Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RUFUS HOUND

2nd Stab at Autos - Gelato 41

143 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to my second try at growing autos, this time using Gelato 41 from my pack of seedstockers usa auto mix 

After my first attempt failed - this time I am trying to do it by the book, no experimenting but we will see what happens (well, I did say try!)

I dunked 3 seeds last night into a glass of room temp preboiled water, will wait until I see the tap roots poke out, then its into my lovely bright orange 12L buckets.

10 people like this

Good luck mate :hippy:

1 person likes this

Thanks @MindSoup - the gods are with me, I can feel it!

3 people like this

48 Hours in a glass of room temp water and the G41 seeds have started to open.:yahoo:

This time I am using Aldi peat free compost (all I could get hold of at short notice).

I will be going direct into the buckets to avoid repotting disturbing the roots and stunting growth 

I'm thinking about putting a small pots worth of compost / vermiculite mix in centre of bucket to help the first roots get established - anybody tried something similar?

6 people like this

Good luck man following along :yinyang:

1 person likes this

Best of luck

1 person likes this

cheers everyone for the moral support, I am not worthy :notworthy:

As the Aldi compost is a little rough and ready and being mindful of sticks etc getting in the way their precious, delicate auto roots, Ive put some finer compost (clover) in the middle, just to make the way a little easier for them at the start. 

desperate to succeed, I even brought the bag of compost indoors a couple of nights ago to bring it up to room temp.

3 people like this

Throw up a pic of a bit of the Aldi peat free if you can , I'm curious to see what it looks like (I think I've found the best one but I'd like to see others)

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

heres a few photos

pic 1: bucket filled with aldi compost - I made a well in the middle for the clover compost

pic 2: you can see how much finer the clover is in the middle 

pic3: seeds starting to sprout - now planted and are going into the tent 

Fingers crossed and everything else :scared:

large.62332243b4167_bucket1.jpglarge.6233223eeff50_bucket2.jpglarge.6233223ab0a16_g41seeds.jpg

6 people like this

Its not too bad that Aldi stuff is it. I've used it outdoors a few times and its always done the job. The only downside is that its produced with general garden waste so probably has some residual pesticides etc, but tbf a lot of the more expensive brands (westland, miracle grow etc) use the same source material. One thing you'll notice moving over to peat free is that most of it tends to run out of food a bit quicker, so you may well need a touch of grow ferts before they kick into flower. 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Cheers @MindSoup this stuff says its enriched, so presume has some form of fertiliser in it

I use it for normal plants and its always been fine for them but a bit too rough a texture for seedlings, hence the clover.

You could riddle it to remove the bigger stuff but I couldnt be be arsed and just fished out the odd inch of stick while filling.

to be fair there was only about  5, inch long bits of twig 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
2 people like this

That looks alright yeah , not nearly as stuffed full of wood fibres as some (new horizon I'm looking at you)

I'll conscript one of my vehicle owning friends to keep an eye out for a bag for me (I live in bumfuck nowhere , Aldi haven't set up round ere yet)

Thanks for posting those pics @RUFUS HOUND 

I appreciate it dude :yep:

Anecdotally I once found a 5 inch bit of blue pallet in a bag of (absolute shite) richmoor compost , I kinda cursed and laughed in unison.

:yinyang:

3 people like this

no probs @BilgePump

1 person likes this

The sun is shining and all is good in the world of green. 

I chopped the  blueberry clones, cleared out tent, gave it a clean and the G41 are in their new home. 

Ive got the heat mat under the black plastic runoff catcher (aka storage box lid) this is sat on a square of polystyrene to minimise heat loss to the floor.

The soil temp is nice and cosy @ 23'C, I will keep an eye on this for a few days, as dont want it much higher.

If your wondering "why the white discs?" they are the rears of the stickers I was decorating my pots with. 

I had a daft idea to put these over the seed location and then watered around the pot, this leaves the seed undisturbed and hopefully the water will leach into the dry part.

large.6235db7d332da_g41inewhome.jpglarge.6235db757af46_G41soilrwmp.jpg

8 people like this

Good luck mate, fingers crossed these ones come good. 

1 person likes this