Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Puffdiddy

WTF are springtales & what do I do ?

24 posts in this topic

I’ve just done my usual evening checks and I’ve spotted these little white creatures running around the slime line in a header tank - the tank recirculates the runoff back to the Resi to remix - there’s a couple floaters in there too… plants look okay - bit of PH fluctuation issues - but back to the creatures ? Anyone know if they are springtales ? What do I do about them ? 
large.IMG_0967.jpeglarge.IMG_0942.jpeg

1 person likes this

If they are springtails, Depending on the  species they could be harmless in lower numbers or very harmful.

How long have you had them? As your plants don't look to bad so if you have had them for a while then you'll probably be OK.

1 person likes this

Just now, Military Grade said:

If they are springtails, Depending on the  species they could be harmless in lower numbers or very harmful.

How long have you had them? As your plants don't look to bad so if you have had them for a while then you'll probably be OK.

Just today - they weren’t there yesterday - 

1 person likes this

I only have experience with them in soil mate, the harmless ones are easier to manage as you can let the soil dry out a bit more between waterings. Harmful ones were a bugger as the they stop the plant taking up water meaning much longer times before the soil drys.

With other grow method other than soil might be easier to deal with, but I have no experience other than soil so I can't help much more sorry mate. Hopefully you got the harmless species like most people and your be find to see out this grow then you can do a full clean out after:yep:

1 person likes this

@Military Grade

thanks - I also just found a nana - so o might just pull the lot and have a clean up - 10 days early 

1 person likes this

What's the trichomes like atm? And extra week probably won't matter if nanas have only just appeared.

As long as they are at least mostly cloudy should be OK.

1 person likes this

Springtails are harmless!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

species dependant*

Internet search

"Some species eat plant roots or nibble on tender young plants, occasionally damaging potted or greenhouse plants."

"Springtails are mostly a nuisance pest, doing little damage to plants. They will chew roots in the soil where they're located, and can inhibit plant hardiness. But they seldom do major damage."

Edited by Military Grade
1 person likes this

large.IMG_0973-4-2-2.png@Military Grade

like this -

check those spunks out lol 

1 person likes this

Like a cream pie lol 

1 person likes this

Nice lol

I'm not sure how fast seeds develop, maybe someone whi breeds can chime in and let you know if leaving them another week would cause any issues with seed growth, hopefully they don't and you can get an extra week of maturing then trichomes :yep:

1 person likes this

I think they could all do with a bit longer - just worried it’ll mess the whole lot up - is it not best to just remove the one plant and accept those losses 

1 person likes this

Just pick the nannas off, nothing to worry about at this stage.

3 people like this

@bill cooper

really ? 
why do I think hermies are so bad? 
I’m under the impression they will or at least can seed the whole room ? 

I have found three - just on the one plant rest are without so far - 

(soma seeds Buddhas sister)

Posted (edited)

Just realised your plants are not as far into flower as I thought, I would still just pic them off and keep an eye on it.

Edited by bill cooper