Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Boojum

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

3,370 posts in this topic

Just started In Pale Battalions by Robert Goddard , glad I took a chance on this , much better than

I was expecting , usually takes me 2 weeks to read a book and read about a quarter of this today

1 person likes this

Decided to re-read the first 2 parts of Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness before buying the new one.

Bishop J Shelby Spong ~ "The Fourth Gospel: Tales of a Jewish Mystic". Spong, a leading light in the American Radical Progressive movement, died just recently. A scholar with the rare gift of being able to express his thoughts in simple terms. (Radical Progressive = the polar opposite of Fundamentalist Evangelical.) He has left a legacy of very accessible (with a little application) books like this one, setting out the Radical Progressive position.

Yeah, right ..... so that's not the sound of you all rushing to buy a copy?! :rofl:

Also:

Bob Woodward & Robert Costa ~ "Peril", about Trump, the US election and the rise of Biden. Fascinating, not a little scary, and satisfyingly full of dirt being dished on Trump.

2 people like this

Finished re-reading A Little Hatred and The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie in preparation for reading the last book in the trilogy, that's just come out (I'll buy it next week, benefit day).

I love Joe Abercrombie. Fantasy but not Tolkien shit with elves and dwarves and epic quests, not 'high fantasy', just a mirror held up to reality, showing all the greed and corruption. There are no heroes in his books (but many great characters), no black and white, just shades of grey. Like the real world.

Albeit a totally differnt genre my favourite storyteller since Iain M Banks  :)

Superb writer.

(and I'm talking shite - not just any shite but Weson's Vintage and home grown weed shite lol )

He really is a superb writer though. Start with The Blade Itself, if you don't like it then don't go on. If you do like it then keep going, The First Law series is superb, then the standalone books, then on to The Age of Madness :)

2 people like this

Just finished Devolution by Max Brooks, who wrote the excellent World war z. This one, not so much, though I did enjoy the ending. Eco tech community in the PNW are cut off due to volcanic eruption, cue horror as Amazons driverless delivery vehicles can’t restock the cupboards. Also forced out of the forest are the big foot (feet?) who are a bit hungry...

Neil Oliver’s A history of ancient Britain, which is a very readable and obviously well researched, but having seen he’s on GB News, it makes me feel a little dirty.

1 person likes this

I saw a review in a newspaper that highly recommended Stephen King’s latest novel “Billy Summers”. I haven’t read anything by Stephen King in 20 years but I thought I’d give it a go. It’s a great story and centres around a Hitman’s last job.
I’d forgotten how good a writer he is and I have now downloaded a book of short stories by him and so far so good! The title of that is “After Sunset”

1 person likes this

H is for hawk, the story of a woman coping with the death of her father by learning to train a goshawk. Really nice read, finished it in 2 days which is unusual for me. Can recommend especially if you've had to deal with grief recently. By Helen McDonald

Also re reading the whole elephant revealed which deals with hermetic philosophy and all the ancient religions and tries to look at the connections between them and quantum physics. Lots of mind-blowing stuff in here and aligns alot with how I think. By Marja de Vries

3 people like this

Just finished The Wisdom of Crowds, final part of Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness trilogy.

:notworthy:

Utterly brilliant.

1 person likes this

Just finished Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay. Superb, great writer.

The Things by Peter Watts. :notworthy:  A short story based on John Carpenter's The Thing but told from the alien's perspective. It's fucking brilliant. lol  

You can find it at clarkesworldmagazine.