forgot the catalyst so I was gong to get some this week, but after reading the method of how to make this brew I have to say it's absolutley ridiculously long winded and unnecessarily complex. Surely there's a quicker method with far less hassle available? I'm a home grower not a chemist ffs.

Edited by tywyn, 11 December 2011 - 05:34 PM.

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#377 ~nobody~

~nobody~

Searching...

• Team UK420
  • 9044 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

unnecessarily complex.

What? Do you think they've just added a load of steps and requirements to the process for the fun of it? Complex maybe, but not unnecessarily as far as I can see.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite

It's a sad and beautiful world

Nobody's Home - Perpetual grow

Smile - my first soil grow

Do you really need a Carbon Filter?

Ugorg Blues test grow

#378 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

unnecessarily complex.

What? Do you think they've just added a load of steps and requirements to the process for the fun of it? Complex maybe, but not unnecessarily as far as I can see.

Complex yes, and very long winded. Isn't there some kind of spray that combats LSF, rather than this sorcerers brew that needs to be concoted? Should I invest in a gown and hat to wear when brewing this essence?

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#379 Tony Montana

Tony Montana

Everything I like is expensive, illegal or won't txt me back

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10871 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

You can brew it for an hour and use, I'm sure I posted the link from OT1 in this thread somewhere

Gunner

#380 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Cheers Gunner I'll have a look. but I also found another guide of how to brew it.

Shame that Greens have veg boost (which I already had) on their essence section of the site rather than catalyst, so it means that I now have to get that as well as an aquariam thermometer, pump sprayer and water heater. What a pain in the arse to eradicate LSF.

#381 oldtimer1

oldtimer1

Grumpy Old Git!

• Team UK420
  • 9803 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

tywyn I removed your link to a hydro company that does not support uk420 or stock plant magic+ products, below are the instructions from the pdf with the spelling corrected.

PLANT MAGIC ESSENCE INSTRUCTIONS
WHAT IS PLANT MAGIC ESSENCE?
Essence is a highly concentrated bio-culture of over 20 strains of micro-organisms.
When applied as a foliar drench, it will quickly populate the aerial parts of the plants to achieve the following:
Improved resistance to stress and diseases
Vigorous, robust growth
Colonises leaf surface to provide an effective barrier against air - borne pathogenic fungi. 

CONTENTS

25g Plant Magic Essence Powder
 125ml Plant Magic Catalyst (seaweed growth enhancer)
 Molasses 

YOU WILL NEED

1m Airline
 1 x Airpump
 1 x Air stone
 Small container or bucket 

DIRECTIONS FOR USE 
STEP ONE 

Place the required amount of water into the container/bucket. Connect the air pump to the air stone and place into the water. 
Aerate for at least one hour to evaporate any possible traces of chlorine. 

STEP TWO 

Make sure the water feels tepid to warm to the touch.
DO NOT exceed 35°C as this will kill the beneficial organisms.
Add the molasses at the rate of one teaspoon per litre of water and aerate for 10 minutes to ensure the molasses has thoroughly dissolved.
For best results use a heater to maintain the temperature between 30°C and 33°C.
STEP THREE
Add the essence at the rate of one teaspoon per litre of water. Be sure to sprinkle in finely to avoid lumps in the mixture.
Stir well and aerate for 12 hours.
CAUTION: As the bio-culture multiplies, it will start to froth, be sure to keep away from electrical appliances, animals and children.
STEP FOUR
After 12 hours remove the stone and place the mixture into a pump sprayer. Add to this the catalyst at the rate of 3ml per litre.
Pump the sprayer just enough to have a spray and set the nozzle to a course spray.
Too fine a spray or too much pressure could result in shredding the membrane around the beneficial species.
Spray all aerial parts of the plants. Any surplus can be used to water through the top of the pots.
Use the remaining Plant Magic Catalyst as instructed on the bottle.

