Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RUFUS HOUND

Rooting Balls

Hi all, while having a gander at amozone I found these "Rooting Balls" and wondered if anybody has used them?

71FwRyTkKpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
4 people like this

Yeah these are absolutely awesome for air layering, I use them to propagate loads of stuff from clematis to philodendron.

In all honesty though I doubt they'd be very effective for our purposes

:yinyang:

4 people like this

Used them on trees and shrubs etc but never on cannabis, would be interesting to see what happens if you try. 

3 people like this

@MindSoup A few years ago I did some tomatoes, as you can well imagine they took to it something phenomenal, my little nephew thought it was like actual magic :D

Tbh that was the only reason I did it , just left a couple of suckers unpinched and layered them.

Well worth it for the look on his face.

If I've got any of these doofers left I'll whack one on a plant at some point and see if they'll work, for science like :skin_up:

6 people like this

Thanks @BilgePump @MindSoup 

As you gave me the right terminology to use "air layering",  I had a little search on the web and found quite a bit of info, guides etc on how to use.

And guides to specifically air layer cannabis - I might give it a go one day in the future but got 6 clones rooting now, so discovered a little late in the day.

1 person likes this

Do it mate, I reckon it could work. TBF you don't really need one of those balls, I've seen people do it with margarine tubs or that black plastic wrap stuff. 

3 people like this

Cable ties and a bit of compost bag'll do it too , saved a few clematis that were embedded in a dumped pile of old pots/polytunnwl poles and broken pallets using just that :skin_up:

3 people like this

Hessian root wraps are only really used for transplanting trees and shrubs in winter. Undercut them maybe the year before. I've stabbed enough roots and wrapped it makes me think of mucky ,messy work on a cold day. Hardly any retail nursery does it now, except to move the root ball and bare root stock into muddy gravel for a few months and then back into the ground, or a pot, might be dumped into a giant hole or bonfire. 

2 people like this

I had none so just got some more "medium to large" examples for layering some aroids (monstera and philodendron etc etc) turns out our big cheese (m.deliciosa) is far too big lol It's top most node (the smallest) is 3x thicker than the hole in these pods , oh well , looks like a clandestine trip over to the neighbours to pop em on their ficus carica without being spotted :ninja:

Will save one for whacking on an outdoor gal later on in the year I think.

1 person likes this

lol that would be a fun one to try and explain if you get caught lol

1 person likes this