Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Legalising cannabis won’t tackle disproportionate policing outcomes for ethnic minorities, crime minister says

91 posts in this topic

hi

Legalising cannabis won’t tackle disproportionate policing outcomes for ethnic minorities, crime minister says

The policing and crime minister rejected Sadiq Khan’s cannabis review as a possible measure to reduce inequalities

Legalising cannabis won't tackle disproportionate policing outcomes for ethnic minorities but the issue does need to be tackled, the crime minister says.

Sadiq Khan announced this week a review into cannabis legalisation, a measure charities have said could tackle racial inequalities in the criminal justice system which sees Black offenders 1.4 times more likely to be jailed for drug offences compared to their white counterparts.

Although policing and crime minister, Kit Malthouse, strongly opposed the London Mayor's review he said the government does need to address inequality within police outcomes for ethnic groups.

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/uk-news/policing-cannabis-ethnic-minorities-kit-malthouse-b2083191.html

Bongme

Fucking withnailed lol it’s Friday not Sunday lol 

1 person likes this

legalising cannabis also wont stop the war in ukraine, or americans arguing about abortion.

it will stop people being unjustly persecuted for using a plant though.

Cannabis is a plant, not a universal solution to the worlds problems. although, to be fair, it might be better suited to the job than politicians.

8 people like this

It would free up a lot of court time and let the police deal with real crimes, like offending people with the wrong pronouns.

4 people like this

lollol Twat!

official figures for stop and search:

there were 6 stop and searches for every 1,000 White people, compared with 54 for every 1,000 Black people

5 people like this

Go on I’ll pretend it’s Sunday lol …. If it’s down simply to race and nothing else why do Chinese and Indian people have hardly any interactions with the police? Or does racism only work on blacks? 
Genuine question asked in all sincerity. Don’t bother calling me a racist because it doesn’t work :) 

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Go on I’ll pretend it’s Sunday lol …. If it’s down simply to race and nothing else why do Chinese and Indian people have hardly any interactions with the police? Or does racism only work on blacks? 
Genuine question asked in all sincerity. Don’t bother calling me a racist because it doesn’t work :) 

There are stereotypes about all ethnic groups. They are not the same stereotypes. 

5 people like this

You’ve not answered my question though have you? Why do other ethnic minorities not have this problem if it’s down to racism? 

It's common sense (if that exists anymore); if people dressed as clowns were going around stabbing people...most stop and searches would be on people dressed as clowns.

1 person likes this

the majority of stop and search are for drugs (over 60%). black and white people use the same amount of drugs as each other but stop ratio is 6:1000 whites to 54:1000 blacks..

it’s been like quite a big part of the blue print for the  original ‘war on drugs’ (cannabis) and used as an example of discrimination lol 

6 people like this

what about violent crime per ethnic population ?

I wonder what the data is for violent crime if its one ethnicity over another , is it whites asian indians blacks etc who commit most robberies stabbing etc

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

That's the 64 pence question. Perhaps, by virtue of historical happenstance, ex-patriate Asians and their offspring  haven't got on the wrong foot, in collective crime terms, because they have been relatively more affluent and had more opportunities than blacks.

Edited by catweazle1
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Why are they more affluent and why would an institutionally racist system allow ANY traction for ANY ethnic minority? Again asked in all sincerity @catweazle1. It’s something I can’t  wrap my head around. I think it’s a fair enough point and not intended to be contentious.

Edited by mikeydoughnut

5 minutes ago, dylant said:

what about violent crime per ethnic population ?

I wonder what the data is for violent crime if its one ethnicity over another , is it whites asian indians blacks etc who commit most robberies stabbing etc

If you're looking at race as the explaination of violent crime you're looking in the wrong place...

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Why are they more affluent and why would an institutionally racist system allow ANY traction for ANY ethnic minority? Again asked in all sincerity @catweazle1. It’s something I can’t  wrap my head around. I think it’s a fair enough point and not intended to be contentious.

How was Europe and the US originally populated with significant numbers of black people; by force. That's not a promising start for their since emancipated descendants.... and so it appears to continue.

Edited by catweazle1
2 people like this