Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Mackie

The magical 40+ degrees

24 posts in this topic

So I got powdery mildew. Fml. 

 

I finished the cycle, salvaged what I could (not much) and cleaned or replaced everything. 

 

New cycle and I'm week three of flower and its rearing its ugly head again. 

 

I'm gonna try wing it with the typical remedies till these come in but before the next run I think im goin to try heat treating the room. 

 

So the idea is (I think I read @blackpoolbouncer did this) get a propane heater and heat the whole room to over 40° for more than an hour. This theoretically should kill it. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

 

Now the thing I'm uncertain about. The room my space is in is basically my living room. Still got all the usual house stuff in there. Can anyone think of any problems like cooking the TV? Or melting my stuff. Ill probably be sitting at 50° for 2 hrs to be sure so don't wanna fuck the gaff or owt. 

 

Thanks for any input even if its your commiserations. I'm feeling pretty fucking miserable about this lets see if I can ever sort it out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

lol nowt to do with me mate. Don't blame me if ya melt your TV lol

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Iirc It was @Dodgee lol

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Check the manual, it'll list two max temperatures, one for operation and one for storage. Probably 40c and 50c respectively so you're right on the limit.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I wouldn't be doing it with any electronic devices in the room tbh mate. 

 

Definitely not any battery powered ones.  

 

It ain't hard work to move a few bits n pieces out for an hour though.  

 

You won't need a propane burning turbo charged space heater for that size room either man. 

 

Shut the doors n windows, crank the heating to max and a 2kw blow heater will push you past 40c in no time.  (The blow heater might cut out around that temp coz of thermal cut out switch, bloody health n safety eh) but the central heating alone will keep the temp up when the blow heater cuts out.  You can temporarily take the room stat off the rad and the fucker will be on max regardless of temp.

 

And you don't need to take my word for it.  Have a Google of "what temp it takes to kill mold spores".  The info is all out there. 

 

I don't just make this shit up ya know peeps! lol

 

 

 

 

 

Well..  Not all of it anyway  :unsure:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Alternatively try Ozone generator, I think.that works too iirc.  

 

Not 100% sure without checking but 90% at least lol

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

this is a crazy thread, and i seriously hope the op keeps us updated lol

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Wouldn't a smoke bomb kill it?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

It's a sticky plaster if your house is damp and airless and your tent is in the corner sucking damp wall air.. 

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Wouldn't a smoke bomb kill it?

No.  Smoke bombs contain permethrin which is a potent insecticide and toxic to several other organisms but it isn't a fungicide. 

 

 

Powdery mildew is fungal.  The symptoms we see on plants are the visible symptoms of a fungal infection.  

 

Mildew/mould aren't exactly the same thing but they're very closely related.  

 

In terms of environmental tolerance they're actually not that dissimilar to ourselves.  So extremes of temperature will kill them.  Very cold works the same as very hot.  

 

For architectural moulds heat is a well established method of treatment/control.  

 

Agriculturally it's not used because the amount of heat required to kill the fungus is also adequate to kill many plants.  And it's not practical in a field size application. 

 

 

I can only speak from my own experience, it was years back and me and a mate had the PM problem over and over to the point we were all set to completely move location and I read on line about the heat treatment for household mould did some research and suggested to him we try it (may as well tried every other fucking thing by that point). 

 

And it worked.  

 

All I can say is try it yourself.  If it works, great your winning. If it doesn't what have you lost by trying? 

 

It's only 2p, makes no odds to me like 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks a lot @Dodgee and everyone else. I will definitely be trying this after this run and will definitely update the thread. Glad I gave you all a laugh if nothing else haha. I'll clear the room as best as pos before and keep a close eye not to melt my tv hahaha

 

I draw air from outside via the wall cavity and so far have just got carbon cooker hood filters on the intakes. I just bought some hepa filters with the intention of putting these on the intakes as I suspect I'm bringing the spores in from outside. Does anyone know if hepa filters actually filter the PM spores? I'm gonna add them in anyway but it'd be nice to know it was worth my time lol. 

 

Massively appreciate all the input I've been miserable as sin over this but am not willing to give up just yet. The next run I'm solely running a strain which seems fairly resistant so far so that should help. Obviously I want to get back to multi strain grows asap as I love variety in my jars. 

 

Thanks again all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Mackie said:

I draw air from outside via the wall cavity

 

 

the actual cavity? or outside proper?

 

i bet the cavity is full of mold

 

i didn't mean to make light btw, i have just never heard of this remedy, but you are in safe hands with @Dodgee he's the weed problem doctor around these parts, and he's been on a good run lately lol:)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Yea the ducting doesn't meet perfectly to the outside (air brick) so there's air coming from both outside and in the cavity. Ill get that sorted this week too you're right there's probably all sorts of dampness in the cavity wall I didn't really think about that. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@Mackie you'd be better off using passive intakes and keeping a window ajar. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Just now, Mackie said:

Yea the ducting doesn't meet perfectly to the outside (air brick) so there's air coming from both outside and in the cavity. Ill get that sorted this week too you're right there's probably all sorts of dampness in the cavity wall I didn't really think about that. 

 

 

i bet that will cure the problem mate, i would give the tent and everything inside a deep clean too

 

personally i would extract out the wall and draw from in the room

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now