Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Creed

Outdoor autos

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Preparation for the new season I underway with so much to get sorted after the mistakes I learnt last season. This year I plan on throwing some autos in the mix. My first time doing autos so and quite excited. Due to the ground being rock I am forced to grow in beds and pots. I plan to germ at home and veg in garage under fluoro white light and then move out to the grow space once the risk of frost has passed. My intention is to plant and leave,visiting the site maybe once per fortnight. So my question is what size pot would be recommended for an outdoor auto grown with minimal effort. I already have some 24 litre fabric pots. Will these suffice? The autos I'm growing are burning kush. Short flower time and a strain that doesn't grow to tall which fits the bill perfect for me. Any advice on pot size or just outdoor grown autos is appreciated. 

1 person likes this

I grew some in 15 gallon pots and some in 5 gallon pots last season did quite well.

For your planned once fortnight visit though i would try and go for the bigger the pot the better as the smaller pots dry out a lot quicker than u think after a couple of days of sun.

Can't really comment on what autos though cos the only time i tried em it pissed it down for weeks as they were finishing so they rotted.

1 person likes this

Your pots should be fine , maybe add some form of drip feeders for hot hot spells if prolonged.

Sweet Seeds and RGSC do reliable autos for our outdoor runs & you can speak directly with both on here too.     

Good luck :yep:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, murphyblue said:

I grew some in 15 gallon pots and some in 5 gallon pots last season did quite well.

For your planned once fortnight visit though i would try and go for the bigger the pot the better as the smaller pots dry out a lot quicker than u think after a couple of days of sun.

Can't really comment on what autos though cos the only time i tried em it pissed it down for weeks as they were finishing so they rotted.

This is my first time ever growing autos so am excited to see what happens.  With your minimal experience with autos would you say that photos are more resilient? I've spoken with rgsc and they have given me a few strains that would work,but through email I guess there is limits as to what they can say. @panik may be they guy to ask for a more in depth suggestion.

I thank you my friend for your advice. I will stick with my big pots.

I do 2 outdoor auto runs and a single run of fems ,  i find the auto pretty bomb proof and neglect them more than i should but i do get decent results.   

Autos have come a long way over the years,  like anything ... the genetics , enviro , weather , methodologies all have an influence.  

I find autos to be plenty potent enough for me although good fems will produce bigger yields and offer more effect.  

I have a few pics in my gallery and a few runs documented if you want a sneak preview of some strains mentioned above. 

I love Sweets Auto Cream Madarine , Mohan Ram & S.A.D  ,  last year was a good run of RGSC Auto Gelato.   

Also SeedStockers are getting great reviews and again you can talk to them on here.  

RGSC face on here is " Panik "  ,   SeedStockers face on here is  " SeedStockers Mark "  ,  Sweets face on here is " Sweet Seeds Tommy ".    

Edited by OldFord
Spelling ...as usual
1 person likes this

@oldford I thank you for your speedy reply. 13th Jan seems far to early to be worrying about this but after my first outdoor grow last year I kinda have the bug for it now. I have browsed the sweet seeds catalogue and the rgsc. Last years run was dfg and I had minimal issues. I'm quite happy sticking with rgsc this year with my remaining dfgs and a nice fast auto strain. How did the run of gelato go? I also have some frisian dew that I'm also guna get out this year. My concern was pot size with autos. So when you say two runs you mean staggered plant outs for staggered harvests? 

Edited by Creed
Spelling
1 person likes this

@Creed   Exactly that mate ,  2 staggered auto runs ,  1 early and then a later run timed to come down with the fems.     

The RGSC Gelatto was an easy grow, a very flavoursome end product with a nice ring to it.   I will be running it again this year for sure.   

I highly recommend Sweets auto Cream Mandarine for flavour ,  great effect and a simple grow -  my fav auto by far.   

On 14/01/2022 at 7:18 PM, OldFord said:

@Creed   Exactly that mate ,  2 staggered auto runs ,  1 early and then a later run timed to come down with the fems.     

The RGSC Gelatto was an easy grow, a very flavoursome end product with a nice ring to it.   I will be running it again this year for sure.   

