Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Church

Let's Try Linux!!!

389 posts in this topic

I want to give it ago but whats the point when i cant run my programs on it??

fucking pay attention man. If you go dopheds suffested route it will partition your hard drive and leave a 'small' enviroment for doze until it finally, hopefully fucks off completly.

Have you read M$ Bastards thread properly you posted in it but dophed has made it as simple as I'd always though it should/could be. You get a windows area and a linux area and choose as you go in which enviroment that you want to go in and this is an auto install the way you must have done many windows CD auto installs (or downloads).

srry man but ...

i have got a fucking cheek I know.

That was rather pleasant - haven't used Unix since Uni, so was nice to say it still looks very similar.

Unfortunately couldn't get the network working, so didn't have a surf around, but was cetainly nippy to say it was running off my HD... might just give the SUSE discs a burn this weekend :angry:

Right, I've had the SUSE Linux isos sat on my PC for a few months but never got round to burning the CDs (I have no CDs but loads of blank DVDs lying around usually).

Even though I bought 30 blanks CDs yesterday, I haven't burned them yet... but then a different thread, offered a chance to try out Ubuntu on a Live CD without committing to a permanent install.

So bite the bullet I will, and give Linux a chance!!!

I know Sibs is gonna do the same, but is anyone else comin with us into this Brave New World?

Log your commitment here, and we'll get started!!!

Yep, count me in.

got the "live" cd, figured out how to change the boot sequence on me loptap, and fired it up. It works, but as yet cannot see the wi-fi card, so no innernet yet.

Now going to free up some disc space and try to get it dual booting....

was very disaapointed with suse.

it is very naked, wont play any media, pissed me off very quickly and tbh the help wasnt too forthcoming.

ubuntu has unbuntuforums.org which is basically a brown version of uk420 full of geeks instead of weed growers, not 1 arsehole have i found yet, just lots and lots of helpful threads.

CHURCH - do you mean couldn't get the internet running or your home network?

if it is tineternet then it needs to be an ethernet modem, you canget usb modems to run but it will be a bit of work.

if you have the modem connected via ethernet then it recognises it during install / boot if live cd.

if you mean a home network then i don't get that as linux wins hands down at networking :yinyang:

oh yeah and suse 10 is 5 cds ??!!?? count em peeps, 5

ubuntu is 1 cd :yinyang:

octafish if you check out the ubuntuforums.org for wifi issues :yinyang:

hi dophed

right im trying to give linux ago

i have on my desktop ubunto 5.10

when i click on it it says windows cannot open this file

and gives me the windows options to search the web and find the prog to open it with

....now which one ...

or have i missed something ....

sorry not to be too PC knowledgeable.....but im sure im not the only one :yinyang:

cheers

TB

Sorry nut Im munchin grass smokin a corn cob pipe.. Wots so special bout linux?

:smoke::yinyang:;)

it works

tightbud

you need to burn the file using nero.

make sure it is an iso file

right click on the file on your desktop and choose properties.

it shoudl be called ubuntu 5.10.iso

open nero and choose burn image to disk

then choose the file and burn it to a cd.

then reboot the pc with that cd in

hi dophed

right im trying to give linux ago

i have on my desktop ubunto 5.10

when i click on it it says windows cannot open this file

and gives me the windows options to search the web and find the prog to open it with

....now which one ...

or have i missed something ....

sorry not to be too PC knowledgeable.....but im sure im not the only one :yinyang:

cheers

TB

If I were you Id stop messing and read a bit more about what your doin.

Linux / Ubuntu is an ALTERNATIVE to Windows, its not something you run or install in Windows.

Forget the desktop version for a bit, I would recomend you download and burn a live cd.

Once burned, leave cd in pc, restart, get your pc to boot from the cd in the bios settings (if it is not already set up like that) and watch it go!!

This way you do not have to install / mess around with your pc, just turn off and take the cd out.

One word of warning if you use linux, even the live cd, there are free utilities to manager partitions. You could potentially delete windows from linux n really, really screw yourself up. Nothin to worry about, just dont go deleting a partition!!!

If you do an install to your PC you will have to resize your windows partition, create a new partition and install Linux. When you start your pc you will get option to use either windows or linux.

Ubuntu is good, the best one for a beginner IMO, but you wanna read up a bit more before you dive in, dont let me put you off though, its definately worth the effort.

If you want to install Linux on the same hard drive as your Windows installation you will have to set up new partitions to install Linux on.It doesn't use NTFS like Windows XP. You will need to delete the current windows partition in order to do this unless you use third party partition software like PartitionMagic. So be careful when runing the Linux setup which involves creating and sizing partitions for your installation or you could wipe all your data. Best use a second hard drive if you have a spare one and set up the Linux boot manager to dual boot from Windows or Linux. The Linux kernel is pretty small but you should install the utilities which come on the 5 or so cds.

Linux takes a bit of getting use to but the more people who use it the more powerful it will become. Long live Open Source.

A side note : Remember a few years back a US supreme court judge ruled that Microsoft must divide the company into various divisions as it was monopolising the industry. Well, why hasn't it? This coincided with the arrival of G W Bollocks Bush. We will never know, just as we will never know which factions of the US military and government had Kennedy assassinated, what went on there. I suspect that a deal was done between Bush's government and Microsoft. Bush says, we let you carry on as is without splitting up the company and you give us a backdoor into every computer running Windows in the world.. + 85% of all computers, so we can keep tabs on nearly everybody in the world. A monopolising company is a threat to all our freedoms. And looking at what is going on in the world today...Guantanamo,Iraq blabla, we should be very concerned.

well thanks for that everyone !!!!

as i say im not too pc know it all... so ill leave it for now ...

unfortunately i lost touch with a pc mate

and as for hard drives i run a laptop so ....

and ive only ever heard of partition'ing(but do know some one that knows about this)

so from what i can gather i need to burn the disc ....remove XP ..and put the disc in and reboot..unless i can get it partitioned

or can i just take it to PC world and ask them :yinyang:

and you give us a backdoor into every computer running Windows in the world.. + 85% of all computers, so we can keep tabs on nearly everybody in the world. A monopolising company is a threat to all our freedoms. And looking at what is going on in the world today...Guantanamo,Iraq blabla, we should be very concerned.

Bit ott, just how many poeople do you think are employed / required in this dastardly business of monitoring planet earth??

Sure some dogey dealins are done, but that dont mean they have the ability to watch many people, takes lot of human effort to properly analyse what 1 person is doin.

Anyway, the major criticism of windows by linux users is that its insecure, people can steal your data.... GW Bush didnt need to do a deal to get access to windows. Could do that by hiring a couple of able minded students.

a mate said today microsoft eventually shut your pc down so you cant use it

so gonna try linux

Happened to me a few weeks ago, damn system went tits up... i could not execute any programs, no text appeared, only icons - happened to me twice in 2 months of 2 seperate fresh installs (2 week timer?).... this was the april build without legitcheckcontrol.

So I re-installed the may build now along with legitcheckcontrol.dll, no problems here yet.

Also firewalled that microsoft genuiene trayicon.exe from gaining access to the internet.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DELETE YOUR WINDOW$ PARTITION!!!!!

as i have said many times over the past 2 days, you can resize it, using various methods.

i will point out again that all critical data must be backed up, especially if it is the first time you have done anything liek this.