Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Church

It's Big Brother Time Again...

1,090 posts in this topic

Hi

wee up date and some facts for yea......

Big Brother in seventh heaven

Jason Deans, broadcasting editor

Friday May 19, 2006

The Guardian

Big Brother 7 proved there's plenty of life left in the long running reality format, launching on Channel 4 with 7 million viewers yesterday - the show's best ever opening night audience.

Channel 4's decision to bring the show's launch forward a week this year has paid off, with the arrival of the 14 Big Brother contestants at the house in the traditional live opening night programme attracting a 31% audience share between 9pm and 10.15pm, according to unofficial overnights.

Big Brother's ratings peaked with a 15-minute period when 8.1 million viewers were watching, a 37% share.

However, comparisons with previous year's Big Brother ratings also contain a note of caution - the previous best opening night was 6.9 million viewers and 29% share in 2003.

But that year's series turned out to be one of the least watched overall, with a bunch of relatively "nice" housemates proving a turnoff for viewers.

Big Brother 3, won by Kate Lawler in 2002, was the top-rating series - and that launched relatively sedately, with 5.8 million viewers and a 26% share.

Last night's Big Brother was also not the top-rating launch show in terms of share - the fifth series opener in 2004 drew 34% of available TV viewers.

However, yesterday's show easily saw off drama competition on ITV1 and BBC1 from The Bill, Vital Signs and The Street.

ITV1 attempted to blunt the Big Brother launch by pushing back The Bill by half an hour so that it ran from 8.30pm to 9.30pm, against the first 30 minutes of the Channel 4 reality show.

The Bill attracted 4.7 million viewers - the same audience as last week.

But the following ITV1 show, Tamzin Outhwaite drama Vital Signs, shed 1.1 million viewers week on week, attracting just 2.8 million in the hour from 9.30pm last night.

BBC1's Jimmy McGovern drama The Street also took a ratings hit, with only 3.6 million tuning in last night from 9pm - down 600,000 compared with last Thursday.

Also at 9pm, Channel Five's House was down 300,000 viewers week on week, to 1.9 million, while on BBC2 This World documentary Psychic Vietnam drew 1.2 million.

· To contact the MediaGuardian newsdesk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 7239 9857

· If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication".

Bongme

The Bill attracted 4.7 million viewers - the same audience as last week.

:doh: 4.7 million morons.

But the following ITV1 show, Tamzin Outhwaite drama Vital Signs, shed 1.1 million viewers week on week, attracting just 2.8 million in the hour from 9.30pm last night.

2.8 million ditto

BBC1's Jimmy McGovern drama The Street also took a ratings hit, with only 3.6 million tuning in last night from 9pm - down 600,000 compared with last Thursday.

3.6 million miserable bastards (how utterly awful AND depressing was this series ?)

Also at 9pm, Channel Five's House was down 300,000 viewers week on week, to 1.9 million, while on BBC2 This World documentary Psychic Vietnam drew 1.2 million.

Still hardly great TV, but head and shoulders the best thing on in this time slot last night. At least there's some element of intellect and wit gone into the writing.

I despair, THAT'S the level of 'entertainment' in this country, an nation full of folks who will actually sit and watch the bill or that atrocious Outhwaite vehicle without having a gun pointed at their head :doh: Welcome to culture of the lowest common denominator (that, of course, being Big Brother. You too can spent the next month watching a bunch of desperate nobodys who's only justification for being on TV is that they want to be celebrities) :headpain:

Went onto the website

Heres a bit from George: He says

My perfect day would be getting h*** while driving a fast car.

did they just cut out the word "high" or am i just thinking of something else?

Not watched it yet btw, i dont usually get hooked, i can limit myself to watching it at 10pm on c4 :headpain:

:headpain: I had it on til 4 last night, and just put it back on now, when I got back from Hospital...

It's like having 14 new friends for the summer :doh:

Joking apart, I think a lot of you fail to see the positives in BB. If you have an interest in Sociology or Psychology, it makes fascinating viewing. Likewise if you can't get out much, it provides something constant through the summer.

It also gives me and my Mum something to chat about daily, which is nice.

People fascinate me, even idiots, well idiots probably more so than non idiots :headpain:

People watching is fascinating, even when they kniow they are being watched, this is when you see the most interesting things :doh:

So i'm with church on this one, I don't have to like em all to watch em.

EO.

Went onto the website

Heres a bit from George: He says

My perfect day would be getting h*** while driving a fast car.

Not watched it yet btw, i dont usually get hooked, i can limit myself to watching it at 10pm on c4 :headpain:

Perhaps he gets 'hard' when he drives a fast car.

'Getting head' perhaps?

It was "hard" that came to my mind first as well Smokey :doh:

Edit: Or were you thinking the same as Church ? :doh::headpain:

Edited by Twenty_Three

i hate it, its so shit. it jus makes celebrities out of nobodies, they are people id never want to be in the same room as, let alone watch them all day on my tv doing menial tasks and just generally being dickheads. please spare me this torture for another year, it takes over the whole nation. they probably brain wash everyone somehow. ive never watched it tho thank god so they havent got to me yet. :yinyang::spliff::ouch:

This man speaks the truth. If I want to gawk at morons I'll just spend the day in my town centre.

I swear I could pick more interesting people if I threw the yellow pages open and picked 10 randoms.

BB formula

Extremely Camp Gay guy

Ethnic guy

Posh guy

Common guy

Attention seeker guy.

Some girl with large assets and a penchant for going naked in the jacuzzi.

Copy and paste for next series.

Don't you think you're just judging em on first impressions?

Don't you think you're just judging em on first impressions?

who'd wanna judge them at all ? it all seems somehow quite perverse to me.

Is there a Tourette's sufferer in the house, it's just I've just been in the pub & overheard (well, actually it was hard trying to block em out, loudmouthed fuckers) a bunch of folks laughing about tourettes (oh, how funny.....) while yammering on about Big Brother. Seems a bit sick on the part of the producers if there is (not that I don't see any reason for there not to be, but if there is it's a bit 'laughing at someone rather than with them' for my taste). Or maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick :yinyang: They were talking shite, VERY loudly.

Edited by Boojum

Is there a Tourette's sufferer in the house, it's just I've just been in the pub & overheard (well, actually it was hard trying to block em out, loudmouthed fuckers) a bunch of folks laughing about tourettes (oh, how funny.....) while yammering on about Big Brother. Seems a bit sick on the part of the producers if there is (not that I don't see any reason for there not to be, but if there is it's a bit 'laughing at someone rather than with them' for my taste). Or maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick :yinyang: They were talking shite, VERY loudly.

There is, yes. You could see it as a shameful part on the producers, or that it's a chance for people to understand how one man lives with the illness. Probably a bit of both.

Hope the guy gets summat out of it. Maybe it'll help him (though I think Tourettes is in some way stress related, and going on national TV is more stress than I could handle, personally). Good luck to him, but judging by the conversation I overheard before, he's not gonna teach many people much, they're all just gonna laugh at him swearing :yinyang:

Hope the guy gets summat out of it. Maybe it'll help him (though I think Tourettes is in some way stress related, and going on national TV is more stress than I could handle, personally). Good luck to him, but judging by the conversation I overheard before, he's not gonna teach many people much, they're all just gonna laugh at him swearing :yinyang:

Yeah but only for the first week or so...