Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MadagascarX

Total Lumens per Light

52 posts in this topic

I have 2x1000w mh sunmaster and the plants seem to like them.

Has anyone tried using LEDs ? I'm not talking household units, what I am talking about are the 12v light bars designed for use on 4x4's.

You may notice a lot of light in the avi, that's all LED. I put a fair bit of time into researching LEDs for the truck, the upshot was, ridiculous amounts of light from a very low power draw per watt and low heat output. I have a 7" Cree unit that hasn't been fitted yet so I'm gonna stick a plant under it and see how things go.

Here's the numbers. Cree 7" (flood beam) 36w, 6500K with 3600Lm and 50,000hr continous use lifespan. The other upside is you can pick these up for sub £30.

Its a proven fact....

The more Light your plants will recieve, the bigger, stronger they will become. The only draw back to these higher wattage unit is Heat build up! Most plants will grom most effective between temps ranging between 20-28 deg Celceus and it is also best to try and avoid large temperature fluctuations between night and day as this can lead to weak and poorley formed plants.

It is ideal for most species to try and bring these two temps as close together as possible which is easier to accomplish than you think ;) Most effective way is a propane heater (usually sold as Greenhouse heaters)

Anyway......Back to the topic at hand. Here is a lowdown of how many lumens each light unit gives off, along with its cost of running.

Lamp: 400W Halide

Lumens: 38,000

Efficiency: 95 lumens per watt

Cost per 12 hours@ 8p a unit: 38p

Lamp: 400W Sodium

Lumens: 53,000

Efficiency: 135 lumens per watt

Lamp: 600W Sodium

Lumens: 92,000

Efficiency: 153 lumens per watt

Cost per 12 hours@ 8p a unit: 58p

Lamp: 1,000W Halide

Lumens: 115,000

Efficiency: 115 lumens per watt

Cost per 12 hours@ 8p a unit: 96p

Lamp: 1,000W Sodium

Lumens: 140,000

Efficiency: 140 lumens per watt

Happy Gardening!!!

MadagascarX

Thats some useful information but lumens is not the only measurement to consider when looking at lighting. PAR (Photosynthetic active radiation) is the light spectrum range between 360nm and 760nm that plants are able to absorb and use for integral stages of photosynthesis. PAR is the ability of light to drive photosynthesis so i think just as if not more iportant than lumens.

Edited by Owderb

8 pence per unit seems very cheap

well it was from 2003.

1 person likes this

This should be unpinned. Why is lumens a topic, when PAR matters?

1 person likes this

On 06/02/2003 at 0:51 PM, MadagascarX said:

Its a proven fact....
The more Light your plants will recieve, the bigger, stronger they will become. The only draw back to these higher wattage unit is Heat build up! Most plants will grom most effective between temps ranging between 20-28 deg Celceus and it is also best to try and avoid large temperature fluctuations between night and day as this can lead to weak and poorley formed plants.
It is ideal for most species to try and bring these two temps as close together as possible which is easier to accomplish than you think :ghost: Most effective way is a propane heater (usually sold as Greenhouse heaters)

Anyway......Back to the topic at hand. Here is a lowdown of how many lumens each light unit gives off, along with its cost of running.

Lamp: 400W Halide
Lumens: 38,000
Efficiency: 95 lumens per watt

Lamp: 400W Sodium
Lumens: 53,000
Efficiency: 135 lumens per watt

Lamp: 600W Sodium
Lumens: 92,000
Efficiency: 153 lumens per watt
Cost per 12 hours@ 8p a unit: 58p

Lamp: 1,000W Halide
Lumens: 115,000
Efficiency: 115 lumens per watt

Lamp: 1,000W Sodium
Lumens: 140,000
Efficiency: 140 lumens per watt

Happy Gardening!!!

MadagascarX

£70 to flower for ten weeks under a 1000watts.