Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gormzillaa

How much light needed?

I’m going to be growing 4 plants using AutoPots in a 5x5 grow tent. Unless anybody thinks a different sized tent would work better?

I want to use bar style LED lights and not really interested in QBs. So any bar style suggestions would be great. I’ve read that I should be aiming for 40 watts of power per square foot meaning that I’d need a 1000w LED in a 5x5 space. Is this correct?

My issue is that I can’t actually find a 1000w LED that physically fits a 5x5 space. I really don’t know what to do here.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Lumatek Zeus 600w Pro 2.9 but I’ve realised that isn’t going to be enough wattage for a 5x5 area. They have a 1000w but it’s far to big to fit in the area.

Can somebody please answer this for me as simply as possible as I really am stuck here and don’t want to waste a ton of money on the wrong LED.

Isn't the Lumatek just over 1m x 1m,if so that'll fit,no ?

1000W LED in a 5’x5’ will be strong. Going to need great air circulation and decent co2 levels. 720-800 watts would do in a 5’x5’ and that’s with everything pretty dialed in. Most lights are built for 4’x4’ tables. Light spread is the problem with a 5’x5’ and single light. Those edges drop. Then you need more space between the light and top of canopy to get that spread. I’m guessing you’d be happy with the 600 and just having a little space around the walls of your tent.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Gormzillaa said:

I was about to pull the trigger on a Lumatek Zeus 600w Pro 2.9

This would be perfectly fine in your planned tent. I'm running it in a 4x4 and it is IMO maybe a little too much. I'm tempted to run it at 75% next go depending on how well this run yields.

3 people like this

Thank you for the help @monkeypig

Everything I read of watch tells me to aim for roughly 40 watts per square foot or 30-50. 

I just had no idea how I’d find a fixture that fits in that space with a high enough wattage.

Is this old information then? Are the bar LED lights more efficient meaning I don’t need to aim for 40 watts?

Glad to hear that you think I’ll be fine with the 600w pro 2.6 as it makes my life easier. This is the the factor I’ve been really stuck on as I don’t want to get it wrong.

9 hours ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

Isn't the Lumatek just over 1m x 1m,if so that'll fit,no ?

Actually much closer to 120 square - 110cm by 119cm to be precise, s a snug fit in a 120 square

1 person likes this

@Gormzillaa  As usual I'd say speak to https://ledgrowlights.co.uk/ before buying anything - they might have a better suggestion or special offer

3 people like this

Thanks @monkeypig I’ll shoot them an email and see what they say. Thanks for the help, I mean if your comfortable running it in a 5x5 then I’m sure it’s fine.

@SnakePlissken Sorry I hadn’t seen your response. That’s also great to know and something I needed answering. I wasn’t sure if it would be fine if I left some space around my plants (put them more central).

A 600W LED light will do OK from everything I have seen and read in a 1.5 x 1.5 but a 600W or none that I have seen will get you up into the 700-800 PPF range on the edges, it will still work well but someone with experience will be able to maximise the space a little better with a more powerful light, there are a few 800W bar lights but I couldnt see many that are sold in the UK, they all seemed to be shipped from the states.  Maxibright do a 1000W light thats found alot in the UK, theres also a company from Austria that sell a light called the SANLight Evo 5, Shane from Migro did a review on it and 3 of them light a 1.5m well with a really even canopy but they aren't technically bar lights, I got Scopex 900W's but there not that many places that sell them

1 person likes this

@Superstealth Thanks for the help again.

The guys over at LED grow shop said a Zeus 600w would be fine and that I could always add one or two 100w bar LEDs once I’m dialled in. Two would obviously get me to 800w, not sure how many PPF that would be.

I’m just worried that if I were to use a 600w on it’s on that I’d end up with light and airy buds.