Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Boojum

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

3,229 posts in this topic

Started The Black Company by Glen Cook. Not nearly as good as Joe Abercrombie but not bad.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

 

It's the kind of book you want to read on a dark rainy night.

 

I say 'a' night as its a one night read.

Share this post


Link to post

Joe Abercrombie's new book is out next month :yahoo:so I've decided to re-read The First Law trilogy in preparation, still utterly superb :notworthy:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming

Book by Masanobu Fukuoka

 

the Mr. Miyagi of farming:notworthy:

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Not been in the reading mood for a while but back into it and back to re-reading Joe Abercrombie. The First Law trilogy (and the standalone books in the First Law setting) are among my favourite ever books, can't wait for A Little Hatred due out next week :D

 

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's a brilliant writer :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

First Law trilogy is great 

Mistborn  trilogy is also very good ( just finished ) 

Now searching for something new 

Share this post


Link to post

Image result for 101 uses of a dead cat

 

Best read in a long time...:D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/06/2019 at 6:34 PM, Boojum said:

Started The Black Company by Glen Cook. Not nearly as good as Joe Abercrombie but not bad.

If you like joe abercombie check out mark Lawrence book of the ancester brilliant trilogy 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Soft secrets lol

 

Runs for cover ....

Share this post


Link to post

But last book I read that got me hooked was 

Hoods

About  nottingham gun crime drugs an murder by the best wood est cartel headed by colin Gunn and his brother among others

As he has won his high court appeal to be addressed as Mr . Bet the screws love that lol

Edited by Big - L

Share this post


Link to post

Finished Dawkdawn, book 3 of Jay Kristoff's excellent Nevernight trilogy, entertaining and cleverly written I thoroughly enjoyed it :yep:

 

Back to the Horus Heresy series and book 41 of 53 - The Master of Mankind - not a bad read so far.......

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Ranec said:

Finished Dawkdawn, book 3 of Jay Kristoff's excellent Nevernight trilogy, entertaining and cleverly written I thoroughly enjoyed it :yep:

 

Back to the Horus Heresy series and book 41 of 53 - The Master of Mankind - not a bad read so far.......

The nevernight series sounds very similar to mark Lawrence book of ancester trilogy

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@trichomehi after reading the summary they do seem very similar, I'll let you know when I finish Red Sister, just ordered it now :yep: lol

 

Edited by Ranec
Eta
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, trichomehi said:

If you like joe abercombie check out mark Lawrence book of the ancester brilliant trilogy 

 

 

Cool, I'll give it a go, looking for summat to read at the moment having just finished Abercrombie's new one, A Little Hatred (which is excellent). I've tried a few authors that have been compared with Abercrombie but so far I haven't found anything in the same league, either in terms of style (I think his prose is superb) or story. There's loads of 'grimdark' stuff that's grim and dark, but kinda just for the sake of it, gratuitous. I think Abercrombie uses the cynicism and brutality to make pretty humanistic observations about the world we live in (what the best fantasy, sci fi and horror can do - holding up a dark mirror to the real world).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Boojum said:

 

 

Cool, I'll give it a go, looking for summat to read at the moment having just finished Abercrombie's new one, A Little Hatred (which is excellent). I've tried a few authors that have been compared with Abercrombie but so far I haven't found anything in the same league, either in terms of style (I think his prose is superb) or story. There's loads of 'grimdark' stuff that's grim and dark, but kinda just for the sake of it, gratuitous. I think Abercrombie uses the cynicism and brutality to make pretty humanistic observations about the world we live in (what the best fantasy, sci fi and horror can do - holding up a dark mirror to the real world).

I came to abercombie after reading robin hobb, there different styles but both author's are superb. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now