Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Boojum

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

3,170 posts in this topic

Nice one MS?MJ! :yinyang:

Mrs Twenty_Three is calling me from upstairs,but there's a few titles you've mentioned there that I wanna say more about tomorrow :guitar:

Oops forgot to say, agree totally with you MS?MJ but you already know that. Especially Alan Moore, I read Watchmen and V for Vendetta almost as regularly as I pick up a sandman, V for Vendetta is an especially superb work, and getting more valid by the day.

For anyone with darker tastes, who likes short stories, like me, there really is only one series (short horror is sadly not commercial so nobody prints it), the Best New Horror series edited by Steven Jones (and anything else he's edited too, the man REALLY knows his quality horror). Some of the best stuff I ever read, in any genre, has been within the pages of the best new horror series. Don't let the gaudy, cheesy covers put you off, it's proper adult literature, as proficient as anything else you'll read and probably a hell of a lot more imaginative and thought provoking. Short horror is my genre of choice, there just isn't enough of it around to keep me going.

Nice one, I'm definately going to check that out. I do love my horror films (no matter how poor, if you film it I'll watch it lol ) but never really know where to go for horror fiction after Stephen King - I used to enjoy Clive Barker but I like his writing less and less nowadays, and the Ramsey Campbells and James Herberts of this world leave me cold lol

Talking of Stephen King, "The Dark Tower" series of books should really have gone in my first post - I've enjoyed most of Stephen King's books but that series really takes things to a whole new level. Incredibly powerful storytelling lol

Edited by MS?MJ!

My first place to start, horror-wise, if you haven't already read it, is Richard Christian Matheson's astonishingly powerful novella I Am Legend, simply superb. Ramsay Campbell has a short story in most Best New Horror, but they're more palatable than his longer stuff (which leaves me cold too, except The Face That Must Die, which is a chilling study of homicidal paranoia). There's certain authors who's stuff you can only find in the best new horror, people like Karl Edward Wagner (sadly now deceased) and Thomas Ligotti, who write with such style and power it's criminal they haven't reached a wider audience. There's a few other notable collections, like Dark Terrors (also Steve Jones editing), but the best new horror is the main vein, so to speak. I am continually looking for old editions, I think I've got most of em now lol

And Clive Barker has betrayed his horror roots, I dunno what the fuck you call his most recent stuff, but horror it aint (nor readable - Coldheart Canyon and Galilee were both atrocious), but I can forgive him since he alse gave us the books of blood, Weaveworld and his masterpiece, Imajica - probably my second favourite book after Foucault's Pendulum.

Hi All

I do love a good read.

I will read alsorts, I love the horror, and all of my books are by loads of different authors. I also enjoy local ghost stories and gory history, and that kind of thing.

I also enjoy reading anything by Helen Forrester, I also like to read biographies by certain people. Ricky Thomlinsons was an excellent read, Annes Robinsons was also very good, Lulu, Kurt Cobain.

I also like to write, anything, I keep a diary, sit and doodle and write lyrics etc, anything as long as its writing. Would love to write a book one day, pretty sure I have got my topic, just need the time and to do some research, who knows?

Take care

Cleo

i'm not really into comics or netink like that, but i found 'Maus' by Art Spiegelman to be absolutely amazing :yinyang:maus-cover1.jpg

Yeah, man, bloody good call :yinyang:

I can't believe it took me until last year to discover Maus - truly an incredible read, and completely devastating.

Edited by MS?MJ!

Iv just finished reading " The damage done " by warren fellows a 25 year old jailed in a the monkey houses in thailand from trafficking heroin ,And its a must read :guitar: i couldn't put it down the poor guy was made to serve 11 years of hell out there in the most shocking conditions with only rats fish skeleton's and heads with rice and cockroaches being served up :yinyang:

sad story yet quiet horrific situation to be in :yinyang:

He also trafficked large amounts of ours-truly in from places such as India were its very cheap to buy

Day :yinyang:

Edited by Dayhu

I'm reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I just love his style of writing.

I love some King, I hate others. The stuff he did around Insomnia (including said tedious bag of shit) was awful, but you can't argue with the likes of The Stand, The Shining etc. I reckon my faves of his are The Dark Tower : The Drawing of the Three, just pipped by It. I just love the whole loss of innocence that can never be regained subtext of It, a recurring theme in his work, actually (but done best in It).

The movie version is fucking awful, though, avoid at all costs (and I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, Rocky Horror is a perennial favourite of mine)

The movie version is fucking awful, though, avoid at all costs (and I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, Rocky Horror is a perennial favourite of mine)

:yinyang: Christ yes, what a turkey that film was - I particularly liked the way they took the fear of the kids in the tunnels and the whole idea of the deadlights at the end and translated it into some people pushing a glowing rubber spider over :yinyang: :yinyang:

I like a lot of Stephen King's books but I have yet to see one make a decent film, with the exception of Misery.

Edited by MS?MJ!

Dunno, the shining is a good movie, but that's due more to Jack Nicholson & Stanley Kubric than the treatment of the source material. For me, the best 2 King movie adaptations arent from his horror writing, they're Stand By Me (again with the loss of innocence motif) and The Shawshank Redemption.

:guitar: Yeah of course, not sure how I managed to forget about the The Shining and Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile was pretty good too now I come to think of it. It's just a shame that when I think of Stephen King adaptations my mind immediately fills with the really dreadful ones like The Tommyknockers, Needful Things, It, Dreamcatcher, Lawnmower Man - the list seems endless :guitar:

I liked Lawnmower Man :guitar: - seems very dated when it's on now though...

Can't join in with horror convos - I try to avoid horror completely in that it gives me terrible nightmares... After watching The Ring, I didn't sleep right for 3 months!