- - - - -

Ballast Wiring

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:05 AM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me out with some ballasts..

Fitting some new capacitors into one 400watt Powerplant ballast which was working and has been tested with some prewired capacitors, I have noticed that in the other working 400watt Powerplant it is wired differently. The ballasts and ignitors are identical venture components; only the capacitors are different. The first ballast has prewired plastic capacitors with the upper and lower wires of each crossed over into live and neutral heading towards the mains. The capacitors in the second which are being replaced were single aluminium capacitors, with the replacements being the single plastic type. Having read a HID pocket guide, it seems that crossing over the capacitors is not preferred so I have tried to follow this. Please have a look at the two circuit diagrams that I have put together along with a diagram of how the capacitors have been connected.

ballast.JPG

hidpocket1.JPG

hidpocket2.JPG

Edited by ricky420, 12 November 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#2 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:39 AM

Please can anyone help me out a little here with the capacitors and check if I have I got them wired together correctly? Four connections on each, the outside connectors join the two capacitors together, the inside connectors from one then go to live and neutral which goes to the mains plug. Used four wires from the old capacitors to connect them, they are solid core type and maybe of note that they are a bit thicker than the solid core cable on the prewired capacitors.

Are the two ballasts detailed here wired differently because of the different capacitors (prewired, single type) used? Also, would the first circuit be the one to use for rewiring another 400w parmar ballast which also has the prewired type of capacitors, or could either be used as they both work ? Which type of cable would be suitable for internally rewiring this other ballast for a spare and is a plug from an extension cable suitable for use on a ballast?

Edited by ricky420, 13 November 2007 - 01:42 AM.

#3 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Whazzup, the first ballast in the first diagram (prewired capacitors) was already working, just installed a new lamp which is working fine. The second ballast OTOH uses the singly furnished type capacitors that you must join together yourself, this is the one that I am tying to get up and running; though I am not certain about how I have connected up the capacitors. The diagram next to the circuit diagram shows how these have been connected. The two further diagrams are taken from Advance HID Pocket Troubleshooting Guide (Advance Transformer Co) showing how single and dual capacitors are connected up. Previously have tried some prewired capacitors from another ballast in the second ballast and wired them the same as in the first ballast diagram, this worked fine. These have now been put back into the ballast they came from.

Edited by ricky420, 14 November 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#4 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:26 AM

And here is the circuit diagram of the other ballast, trying to get this other one working also! Have wired it up following the diagram from on the ignitor, which along with the ballast are Parmar.

Attached Thumbnails

• hls_ballast.JPG

Edited by ricky420, 15 November 2007 - 01:30 AM.

#5 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

This may possibly help to show more clearly how the capacitors have been fitted into the second powerplant ballast circuit 2. lol This is what I was trying to show in the diagram of the replacement push wire capacitors:

electronicon_e05_400200.png

Edited by ricky420, 15 November 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#6 potsmoker93

potsmoker93

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2928 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hope ya get it sorted, I know about as much about electrics as I do about women's mood swings, which is basically zero lol We do have an electrician on the boards, hopefully he pops by soon.

#7 Davey Jones

Davey Jones

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4652 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

I don't see the problem

cpacitors have 2 connections

live and neutral

the other two are simply connected to the adjacent connection like a block connector

Read Old Timer, Read Old timer, he is the master of us all

Trouble rather the Lion in his lair, than the Sage amongst his books

#8 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Potsmoker & Electric Man & Whazzup for taking the time to help me out here. Just being cautious before putting the lid back on and testing the second ballast which has had the capacitors replaced. Will let you know when it has been tested.. B)

Does the other HLS ballast look about right as well? This just needs the mains plug and reflector fitted to complete it, before testing. Have rewired it with heavy duty extension cable from a reel, will this be sufficient as it is the same as what could be used to go to the reflector / lamp? :smug:

Whazzup, thats what threw me the way the two are wired differently; AFAIK the first ballast with the plastic capacitors is the newer one of the two, the older one being the one with the aluminium capacitors which have been replaced. Other than removing the two capacitors to be replaced, the wiring has not been modified in any way by myself, this is how they were wired from new. :wink:

Edited by ricky420, 15 November 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#9 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

These are ballasts one & two:

powerplantballlast.jpg

#10 Davey Jones

Davey Jones

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4652 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

And here is the circuit diagram of the other ballast, trying to get this other one working also! Have wired it up following the diagram from on the ignitor, which along with the ballast are Parmar.

This looks wrong to me mate

only two connections used on the ballast

1&3

Is this the one that won't work

I am like well confused mate, the capacitors only need two wires in, the other connections are for connecting to this wire without 2 wires in one terminal

Hope you understand its hard to explain

Read Old Timer, Read Old timer, he is the master of us all

Trouble rather the Lion in his lair, than the Sage amongst his books

#11 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:05 AM

To summarise, the first ballast (powerplant) is now working with a brand new sunmaster lamp.

Second ballast (powerplant) untested, but has had some new capacitors fitted.

Yes, the third ballast (HLS) doesn't work since the digital timer inside it died, the light would not work when tested. Since removed the timer from the circuit, hoping to rebuild the light without the built in timer.

#12 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

Heres the circuit diagram from the ignitor for the HLS ballast, as well as the part numbers for the ballast / ignitor.

Attached Thumbnails

• parmar_ignitorballast.JPG
  • hsv412.JPG

Edited by ricky420, 16 November 2007 - 04:12 AM.

#13 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Looks like the HLS is going to need a new ignitor now; the plastic screw holding the ignitor had broke off when it was put back in. Looked like it was damaged and ready to break off anytime soon and now have just noticed that the ignitor itself is cracked along the side.

#14 _ricky420_

_ricky420_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

Jobs a good 'un, the ballast I replaced the capacitors in now works, thanks for taking time to look at my diagrams folks! B) Ballast hummed a bit with the old grolux lamp that it was tested with, when replaced with a new sunmaster though it seems to be running much quieter now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users