12 replies to this topic

#1 EasyRider

EasyRider

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hey folks,

New gaff, new grow. Loft this time but due to one thing and another it looks like a tent will be my best option for a quick kick-off.

Question one: Is there a general consensus on which are the best tents? Does one brand suffer less light leaks than others? Are bud boxes up to the job or do i need to invest more dough in a home box? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Question two: The missus is not a fan of noise while she sleeps. Permanent loft growrooms can be externally insulated to reduce noise. Any tips for a tent? I guess Bungee cords for the fan perhaps? Again, and as always, thoughts and advice appreciated.

#2 nl5

nl5

On a mission

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1874 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

The missus is not a fan of noise while she sleeps,
thoughts and advice appreciated.

buy her some ear plugs :stoned:

you can wrap the fans in loft insutltion make them near silent :smoke:

Edited by nl5, 21 April 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#3 EasyRider

EasyRider

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

:smoke:!! :stoned:

#4 nl5

nl5

On a mission

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1874 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

like this

#5 EasyRider

EasyRider

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:09 AM

Aha cool, I've still got some spare Space Blanket which should hopefully do the job.

So, back to question one: Is there one brand of tent that is superior to the others? I'm looking at Budbox, Homebox and Greenroom.

#6 TheTopiarist

TheTopiarist

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

My experience of a BudBox that it's badly designed, and isn't that great. Took 2 people over an hour to put up (20 mins my ass).

Although it does the job.

I thought I'd have noise issues, especially with the fan, but instantly bungee solved the situation!

I also have a primair system wired up, so it runs silently.

#7 KC

KC

Fruity Cargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

I can't see why you need to buy a tent for the loft :unsure:

I grow in my loft, a few batons of cheap wood screwed to some small pieces attached to the floor and some black and white sheeting is all thats needed...plenty of joists etc to hang fans lights and whatnot. That velcro from the supermarkets is a godsend :rofl:

You'll be spending quite a bit of money on the tent for no reason imo. I have only seen the tents, never grown in them but i just don't see how the top supports would be able to hold a 6 inch C/filter :yahoo: Some aren't even very lightproof either, although the darkrooms are.
As for noise i don't hear anything as the fans are hung on bungees, the loft floor is insulated too. The only noises you could get are exhaust air or your intake air.

Have you thought where you are bringing air from and extracting to???
, “What is repulsive about a relationship where both partners feel and express love for each other? I know what I'm talking about here because after we made love, the dolphin put her snout on my shoulder, embraced me with her flippers and we stared into each others' eyes for about a minute.” -Brenner

#8 squirrel

squirrel

Stoned Immaculate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

What KC33 said, tents are a waste of money IMO, especially in a loft.
Confused by all the jargon? Check out the UK420 Grower's Dictionary.

If you need help, please post shots of the whole plant taken from slightly above and to the side, so we can see the foliage all the way down. It's nearly impossible to diagnose plant trouble just from closeups, or shots of a single leaf, or shots taken under HPS. Thank you.

Autos grow diary : Squirrel versus invisible scary monsters.

#9 Noway

Noway

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

i got a bud box and have had no problems with it so far

to be honest at first i did have a bit of trouble putting it up, but after a
bit of research i read that if you hacksaw a few mm or a cm off the upright poles
it makes it 100x easier to pull the top of the cover over.

build quality is good apart from the cover being slightly too small for the frame but
its easily remedied

good thing about tents are that it will provide a bit of sound and heat insulation which i suppose may be
good for your situation

i got my ruck extracter fan sat in a sound insulated box on top of the tent and it helps a bit

Edited by Noway, 22 April 2008 - 01:46 PM.

My first grow diary
http://www.uk420.com...pic=134381&st=0

“There's nothing more dangerous than someone who wants to make the world a better place.”
― Banksy

#10 _scarface_

_scarface_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

What KC33 said, tents are a waste of money IMO, especially in a loft.

not really bud, they take 10 minutes to put up and take down, plus you dont need to be banging and drilling in your loft for a day either
also no light leaks etc to have to deal with around the doors and other areas :smoke:
a waste of money they are definatly not :smoke:

#11 _scarface_

_scarface_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

the grow tent thread for easyrider to read :smoke:

#12 EasyRider

EasyRider

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Cheers for the link Scarface, looks like there's some reading to be done!

#13 KC

KC

Fruity Cargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

not really bud, they take 10 minutes to put up and take down, plus you dont need to be banging and drilling in your loft for a day either
also no light leaks etc to have to deal with around the doors and other areas :realcool:
a waste of money they are definatly not :D

My loft was pretty much pitch black apart from around the loft hatch so i used sheeting to make a lightproof area....the bits of wood took a few minutes to put up.....could tailor size to suit aswell. Costs a hell of alot less. I bet it's more lightproof than alot of the tents about.

My loft wouldn't fit a decent sized tent in anyway, it would have to be narrow or short :blub:

I'm not saying tents are a waste of money, just not needed in a loft, when you could use some sheeting, a staple gun and some velcro :spliff:
, “What is repulsive about a relationship where both partners feel and express love for each other? I know what I'm talking about here because after we made love, the dolphin put her snout on my shoulder, embraced me with her flippers and we stared into each others' eyes for about a minute.” -Brenner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users