Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Matthew420

Dwc build help

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys looking for some net pot help.

either going with 96l wham heavy duty storage or the 150l model. 2 plants to a bucket. Planning on 4 inch rocwools as i have loads about. Any advice on net pot choice ? Guessing something with a bigger lip is better ? Any one recommend a size and brand? 
 

cheers in advance

Share this post


Link to post

I don't do hydro(yet), 

mud and coco for me. 

 

But something I've picked up from others on here, 

@stu914, @badbillybob, @stu sleeper 20vt :yep:

 

Ditch the rock wool :)

 

Use pebbles instead. 

 

The rock wool holds too much water. Iirc 

 

Atb 

 

 

:yinyang:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Shumroom said:

I don't do hydro(yet), 

mud and coco for me. 

 

But something I've picked up from others on here, 

@stu914, @badbillybob, @stu sleeper 20vt :yep:

 

Ditch the rock wool :)

 

Use pebbles instead. 

 

The rock wool holds too much water. Iirc 

 

Atb 

 

 

:yinyang:

Hi mate the rockwool was just for stability was planning in having it surrounded in pebbles

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure how you mean :g:

 

Like I say I'm just going from the information I've picked up from some of our other members :) 

 

 

I do appreciate the engineering that's often involved with hydro systems.

 

For your interest,

@Punta Roja created a new system for the Sweet Seeds competition last year

excellent read :D 

 

Atb

 

 

 

 

:yinyang:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Matthew420 said:

rockwool was just for stability

 

Start your seeds/cuttings in a cube, either rootit or root riot then straight into pebbles, rockwool is the devil's own fuckdust mate,

recommend you use it to insulate your house, it's no fucking good for growing...:no::nope:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, stu914 said:

 

Start your seeds/cuttings in a cube, either rootit or root riot then straight into pebbles, rockwool is the devil's own fuckdust mate,

recommend you use it to insulate your house, it's no fucking good for growing...:no::nope:

Hi mate i have always used the 4 inch cubes to get them started. Can you recommend any net pots mate? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Matthew420 said:

net pots

 

What size are you looking for bud? I use 4" which are designed for the Wilma system, easy to get hold of online...:yep:

 

There ya go, rootit cube for seeds/cuts...then into a net with pebbles...

large.SSCN1300.JPGlarge.SSCN0975.JPG

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, stu914 said:

 

What size are you looking for bud? I use 4" which are designed for the Wilma system, easy to get hold of online...:yep:

 

There ya go, rootit cube for seeds/cuts...then into a net with pebbles...

large.SSCN1300.JPGlarge.SSCN0975.JPG

 

 Yeah mate i use the root it cube for seeds then once roots are through put them in the 4 inch rockwool.

 

im looking for a net pot big enough to take the 4 inch cube with a nice big lip so it wont fall through the tote lid 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

im looking for a net pot big enough to take the 4 inch cube

 

Why do you need the cube mate, I just don't get it....You are lining up the possibility of problems in the future with overwatering.

Trust what we are saying mate and ditch the cube, rootit straight into pebbles...

Google the mesh pots for the size you want...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, stu914 said:

 

Why do you need the cube mate, I just don't get it....You are lining up the possibility of problems in the future with overwatering.

Trust what we are saying mate and ditch the cube, rootit straight into pebbles...

Google the mesh pots for the size you want...

Ok mate i always had issues in the wilma with just the root it cube when i used the 4 inch rockwool allowed me to have more established plant before potting it

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

more established plant

 

Ah...got you now...I had the same issue with dwc and solved it by doing this...

 

large.SSCN0976.JPG

 

Put the mesh pot inside a solid sided pot of the same size and water from the top which encourages roots to grow out all over the pot...

 

...leave it long enough and you get this...

 

large.SSCN0972.JPG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, stu914 said:

 

Ah...got you now...I had the same issue with dwc and solved it by doing this...

 

large.SSCN0976.JPG

 

Put the mesh pot inside a solid sided pot of the same size and water from the top which encourages roots to grow out all over the pot...

 

...leave it long enough and you get this...

 

large.SSCN0972.JPG

Looks great mate what size net pot do you recommended for 2 plants in 150l tote?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Matthew420 said:

Looks great mate what size net pot do you recommended for 2 plants in 150l tote?

 

You only need the 4" as the roots grow free in dwc, doesn't matter what size the res is.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Matthew420 said:

4 inch rockwool allowed me to have more established plant before potting it

Hey @Matthew420

As @stu914 said - forget rockwool in DWC - it holds too much water - awful stuff.

 

Use the rootit cubes or an aeroprop - after 4-6 weeks in an aeroprop your seedlings or clones will be nicely rooted on without any medium and ready to straight into a net pot with clay pebbles.

I did a side by side last year of clones in small rockwool cubes and clones in an aeroprop - absolutely no comparison, aeroprop clones were so much quicker to root.

 

14cm net pots in a 24lt wham bam boxes - 1 plant per box, just big enough for a decent root ball.

 

Good luck

:yinyang:

 

Aero propagator below - using this was a game changer for me - makes the transition from seedling/clone to veg so much easier for DWC.

large.60b12a4f0c6ac_12CloneAeroproproots.jpeg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, QQ710 said:

a decent root ball.

 

Root porn...Yum Yum...pass the tissues...:wassnnme:

 

:rofl::rofl:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now