Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Owderb

Hints,tips,tactics

132 posts in this topic

Gone fishing? yeah, fecking raving bonkers. too much 420 can send you 'gone fishing' i can tell ya.

iv been carp fishing for a few years now, developing my experience, i started last season fishing with an 8' quiver tip, the most carp i have ever landed, i was seeing indications and striking into good sized carp without even a bleep from the delkims, but found i started to loose some good sized fish due to using 8lb line.

Now im back to my 2lb rods, fishing 12lb maxima, straight through to a running 1oz flat pear, onto 22lb 3000ad braid as hooklength, size 8 fox ssc barbless tied with a knotless knot, no tubing.

Bait has got to be chick peas, soaked over night and boiled in salt until soft. Add richworth robin red and 5 ml mainline scopex. jobs a goodun. two peas loaded on a long hair.

Last season my best fish were a 26 mirror, 22 common, 21 mirror with a bunch of other 20lb fish. and of course, a multitude of lower doubles.

Tight lines :wink:

2 people like this

something ive done a few times to pre bait a swim in summmer is hang a dead rabbit or bit of roadkill over the river bank where im going to fish(i appreciate this isnt always possible)

if you can do it its a lazymans way of prebaiting

1 person likes this

Hi guys, I've been match fishing for 15 odd yrs, west mids team member! Anyone wanting tips on match fishing let me know!

Has anyone had much success with "GOO" and how have you been using it. I think its given me the edge a few times. Not tried it in summer though. I've also learned how to make it as its really expensive

I'm not talking a "glug" here, but "Goo". They are different and act totally different in the water :)

Cheers

Owd

1 person likes this

A friend runs a successful bait company. We've been testing some goo like stuff for quite a while.Like a glug but clings to the bait for hours.Id like to go into more detail but not on the boards.Its basically sends out all the right signals to our aquatic friends and draws in snails etc to the hook bait.

@@icki korda by any chance? I swear by there goo mate ive had a pb and a few monsters aswell off that caramel supreme with mainline cell

Or my other favourite combo is cell wafters and strawberry supreme

And the ghosts at my favourite lake love some new grange and halibut haze aswell

So if it is korda pass on the message for me "that shit is amazing"

@@Owderb summer i stay with fruity flavours and winter early spring im with the fishy flavours, air dry your boileys and get a pot squeeze a bit in and add a few of the airdryed to the tub, give em a shake so they get covered, and bobs your aunties brother,for added grab do em a few days or a week before you hit the lake

My top tip, now the weather is warming is simply to take your first trip of the season to one of the 1000s of match lakes up and down the country,this will boost confidence and give you a much better story for the mrs when you get home!!!!

Edited by bigganjabud
1 person likes this

Tip for any Pikers on here.

I now only use big single size 1 or size 2 Baitholder hooks, rather than 2 trebles.

If deadbaiting, use some bait elastic, wrap it several times around the middle of your bait, and then nick the hook through the elastic rather than into the bait.

If livebaiting, hook the fish directly under the dorsal fin.

I have found no difference in hook ups from runs, and it makes unhooking the pike much quicker and easier. They always seem to hook in the jaw, and a quick twist with the pliers has the pike free. No more messing around trying to unstitch a pikes mouth / throat.

I also strike as soon as I see a run. No fannying around waiting for the "Second Run".

3 people like this

Canal fishing tip. I've fished the Grand Union Canal for forty five years and I now have the canal at the bottom of the garden with my own private fishing spot. I see people on the towpath thrashing the water for hours during the day and catching very little. My tip for canal fishing is to pick your time carefully. The decent fish don't feed freely until the sun starts to go down and the boats have stopped. I'd say the best times are 9pm to 1am and from 4am to 7pm. Also important is to be quiet and not stomp around the bank. Fish in canals are easily spooked.

Unfortunately I can't fish now after surgery has taken the strength out of my right arm. I tried flinging a bait at my local 'muddy puddle' carp lake and a four pounder was too strong for me!

Quick carp on the float  secession tip : Asda fresh deshelled muscles ! Never fail on a quick session !!!! 

Open the flappy parts and hook the black part in the middle for a better hook hold and to hide the hook . P.S don't use big silly line! Use a 4 or 5 like you would for silvers and let them run let the water take the weight until there ready! Always catches carp out due to them being in most waters and a natural food source plus they love'm!!! 

On on the ledger cell freezer boilies (obviously cell) but don't air dry them! Take them straight out the freezer when your leaving and put them in your air bag so they don't go bad. On defrosting on your rig they release loads of flavour attracting in your fish but you need to change your bait every hour 

MGSM

Good tip man, I've never tried mussels....I bet they'd be good for Barbel. I've had some nice fish over mussel beds.

Regarding boilies, I like to paste wrap them, or more often I paste wrap a cork ball on a hair, not critically balanced as such, but enough to take a bit of weight off the hookbait. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington

On 18/03/2014 at 3:34 PM, Owderb said:

Has anyone had much success with "GOO" and how have you been using it. I think its given me the edge a few times. Not tried it in summer though. I've also learned how to make it as its really expensive

I'm not talking a "glug" here, but "Goo". They are different and act totally different in the water :)

Cheers

Owd

How do you make it Owd ? I have found a bit of almond smoke on a feeder full of pellets does give me better catch rates. The smoke is the runny one, I now use some of this in a pva bag, but as you say, it's expensive.

Posted (edited)

The basics were a decent glycerine with a bit of cornflower added for your desired thickness and then the flavour you need. Don't make big amounts up though because the cornflower ends up solidifying at the bottom after time. I used to use NRG for its smokiness/barbecue/bacon smell. I don't think you can get that now but that was just my favourite and one I had great success with. Plus it sent it a deep yellow/orange colour which was also bang on :)

Owd

Edited by Owderb
1 person likes this