• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

I have two 600w air cooled hoods. I have a ruck 160L extraction fan. The ducting is 6", the fan in and out is 6", the filter hole is 6". The air cooled hoods are
5".

Not a huge problem ( i thought), i have just used the 6" ducting and duct taped it onto the 5" in and out of the reflectors. The seal is good.

The problem is, i have the filter connected to the fan, which goes into light 1, into light 2, then out the room. However the tubing from the 2nd light has next to no air coming out of it.

Originally the problem appeared to be the air cooled reflectors. They weren't air tight. So i have spent today silicone gelling them. With the fan running, there doesn't seem to be any excessive air escaping. But still there isn't hardly any output air.

I have tried having the fan outside the room, so layout goes, Filter, to light 1, into light 2, into the fan and out.
Doing this, the fan didn't pump out as much air as it would normally, and the tubing between light 1 + 2 wasn't whoosing with air.

Something is going wrong here. Am i just trying to move to much air through too many connections. Is it likely that air is still escaping through the hoods yet i can't feel it, it is a case of a lot is escaping through many holes, which on there own isn't much but added up?

Couple of ideas.
Get some correct sized ducting and some reducers. And make sure i have sealed the reflectors up like a motherfucker.
or
Get 2 smaller fans and filters and have one for each light

Any ideas?
Cheers

#2 BOOZE101

BOOZE101

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

i think u will find it is better to have 2 fans like 2 100mrvks for 2 400w lights and then 2 rvks for 2 600w lights and so on,atleast thats the way i was told.maybe i am wrong but it does make sense!!
WOW BRITAN IS SO FU%KED UP!!RICH GET RICHER,AND THE POOR POORER!!

#3 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

i think u will find it is better to have 2 fans like 2 100mrvks for 2 400w lights and then 2 rvks for 2 600w lights and so on,atleast thats the way i was told.maybe i am wrong but it does make sense!!

But should the hoods be air tight, what gets pumped into the hood should come out surely?

#4 VRG

VRG

It's what you make it

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9834 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

You should be sucking, rather than blowing through them. :wink:

Just living is not enough..
One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.

#5 established1976

established1976

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

all the different elements cause resistance, i doubt your td160 has anough power to pull through a carbon filter, ducting, air cooled reflector, ducting, air cooled reflector, ducting, fan, ducting then out (or any other order) you fan is 4" anmd using 6" ducting wont help and it only pulls 160m2 per hour, your going to need a bigger one than that, you need to throw at least another 6" rvk or simular in there too, what watt lamps have you got?

#6 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

all the different elements cause resistance, i doubt your td160 has anough power to pull through a carbon filter, ducting, air cooled reflector, ducting, air cooled reflector, ducting, fan, ducting then out (or any other order) you fan is 4" anmd using 6" ducting wont help and it only pulls 160m2 per hour, your going to need a bigger one than that, you need to throw at least another 6" rvk or simular in there too, what watt lamps have you got?

I measure last night, the fan is a diameter of 16cm, the tubing is 16.5 cm and the hood is 15cm. The fan is quite big, ruck160L when used on its on it can blow a small gale.

#7 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:10 AM

plus you loose a lot going from 6" to 5" Why a filter btw? Use a seperate fan for extraction and create an passive input for your lights. Because you have no filter that causes resistance you will get fewer leaks and a lot more air going through your hoods. As they are not tubes they cause a lot of turbulance and therefor a lot of resistance.

just made a drawing for someone else, let me show you what I mean:
[attachment=179734:kast.jpg]

I will try this after work. I have a smaller ruck 100 which is to be used for the intake. Could i have the ruck160l pulling through the lights, and the ruck 100 extracting the room? My worry would be that the 160l would pull through the lights and pull some room air in aswell creating a smell leak.

The reason i have used a filter is to stop dust getting into the fan. In a previous grow, i had (fan in the room ->ducting-> filter out the room). After a while the fan got clogged up with dust and ran at about 40% power. Probably after a year. I had assumed using a filter would stop dust being drawn through the fan. (this has worked as have used it filter->ducting->fan). Also my grow space is in the basement which is very dusty.

#8 established1976

established1976

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

sorry thought you had the s&p td160 not the ruck 160, the standard version does about 475m per hour which is pretty good but you still asking a lot, you deffo need to set up the other fan too, what watt are the lights? and are the air cooled lights cooltubes?

#9 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

sorry thought you had the s&p td160 not the ruck 160, the standard version does about 475m per hour which is pretty good but you still asking a lot, you deffo need to set up the other fan too, what watt are the lights? and are the air cooled lights cooltubes?

lights are 600w.

the reflector is like a supernova.

#10 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have taken the reflectors out the grow space and layed out in my living room. I had it running, light - light - fan. So the fan was drawing air through the lights. The air being blown out the fan was far lower than it normally does (pulling just through a filter). Also air was being drawn in the far light but not too much. I dont a smoke test and as long as the incense stick was 8-10cm from the air intake it was being drawn in.

I had assumed, that the fan would draw the same amount of air through both lights as to what it can draw through a filter. I assumed the filter was harder to draw air through.

BTW I have checked both reflectors for air leaks, couple of minors ones, nothing to explain the loss of air suction.

Was i just wrong in my assumptions, or is something wrong here.

I really need to get this sorted asap. What would be the best way to get it sorted.

The space is about 1.7m x 1.8m with a height of 1.2m. Not much height i know but is all i have to play with. Due to the height issue i thouhgt air cooling the lights (especially if i could draw as much air over the bulbs as i assumed) would sort out heat issues. I thought i could combine the light cooling process with smell reduction (hence the filter -> fan-> light1->light2->out the room)

I have a ruck100 4" and ruck 160l 6.5"

Any ideas for ideal extraction / light cooling / intake.

#11 established1976

established1976

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:03 AM

its the shape of the reflector that is causing the resistance and having 2 of them in a chain isnt doing anything to help, if you had cool tubes your light spread would be crap but the air flow would be a massive improvement, with 2 600w in there you going to need 3 fans in total, one for intake, one for extract and one for your lights. If your saying that the 160mm ruck fan you have hasnt got the balls to push or pull air through your lighting rig then your going to need a bigger one. You could always try and hook up your lights differently too, how about if you have 2 reflectors both having there own ducting run to a spigot box or Y piece, then the fan then extract outside (you could always put a carbon filter on the end to stop the smells) The fans you got now is just about suffient for 1 x 600w you deffo need more umph with 2 of them.

#12 sharkjazz

sharkjazz

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

its the shape of the reflector that is causing the resistance and having 2 of them in a chain isnt doing anything to help, if you had cool tubes your light spread would be crap but the air flow would be a massive improvement, with 2 600w in there you going to need 3 fans in total, one for intake, one for extract and one for your lights. If your saying that the 160mm ruck fan you have hasnt got the balls to push or pull air through your lighting rig then your going to need a bigger one. You could always try and hook up your lights differently too, how about if you have 2 reflectors both having there own ducting run to a spigot box or Y piece, then the fan then extract outside (you could always put a carbon filter on the end to stop the smells) The fans you got now is just about suffient for 1 x 600w you deffo need more umph with 2 of them.

Cheers thanks for the advice. I think your right the y-piece would be an avenue to investigate, never heard of a spigot box but am about to search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users