Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RUFUS HOUND

2nd Stab at Autos - Gelato 41

143 posts in this topic

@MindSoup to right mate, they look like they have a decent root system this time round and as things are going so well, I thought Its time to bugger it all up with an experiment.

Im going to look at the effect of topping at different stages or not topping at all - here's the bare bones of the idea.

plant 3 (far right) Im going to leave eu natural = untouched 

plant 2 (far left) Im going to top this = week 3

plant 1 (front) Im going to top this tonight at week 2 

I will give them a week longer to grow a little bigger and will start some LST bend and spread the plant to expose as much as possible to light.

I usually keep the light high (18" above canopy) during veg with photos - should I start bring it lower or leave it at  18" till I see preflowers 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

That's what I've been doing the last year, experiments with training. I found LST or leaving natural worked best for me.

Topping works fine on some strains but slows others, so I knocked topping on the head.

Your girls are looking great Rufus.enjoy the experiments fella.

Edited by Lister420
Spelling
1 person likes this

If you dont try you'll never know ! 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

If you dont try you'll never know ! 

Its not a experiment if you already know the outcome. We have to experiment to learn. Keep on experimenting @RUFUS HOUND and remember Science in its very basics is rules and rules can be broken as we understand things better. My experience is low stress training is best but that doesn't mean I always low stress train all my plants. Your grow is looking good and more importantly it looks like your having fun with it :smokin:

Edited by brock1
4 people like this

@brock1 lovin it bro, if it any of my experiments (trials might be a better description) work - thats great, if they dont - thats great as well, its all knowledge and experience.

Dont get me wrong, I dont blindly leap with no knowledge, that would be foolish. 

I do the research and if the theory makes sense to me, I try it out but in the real world but with my equipment and my environment, which are far from perfect or ideal.

5 people like this

I topped plant 1 on day 14 large.624c5b7d6bd57_week2topG41-1.jpg

6 people like this

The girls haven't been too clever this week, lower leaves are pale, papery, upper leaves are really curling downwards - looks like lack of oxygen/ overwatering 

Ive over watered them, plain and simple but..........In my defence, I found a problem with using buckets that I never considered - they have a raised outer rim on the bottom.

I know this doesn't sound much but this has sealed the bottom of the pot with the drip tray, so the water fell through my lovely holes and went, no where!!.

It stayed trapped, flooding the bottom half of the pot, suffocating the poor darlings - anyhow, it was an easy fix, chocked up the pots on "Insert strange item you use in an emergency!" CHOPSTICKS :rofl:

G41-1

large.6250e08333953_G41-1day21.jpg

G41-2 topped day 21 

large.6250e088cfe1c_G41-2day21.jpg

G41-3

large.6250e0784989c_G41-3day21.jpg

Close up of G41-2 plant topping site 

large.6250e08a41ce1_week3topping.jpg

4 people like this

while I was at it, I started LST on G41-3 - Im not topping this one, LST only 

The buckets are very handy for LST as the lip at the top, gives something for the wire to hold onto - saves messing about drilling holes 

large.62518fd11f4b2_G41-3day21LST.jpglarge.62518fc833df4_G41-3day21-LST2.jpg

6 people like this

Coming along nicely Rufus.

Also when the level of soil is low down in the pot it stops the air help dry the soil out, so helps keep the soil damp. fill the pots to the top for better evaporation.:bong:

3 people like this

Going good mate! Im also growing autos but a few days behind yours so going to keep an eye on this good luck pal!

3 people like this

@Seawolf - welcome along

@Lister420 - Funnily enough I have been reading about the relationship between pot level / pot size / water level.

I been reading up and from a watering point of view it doesnt matter about how much a pot holds, a the water table (level) in the soil will be same height in different sized pots, its better to have taller pots and to fill those pots to the top as you have more media above the water level for oxygen exchange 

3 people like this

Really like this thread.

Your plants are looking great.

Thanks for sharing rufus hound.

I've done more or less the same as you've done.

Even down to the orange buckets.

I used multi purpose compost, with 3lts of perlite mixed in per bucket, to help with air for the roots, and drainage. 

I just did the 24hr soak in tap water and popped them in.

I should know by Monday what's the outcome. 

1 person likes this

Day 28-ish and as if by magic the first pistils are forming on 2 & 3.  

I was worried about the small squat size going into flower - but checking other diaries they are on track and no smaller than most auto Ive looked at - Next week should see a growth spurt with the flowering stretch 

@Celtic voyager thanks and welcome along.

Make sure you get those buckets off the floor, so that bottom rim doesn't trap the water inside like it did with me!

So this week, I been putting more blocks inside tent - see my thread on "Thermal mass" for a more details

I removed the damaged, lower leaves from the plants and did LST on anything that was long enough. 

Also did a bit of leaf tucking, with the removal of the odd  fan leaf that were covering some bud sites (mainly at the tops) 

large.625a93343299a_G41sday28.jpg

G41-1 = topped week 2 = 6 bud sites + LST

large.625a9330d77cb_G41-1day28.jpg

G41-2 = topped week 3 = 10 bud sites + LST

large.625a963787b56_G41-2day28.jpg

G41-3 = no topping = 8 bud sites + LST

large.625a9332ce5a9_G41-3day28.jpg

8 people like this

Thanks for the welcome rufus hound. 

Your plants seem to be thriving, their looking great..

I do have my pots raised up in a trestle, no catch saucer underneath.

It's day 3 now since I planted the seeds, and nothing sprouted ye. Still early though.

Posted (edited)

@Celtic voyager theyre not to bad after the watering issue

Where are you germing your seeds as I understand your going outdoors  Youll want to give them 24 to 48hts soak in warm water and keep their pots about 26'C, to hatch them babies (heat mat under pots helps loads)

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
2 people like this