Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kmus2K

D.i.y Cool Tube

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

This is a little DIY article on building a cool tube thats made of wood!

I decided I needed more light and my 500w's of envirolights needed a boast, so I decided to take out 250w's of blue and stick in a 400w MH light bulb but I can`t afford high-temps in my growrobe (with just the enviro's it hit about 32c in there!) so a cool-tube was a must. After much local grow shopping (most didn`t know what a cool tube was..) I decided to use up a few DIY skills I had and make something :yahoo:

I know alot of you will worry that it will catch fire and the place will burn down, well I`ve been running it for a while (with 400w MH) and the wood is actually cool to touch - so as long as you have decent extraction (like a RVK) then this aint an issue :yahoo:

Its up to you to size the cool box as you want, but i decided to go fot a decent size to keep things cool but theres no reason u can`t create a more long-ish cool tube...

So who know someone might make this a sticky :yahoo::guitar:

Edited by Kmus2K

Step 0 - Parts!

1 x Glass (toughened)

1 x MDF wood (You`ll have to work the amount off you`ll need but it should be 9mm+ thick)

Loads x Screws (for 9mm wood I`d recommend 20mm depth screws)

1 x Tube of "No-more nails"

2 x 100mm vents

Step 1 - Creating the glass inlay

Luckly I had this already prepared from another unrelated project - but its basically your holder for the glass.

Simply cut some MDF to the required shape, then cut out the size of your glass minus about 10mm around the edge.. then using a drimmle cut yourself a ridge that the glass will fit in (the glass should sit in perfectly) - I broke alot of the drimmel's mini-cutting disks getting this right.

After your done with this place the glass into the beveled area and no-more nails it into position - make sure its a good seal because you dont want air to be sucked past it..

post-6610-1166022559_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Cutting the sides and top

I went for 120mm deep sides (mainly because I would run out of wood if they were any deeper :guitar: ) but it seems to offer really good airflow. After the cutting process you should have something like the following lying around :yahoo:

post-6610-1166022591_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - The connections

Next up is getting the connections to your carbon filter and RVK in place. I simply took the vets and cut out their diameter in the middle of the shorter sides.

I then drilled two holes in the side of the vents so I could screw them onto the sides and pasted alot of no-more nails around the vent before screwing it into place..

post-6610-1166022627_thumb.jpg

post-6610-1166022632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kmus2K

Step 4 - Building the sides

This is where it gets tricky, you need to make sure you get a good air-tight seal around the box.

I started with the top of the box (the non-glass part) and drilled 3 holes down each side (about 3mm holes) for the screws to fit in - this stops the MDF from splitting. Next I placed 3 screws into one of the sides and used >alot< of no-more nails on the side panel. Finally I pushed them together and screwed it into place - the no-more nails will spill out but just wipe it down..

post-6610-1166022681_thumb.jpg

post-6610-1166022687_thumb.jpg

post-6610-1166022691_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - Light holder and reflector

Next up I put in the light holder, this is simply a bit of MDF that the holder is screwed onto - its done the same as the sides (that means it no-more nails and screwed into the top). For the reflector I just used 1/2 a section of ducting (this is temporary and I`ll improve this now I know the cool tubes works so well..)

post-6610-1166022719_thumb.jpg

post-6610-1166022724_thumb.jpg

Step 6 - Final screw together..

Finally the glass section can be placed it.. Hopefully now atleast 24 hours has passed since Step 4 so that the no-more nails has set hard if not smoke a good indica strain and realise that you need to stay on the sofa til tomorrow evening..

As you can see from the first picture you want to go nuts with the no-more nails to ensure a good seal and this also shows how the screws go in :yinyang:

The second picture shows u the top side of the cool tube and where I bring the leads out of the unit..

post-6610-1166022805_thumb.jpg

post-6610-1166022810_thumb.jpg

.. and thats pretty much it..

The temperatures seem to be a good 26c all the time (with one free hanging red 125w enviro in there too) and the wood is cool to touch.. you can even put your hand on the glass as its just warm to the touch :)

This took about 3 hours to make and probably close to £15 in parts..

:yinyang::yahoo:

good stuff, :yinyang:

Final Picture

Forgot to add a final picture of the grow with the light throwing out its 400w's of goodness :yinyang:

For those of you that want to see how the grow went check out this Grow Thread

post-6610-1166023620_thumb.jpg

nice work Kmus2k

looks like your getting good temps now :yep: and not a bad price too! :wink:

only thing that scares me is its made of wood! :unsure:

take care Kmus2k :yinyang:

put a smoke detecter in there for faks sake

:yinyang:

We have two smoke detectors in that room just to be safe (but that was always there even before the cool tube) and the lights on at night time so someone is always there just in case...

Seriously the box is COOL to the touch, not even slightly warm :yinyang:

You can stick your hands on the glass and its just about 35c - I couldn`t have asked for better!!

You should have painted the inside ( and outside.... ) matt white for even more light.... bit tough to do now you've been so happy with the no more nails :wassnnme:

Top job though matey - DIY-tastic! :ouch: - I made something very similar for my DIY enviro shade, cooled by pc fans, made from mdf.

B :headpain: