Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Creed

Outdoor autos

27 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Imo a 24 l fabric pot with a decent plant in it will need watering once a day. Once a fortnight won't be sufficient unless it rains everyday.

What size would you suggest?  The strain I'm looking at growing is cream madarine after @oldford has twisted my arm so after much reading I believe she  can be quite the lady given the  right conditions and maybe needs the space for her to flourish. My issue was that I cannot visit the plot frequently. I didn't want to go to big or to small a pot and thought 24ltr may be midway. Another option I have is tyres?

@Creed

I can't suggest anything I'm afraid. I reckon anything above ground, especially fabric pots will dry out very quickly. My plants in 5 gallon, 20 litres fabric outside need watering every day. 

Perhaps tyres would be better.

Can you rig a drip watering system. Anything to get you going between visits longer?

Can't you guys just cut a hole in a bottom of pot,stick it half way in ground?

11 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Can't you guys just cut a hole in a bottom of pot,stick it half way in ground?

The ground is rock mate. There is a light covering of topsoil which ranges from around 3-5 inches deep but certainly not enough to part Bury the pots or no space for the roots to go even if the bottom was missing. I think my best option is to probably build another bed.

Edited by Creed
Spelling again
1 person likes this

@Creed if you can't visit the plot to water frequently then pots just aint gonna work for you dude.. you need to get into the ground.. if you can dig out some of the rocky ground somewhat then harvest the  few inches of native soil from areas around your plot and use that to build a bed.. you can add vermiculite and water retention crystals to help with dry out and also if you have some woods/forest anywhere nearby you can harvest some topsoil that has a high humus content.. just scrape back the leaf litter and harvest the earthy black matter that lies beneath.. this is full of goodness and retains moisture really well.. import to site add to your native soil.. coco can be added for mass dry ferts to feed amendments if needed then make your mix and build your bed and away you go..  so many ways to go about it but i think in your curcumstances id take that approach rather than pots..  you will be suprised how quick pots will dry out when above the ground.. you don't want to be greated with dead plants when you visit oneday...good luck buddy :yinyang:

1 person likes this

On 17/01/2022 at 7:46 AM, Creed said:

I live in a village called coalville,coal-village.

Dude you may be better of keeping things like that to yourself.. stay safe @Creed

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Revive said:

@Creed if you can't visit the plot to water frequently then pots just aint gonna work for you dude.. you need to get into the ground.. if you can dig out some of the rocky ground somewhat then harvest the  few inches of native soil from areas around your plot and use that to build a bed.. you can add vermiculite and water retention crystals to help with dry out and also if you have some woods/forest anywhere nearby you can harvest some topsoil that has a high humus content.. just scrape back the leaf litter and harvest the earthy black matter that lies beneath.. this is full of goodness and retains moisture really well.. import to site add to your native soil.. coco can be added for mass dry ferts to feed amendments if needed then make your mix and build your bed and away you go..  so many ways to go about it but i think in your curcumstances id take that approach rather than pots..  you will be suprised how quick pots will dry out when above the ground.. you don't want to be greated with dead plants when you visit oneday...good luck buddy :yinyang:

Yes mate I have re assessed my situation. I now have extended the bed I was using for photos only so I will now have photos and autos in the same space. I have dug out the ground as deep as possible and scraped out all the native soil I can which is around 5inches deep. My bed is maybe 15 inches deep. My next visit I'm going to clean up all the native soil and mix with multipurpose and coco. How do tyres compare to pots? Due to my change of plans it means I will be only getting 4 plants in one space as opposed to the 5. My allotment gives tyres away for free so if this would make a better idea than pots I could get the extra plant out. How's your prep going mate have you started yet? Looking forward to this year's shenanigans!! After last year's,which strain will you be growing again? 

15 hours ago, Revive said:

Dude you may be better of keeping things like that to yourself.. stay safe @Creed

It's the excitement of the new season fast approaching. But thank you for the reminder of discretion @Revive

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Creed said:

Yes mate I have re assessed my situation. I now have extended the bed I was using for photos only so I will now have photos and autos in the same space. I have dug out the ground as deep as possible and scraped out all the native soil I can which is around 5inches deep. My bed is maybe 15 inches deep. My next visit I'm going to clean up all the native soil and mix with multipurpose and coco. How do tyres compare to pots? Due to my change of plans it means I will be only getting 4 plants in one space as opposed to the 5. My allotment gives tyres away for free so if this would make a better idea than pots I could get the extra plant out. How's your prep going mate have you started yet? Looking forward to this year's shenanigans!! After last year's,which strain will you be growing again? 

Hey mate, I cant get my head round how using tyres would allow you to plant out more.. the space you have to grow in will be the same.. pots can be put where ever you want.. we are talking bottomless pots right? Plus think about cages, using tyres won't make that easy..

Make sure there is enough space between them so there is room for growth later down the line. If you cram to many in a small space it will cause you issues so just be mindful of that.. its tempting when the space is small but less plants with room to grow will yield better than more plants that shield each other out and have no airflow. Or put in some more graft and build 2 beds.. 1 for autos and 1 for photos..

Yes mate I've started throwing down some chicken shit and bonemeal.. prep should be minamal as ill be using the same holes as last year and the year before that.. ill just add what I need to put some goodness back into the ground and its job done really.. its an established plot ill be working with this season with a few cheeky ones at another location..

Not sure what im gonna run yet mate.. have a few in mind off last years list and some new in mind but still need to decide how many of what..

Smaller number this season as ive already got so much bud stacked from last theres no point breaking my bollox if its not needed.. having said that I do tend to get carried away lol

That lil slip you had there in excitement.. why don't you see if you can get 1 of the mods to remove the post so its not stuck there for anyone to see.. im sure they can help with that.. you don't want your location up in lights dude..

Anyone could read it on either side of the fence.. you don't want your girls getting ripped before you get a chance to harvest them or worse still the boys in blue.. be safe my friend,  have fun and be lucky :yinyang:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Revive said:

Hey mate, I cant get my head round how using tyres would allow you to plant out more.. the space you have to grow in will be the same.. pots can be put where ever you want.. we are talking bottomless pots right? Plus think about cages, using tyres won't make that easy..

Make sure there is enough space between them so there is room for growth later down the line. If you cram to many in a small space it will cause you issues so just be mindful of that.. its tempting when the space is small but less plants with room to grow will yield better than more plants that shield each other out and have no airflow. Or put in some more graft and build 2 beds.. 1 for autos and 1 for photos..

Yes mate I've started throwing down some chicken shit and bonemeal.. prep should be minamal as ill be using the same holes as last year and the year before that.. ill just add what I need to put some goodness back into the ground and its job done really.. its an established plot ill be working with this season with a few cheeky ones at another location..

Not sure what im gonna run yet mate.. have a few in mind off last years list and some new in mind but still need to decide how many of what..

Smaller number this season as ive already got so much bud stacked from last theres no point breaking my bollox if its not needed.. having said that I do tend to get carried away lol

That lil slip you had there in excitement.. why don't you see if you can get 1 of the mods to remove the post so its not stuck there for anyone to see.. im sure they can help with that.. you don't want your location up in lights dude..

Anyone could read it on either side of the fence.. you don't want your girls getting ripped before you get a chance to harvest them or worse still the boys in blue.. be safe my friend,  have fun and be lucky :yinyang:

Sorry mate should of made this clearer. I have plenty of space but not in my bed. It is around 2.5m² giving each plant roughly 1.2m² each. I don't want to stick another in there and cause to much chaos. I have already extended the bed once.Will tyres be better at preventing dry out as opposed to pots? Not sure why I'm even asking as 4 plants is enough for the location but for future reference,have you experience with tyres?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

Sorry mate should of made this clearer. I have plenty of space but not in my bed. It is around 2.5m² giving each plant roughly 1.2m² each. I don't want to stick another in there and cause to much chaos. I have already extended the bed once.Will tyres be better at preventing dry out as opposed to pots? Not sure why I'm even asking as 4 plants is enough for the location but for future reference,have you experience with tyres?

I very much doubt it would make much difference, anything above the ground will heat up and dry out.. with the rootball lower in the ground you would certainly stand more of a chance.. go with the 4 plants and just train them outwards from your bed creating a much wider area if that makes sense.. depending on what strain and if photo auto or fv you can get a decent pull from 4 plants mate.. if you get it right that is.. do all you can for them and give them your love they will reward you for it :yinyang:

Edited by Revive
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Revive said:

I very much doubt it would make much difference, anything above the ground will heat up and dry out.. with the rootball lower in the ground you would certainly stand more of a chance.. go with the 4 plants and just train them outwards from your bed creating a much wider area if that makes sense.. depending on what strain and if photo auto or fv you can get a decent pull from 4 plants mate.. if you get it right that is.. do all you can for them and give them your love they will reward you for it :yinyang:

Thanks for this mate. I think the bed will be just fine. Like you say some topping and training I'm sure 4 will be far more rewarding. The tyres were an idea since I have them for free. 

1 person likes this