I highly recommend Sweets auto Cream Mandarine for flavour ,  great effect and a simple grow -  my fav auto by far.   

It sounds an idea I'd like to try,but for now I want to keep it simple. Last year was my first outdoor grow done in my garden,this year its guerilla. My plot is small and due to my little experience I dont want to increase size/workload for the simple fact of I'm still learning. I learnt last year that liquid nutes are no good for outdoors haha. Do you have any experience with feeding potash during flower? And how tall did the cream mandarin get? I've heard good reviews about the red poison but the beans seem to be like gold dust. Height could be my only issue. My plot is very close to civilization however its the kind of place that a person would only ever go if they knew. It's thorny and prickly as hell. I'm still picking thorns from my fingers since I last visited for a clean up almost a week ago. You may well have twisted my arm with the cream mandarin as I've heard only good things about sweet seeds!!

Edited by Creed
Spelling again

Best plant direct into the ground rather than pot to be honest, do you not have another plot? large.P1030697.JPGlarge.user406701_pic1877520_1534793096.jpeg.jpglarge.user462206_pic1873830_1533492119.jpglarge.P1010777.JPGlarge.user406701_pic1869523_1531979580.jpeg.jpglarge.P1010769.JPG

7 people like this

I know there's a lot of advise on here about planting auto seeds direct into final pots, but I want to germinate in a more controlled environment. 

I thought of germing in plugs and transferring them to small fibre pots to then transfer into my final pots. Would this really have that much affect on shocking the roots? 

Thanks guys 

3 hours ago, Countrybumpkin said:

I know there's a lot of advise on here about planting auto seeds direct into final pots, but I want to germinate in a more controlled environment. 

I thought of germing in plugs and transferring them to small fibre pots to then transfer into my final pots. Would this really have that much affect on shocking the roots? 

Thanks guys 

I start mines off indoors under a cfl then kick them out when frost is clear ,  i then transfer direct to final pots when i kick them outside , not seen any issues using this method. 

This method has served me well for years and will continue with it.    Each to their own mate ,  i also find genetics , enviro , weather and growing methodologies all play their part. 

I find the earlier run can , not always, have better root structure as the colder growth period slows growth above surface and roots develop better to promote a rapid growth.   I do insulate the pot base from the ground on the early rum.  

5 hours ago, Countrybumpkin said:

I thought of germing in plugs and transferring them to small fibre pots 

Autos, paper towel germ then into peat pots. large.Screenshot_20210604_160456.jpglarge.Screenshot_20200522_100725.jpglarge.user462206_pic1954642_1560691835.jpglarge.user462206_pic1954645_1560691835.jpg

2 people like this

On 15/01/2022 at 11:40 PM, Ch@ppers said:

Best plant direct into the ground rather than pot to be honest, do you not have another plot? large.P1030697.JPGlarge.user406701_pic1877520_1534793096.jpeg.jpglarge.user462206_pic1873830_1533492119.jpglarge.P1010777.JPGlarge.user406701_pic1869523_1531979580.jpeg.jpglarge.P1010769.JPG

I don't have another plot.  I live in a village called coalville,coal-village. The ground is the same no matter where I have looked,rocky as hell. These are some impressive pics @chappers. Are these autos? The idea behind the fabric pots was so the roots could reach out. Although the ground is rocky there I maybe 3inch top soil but I removed a hell of alot of moss from the ground when clearing the site which I read that this could be a sign the ground is never dry so I worry about root rot. It could be that the area has been so overly vegetated over the years and now I've cleared it,that maybe this will help. I'm having trouble with my dry feed mix,if anyone can direct me to a thread for outdoor feeding?

Imo a 24 l fabric pot with a decent plant in it will need watering once a day. Once a fortnight won't be sufficient unless it rains everyday.

43 minutes ago, Creed said:

@chappers. Are these autos?

Yes :yinyang:large.P1010869.JPGlarge.P1030749.JPGlarge.P1030755.JPGlarge.P1030720.JPGlarge.P1030717.JPGlarge.P1030685.JPGlarge.P1030686.JPGlarge.P1030695.JPGlarge.P1030693.JPGlarge.P1030674.JPGlarge.P1030673.JPGlarge.P1030642.JPG

3 people like this