Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JimmyPage

DWC Nute temp

So, after a disappointing Gigabud grow, have revamped the tent a bit. Decided to keep temps higher.

Bought a fantastic heating sheet which hangs along the back wall of the tent. That's driven off a thermostatic switch (with it's neon light taped over).

However, putting the 100W aquarium heater in the bucket (which is 13L) and even though the themostat is set to 22C, when I measured the temps it was 28/29.

Now I could put the heater on a timer and try phasing it during the 24 hours to try to hit 18-22. But that seems a bit pants.

Now 100W is quite big (I used it when heating 2xbubblers and a reservoir 10 years ago). So maybe a smaller heater ? Or is there a thermostatic switch I could use ?

Alternatively, if the air temperature never goes below 18C, then do I need a nute heater at all ?

As always and ever thanks for any replies !

1 person likes this

I have only ever grown in dwc apart from a few outdoors over the years and iv never used a heater for the reservoir. I do tend to keep 1 around for emergency use if it's required but tbh it's never come out of its box. I don't currently have a setup but my last lot the dwc buckets where black I guess that helped absorb a little heat. I rarely checked the temps in all honesty but times that I did was usually around 20 degrees roughly. I kept air temps around 25 lights on 20 lights off. 

I think it's good to have a heater in there to keep roots in an ideal environment but if it's hitting 28 degrees in your setup I'd be removing that and doing without or trying to find a smaller 1 personally. 

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, JimmyPage said:

So, after a disappointing Gigabud grow, have revamped the tent a bit. Decided to keep temps higher.

Bought a fantastic heating sheet which hangs along the back wall of the tent. That's driven off a thermostatic switch (with it's neon light taped over).

However, putting the 100W aquarium heater in the bucket (which is 13L) and even though the themostat is set to 22C, when I measured the temps it was 28/29.

Now I could put the heater on a timer and try phasing it during the 24 hours to try to hit 18-22. But that seems a bit pants.

Now 100W is quite big (I used it when heating 2xbubblers and a reservoir 10 years ago). So maybe a smaller heater ? Or is there a thermostatic switch I could use ?

Alternatively, if the air temperature never goes below 18C, then do I need a nute heater at all ?

As always and ever thanks for any replies !

a good guide for heaters is a watt per litre so your 100w heater is way too big. 

i wouldnt bother with a heater, unless the temps are really low, like below 16

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JimmyPage said:

100W aquarium heater in the bucket (which is 13L)

As already said, way to big...I've got 100ltr res with a 50w heater set at 20c but due to room temps it generally sits at around 23c.

13ltrs will be at room temp before you know it, not suitable for dwc as that's too warm inviting root rot.

2 people like this

Revisiting this after a weeks worth of data.

Air temps in tent are 18-25C (min/max) - so combination of the light (HPS) and heating sheet are doing great.

Water temp - with nothing added) has been around 20C when I've checked just before lights on. 

HOWEVER - I have just checked at lights off, and the water temp is 24 C :(:(

So (as MrsJP just said) Something needs to be done ?????

1 person likes this

Just now, JimmyPage said:

water temp is 24 C

That's a tad too high Jimmy mate, nute solution will always rise to room temp given the time.

You either need to remote the reservoir outside the room (impractical) get a chiller, or change your grow method.

My Mish-Mash system addresses this very issue, amongst others connected to hydro growing...:yep:

3 people like this

you could try reflective material on the pot, or insulate it with the siver bubble wrap stuff. this will keep temps more stable, with less drift.

i used  to box mine with insulation sheets (kingspan 30mm thick  iirc) it worked. that was with a 600 hps over the 4 plants in a 1.2 square tent.

2 people like this