Plant magics instructions are ok and very simple, in fact much the same I think:- Attached File  essence-leaflet.pdf   1.47MB   74 downloads

Greens sell Plant Magic Catalyst here! finally if you don't want to treat your fungal infections in an organic way, why not try one of the modern systemic fungicides containing triticonazole, it may well work, but personally I would not want to smoke any plant material where the systemic content remains active for up to 3 months in the tissues.

I hope this helps, Ot1.
Q. how do i make seeds?

A. You take a splinter off my cross, tie a few hairs to one end of it, dip the hairs into the pollen and lightly brush the pistils with it.

#382 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

Thank you OT1, much appreciated. I just noticed that the instructions are also in with the essence, but as I won't have the catalyst and the rest of the bits and bobs until this week I hadn't bothered to look until now. I've already got the essence, airpump and molasses. I didn't realise that the other company weren't supported by UK420.

I'll try the organic method first and see how I get on. Thanks for the info.

#383 oldtimer1

oldtimer1

Grumpy Old Git!

• Team UK420
  • 9803 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

Essence works ok without seaweed, seaweed just enhances its effect and supports establishing the microbes, get a brew on without it and spray your plants.
Q. how do i make seeds?

A. You take a splinter off my cross, tie a few hairs to one end of it, dip the hairs into the pollen and lightly brush the pistils with it.

#384 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Ah OK I didn't realise that the seaweed wasn't essential. I'll have to get an aquariam thermometer and water heater before I make the brew anyway, so I might as well get the catalyst to go with it.

It's the bonsai mothers that I've been growing under a T5 that are affected.

Edited by tywyn, 19 December 2011 - 12:47 AM.

#385 oldtimer1

oldtimer1

Grumpy Old Git!

• Team UK420
  • 9803 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

Ah OK I didn't realise that the seaweed wasn't essential. I'll have to get an aquariam thermometer and water heater before I make the brew anyway, so I might as well get the catalyst to go with it.

It's the bonsai mothers that I've been growing under a T5 that are affected.

IMHO a good wetting agent/spreader, added as I fill the sprayer is more important than seaweed, I never bother with a heater, I just use warm water about 35c and bubble it in the airing cupboard over night and spray in the morning. My take with infected plants is the sooner sprayed the sooner they are protected.
Q. how do i make seeds?

#386 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

IMHO a good wetting agent/spreader, added as I fill the sprayer is more important than seaweed, I never bother with a heater, I just use warm water about 35c and bubble it in the airing cupboard over night and spray in the morning. My take with infected plants is the sooner sprayed the sooner they are protected.

Thank you for the for the tips. I'll go to the local growshop in the morning and see what he has. He stocks Oldtimer nutes, so there's a good chance he'll have some sort of wetting agent there. Yes you're right, the sooner they are treated the better, so I'll try making a brew at some point later today.

#387 greengro1

greengro1

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

greens (essence complete kit) does anyone know what else would be needed to go with this or is it all there? :headpain:

#388 _roached_

_roached_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

greens (essence complete kit) does anyone know what else would be needed to go with this or is it all there? :headpain:

Cheap aquarium heater,suitable container and patience

#389 ~nobody~

~nobody~

Searching...

• Team UK420
  • 9044 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

And the sprayer itself. Not any old trigger sprayer, needs to be an adjustable pressure sprayer.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite

It's a sad and beautiful world

Nobody's Home - Perpetual grow

Smile - my first soil grow

Do you really need a Carbon Filter?

Ugorg Blues test grow

#390 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

So I bought a water heater, aquariam thermometer, pressure sprayer and all the other bits required to get this brew going, but I am nowhere near getting the temp within the required range. To say that I'm annoyed would be an understatement. The water heater needs a min of 2.5L just so that the min water level is covered and I'm not making up 2.5L for a spray for some bonsai mother plants, it would cost a fortune to maintain! Leaving the water in a propogator leaves the temp way to low, and leaving the water in another container in the lowest setting on the hob brings the temp up to 39c which is too high. Earlier I also tried putting the 1L jug in a heated propogator in my DR120 with an oil filled rad in there, but the temp had dropped to 26c when I looked, so way too low. Still no solution in sight :evil:

Edited by tywyn, 07 January 2012 - 01:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users