Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CustardVape

Question about Clover MPC

19 posts in this topic
On 18/04/2022 at 2:26 AM, Military Grade said:

Many would argue against that opinion from experience.

You sure ? As the general consensus on here is that they're completely harmless and I've had them for years on and off.

Infact I've got coco pots riddled with them at the moment and the plants are thriving, also had them in the no till pots and they weren't a bother then.

52 minutes ago, ukbudz said:

You sure ? As the general consensus on here is that they're completely harmless and I've had them for years on and off.

Infact I've got coco pots riddled with them at the moment and the plants are thriving, also had them in the no till pots and they weren't a bother then.

Yeah I'm sure. Large numbers or wrong species cause harm. It's well documented. I'm not the only users on this site that has had problems with them messing up plants when you got a infestation of them.

"Springtails eat bacteria, fungi, lichens, algae and decaying vegetation, Some species eat plant roots or nibble on tender young plants, occasionally damaging potted or greenhouse plants."

The first time i had them was in a different soil so probably a different Species and didn't seem to cause much problems, But i had a pant in Clover that started to take nearly two weeks for the pot to dry and the plant growth slowed considerable, soon as it got an infestation of them in that one pot.

i got nothing against Clover soil first run with it was great, Love the texture and how the top don't go hard like others, Just be careful where you buy if from and how they store it, You don't wanna end up like me lol

Edited by Military Grade

I believe as @Military Grade said, species and amount play a significant role in the damage springtails can do. I have springtails in all my pots but in relatively small numbers, and I view this as a sign of a healthy compost system.

If I saw an infestation as in the earlier picture I would be treating with a pesticide, probably permethrin.

1 person likes this

All the seedlings went into the Clover without issues, apart from two that didn't make it, but that wasn't the compost fault. No sign of Springtails yet...

Much appreciated :skin_up:

large.20220515_122423.jpglarge.20220515_122431.jpg