Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cj001

Me Heads Fried Trying To Sort Out Bittorrent

188 posts in this topic

i need some help here, ive spent two days trying to sort this out, but im even more confused,

my downloads speeds are very slow, ive read TONS of material to try and fix it but i cannot,

heres what ive done & some info that is probably usless...

in windows firewall / exceptions i checked the UPnP box, (should i also tick the "file & printer sharing" box?)

that made no diff to the download speeds.

then i got one of those "patches" and moved the connections/sec to 50 instead of 10, but i did'nt know i had to reboot, i did'nt get windows xp installation pack with my computer, it was already installed on it when i bought it brand new, plus wouldnt that delete everything on my computer?

in Windows Task Manager / Networking, heres what it said, cpu 5%, PF 318mb (that box was on half full)

my local area connection was non operational, my local area connection 3 was at 1 %, link speed 10mbps.

i had the internet plus bittorrent open at that stage.

heres some info i noticed while in System Properies/ Hardware/Device Manager/Ports (com & LPT)... it said Communication Port (com1) & ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

is that a completey different type of port to the one i need to sort out???

should i go to Windows Firewall/ Exceptions/ Add port? if so what name do i add to it? and do i enter the port number given under Bittorrent settings/Network... it says "start at port 6881" should i enter 6881?

i downloaded PF Router but it didnt have my router/ modem???, (Netopia Cayman 3300 series), so i unistalled it. i had to cause the stupid thing wouldnt close down kept opening new window.

i think my modem is 56k, would that be a problem?

im on 2meg DSL broadband if that makes any sense or is off any use.

someone help me out here, i sware id just go out and buy the stuff if i could (stargate season 10)

nottings worth this hassel.

Peace

what client are you using?

Bittorrent if thats what ye mean.

so you havent read in any of those links i sent you by PM that you should be using uTorrent? the client is the program you use to actually download the files you want.

also, what type of internet connection is it, ADSL or cable?

if you read the threads i PM'd you last night all your questions will be answered.

Edited by MU

think u missed the point on "ports"

Com1 and LTP1 are physical ports on back yer PC ones the thing ya printyer plugs into for instance

comunications and printer ports basically used by modem and printer, not really got anything to do with torrents and "Port Foward"

the 6881 port spoken of is inside your router/modem came with your internet account, its not something plug a cable into instead u go through the software of the modem/router and enable its 6881 port to make it accept torrent connections on that port number make sense?

Download speeds will always be slow unless a port is opened for torrents dont have to be 6881 but does have to be a port open for this type of "traffic" makin it faster, in effect the port is the road the torrent traffic flows on and you got red lights on ya road.....open it give u green lights

easy way to find out how to open your ports for your router os go to portfoward.com and look up the instructions for the router u use.

once thats done its half the battle, then can consider a decent client like azureus to make it run lil smoother

MU i read the links, i tried follow the instructions but im no better off for it, i said i use DSL,

i thought i read in one of those links to stay away from Utorrent??? also i have the downloading programme from bittorrent, (the green wave icon thing) i read in those links it dont matter what client you use, if theres a problem speed wise it will be on my end.

you said there was notting wrong with bittorrent, as you can read im totally confused,

My modem WON'T port forward[speedtouch],and torrents are very slow for me on 2 meg ADSL.

I gave up months ago after getting 3-4 kbs.

If you can't port forward your modem,i wouldn't bother or it'll take WEEKS to DL anything.

the port should not be 6881, this port is banned on most trackers nowadays.

select a port in the range of 40000 - 65000.

what model speedtouch is it deanbo, because i find what you're saying hard to believe tbh.

Edited by MU

MU i read the links, i tried follow the instructions but im no better off for it, i said i use DSL,

i thought i read in one of those links to stay away from Utorrent??? also i have the downloading programme from bittorrent, (the green wave icon thing) i read in those links it dont matter what client you use, if theres a problem speed wise it will be on my end.

you said there was notting wrong with bittorrent, as you can read im totally confused,

bit torrent is the protocol, not the client.

all clients use bit torrent, thats the name of the technology.

utorrent is what you should be using (or azureus).

there is also the client called bit torrent too, which is confusing i know, but you should not use that.

Edited by MU

dr_green_thumb1974 that addy is no use, only opens up computershardware.info

yeah i sort of knew that was different ports,

can some tell what name do i put into the "Add Port" section of Windows Firewall? is it bittorrent, and what number port, do i ramdomly choose between 40000-60000?

MU i say again, **DSL**, i assume thats ADSl, the DSL light is lit on my modem, by the way a router and modem are the same yes?

Thomson Speedtouch 330.

And it doesn't port forward.

MU i say again, **DSL**, i assume thats ADSl, the DSL light is lit on my modem, by the way a router and modem are the same yes?

sorry i missed that in your first post.

have you downloaded uTorrent yet?

dr_green_thumb1974 that addy is no use, only opens up computershardware.info

yeah i sort of knew that was different ports,

can some tell what name do i put into the "Add Port" section of Windows Firewall? is it bittorrent, and what number port, do i ramdomly choose between 40000-60000?

http://portforward.com/ thats right one sorry

i tired downloading utorrent but the "Download utorrent now-its free" link is'nt active

should i download the 3rd one..... "Installation Programme (597kb)

i downloaded the second one yesterday but it was'nt anything