Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

frank0420

Attic growing is it too cold?

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello guys, I'm new to growing and researching as much as I can but cannot find much on loft/attic growing. Its the only room a got to do this.

I hope to build a small loft room using plywood and install a Hydroponics Tent Kit and try out some Autoflowers. My query is the temperature as I'm in the U.K and will this need constant heat and the best way to do this without drying things up?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you

Edited by frank0420
typo

You will need to use insulation boards kingspan/celotex when you build your room 75mm or thicker it’s not cheap but the thicker you go the better , you will also need to heat the air coming into the grow space a proper ducting heater or a oil rad in box with your intake duct running though the box neither are cheap on the electric but it’s what you need if you grow in the loft.

5 people like this

Just now, kronic420 said:

You will need to use insulation boards kingspan/celotex when you build your room 75mm or thicker it’s not cheap but the thicker you go the better , you will also need to heat the air coming into the grow space a proper ducting heater or a oil rad in box with your intake duct running though the box neither are cheap on the electric but it’s what you need if you grow in the loft.

Thank you so much

1 person likes this

@frank0420 cold is easy to deal with. Electric blankets always served me well.

The heat during summer is harder to deal with. Make sure your extraction is good and over spec'd, and  that your fresh air is coming from somewhere cool.

:yinyang:

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Start with photoperiod plants/seeds, 

autos are not really for beginners :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

Edited by Shumroom
Eta
3 people like this

If you're growing over winter and the grow space is well-insulated, you can draw in air from through the floor, assuming the house is heated.  But think about investing in a heat mat with thermo controller to keep the roots above 20C.  In summer though, I'd leave out the loft growing for a few months unless it's really well insulated. 

2 people like this

You can get the occasional winter where you won't need to heat it, last winter was like that for me, must have saved me a fortune in electric. I've grown every summer up there for years, Ok it does get pretty toasty but I do my best yields in summer. As long as the plants get enough water/feed they're fine.

As said already drawing air from inside the house (floor below) is the usual practice and extract through where ever you can. I use the bathroom extractor pipe (with a T piece and backdraft shutter on it).

The benefit of photo period plants is when they're in flower you can run the lights on at night and have them off for the hottest part of the day. They'll use less electric too!!! 

7 people like this

As above I bring air in from my bedroom below but still have to add extra heat when it starts getting really cold, I also grow all year round no breaks for the summer it gets hot but as @KCsaid with plenty of water and air flow it’s not really a issue.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

been a loft grower for a couple of years now,  first summer using leds, didn't need AC this time round and the plants loved the higher temps.

Winter is a different beast but it's been so mild lately, lights on temps have been set at 31. With 1600w of led though, heat source isn't an issue, as long as you've got a heat source for lights off.

I'm using a tent but recommend building an insulated box and also recommended pulling warmer air from another room. The major issue I have is condensation as the outside of the tent is far colder than the inside. A decent dehumidifier keeps on top of this, removing the dew point at lights off.

Adding heat won't dry things up but you'll need to use a humidifier during early veg and a dehumidifier in later growth.

Edited by sweettooth
1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

been a loft grower for a couple of years now,  first summer using leds, didn't need AC this time round and the plants loved the higher temps.

Winter is a different beast but it's been so mild lately, lights on temps have been set at 31. With 1600w of led though, heat source isn't an issue, as long as you've got a heat source for lights off.

I'm using a tent but recommend building an insulated box and also recommended pulling warmer air from another room. The major issue I have is condensation as the outside of the tent is far colder than the inside. A decent dehumidifier keeps on top of this, removing the dew point at lights off.

Adding heat won't dry things up but you'll need to use a humidifier during early veg and a dehumidifier in later growth.

Thanks for the info

Having just moved into a new house, I've been leaving my temp/hygro meters around the house in the bedroom, spare rooms, basement, loft...looking for a spot to put my tent. Recently, the loft and basement have looked like good spots for night time lights on, but tonight, my  loft temps are 4 degrees...

Controlling temps in the UK is fine with autos leaving the lights on. It's when lights go off that temps plummet and RH rockets. I've decided in this location to grow bedside in winter/summer and move to the loft in the spring/autumn with a condensing humidifier for flower.

Low temps can stunt a crop, but high humidity can ruin the lot

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@LEDBOB

If you're able to use the spare room, use it. Vent out the tent into the loft via the ceiling, will save you the hassle of loft growing. Loft growing is an extreme sport and can be a major headache although we do manage it and I've had some awesome crops, you just need to spend more controlling heat, humidity,  etc. Led in summer,  combined led and HID in winter.

If the loft space is your only room to use, build a box out of 100mm insulation board  have a search for loft builds and you'll see plenty of pics on what peeps have built.

The basement if you've got enough head height would be better than the loft, cooler in summer.

ATB

Edited by sweettooth

Just now, sweettooth said:

@LEDBOB

If you're able to use the spare room, use it. Vent out the tent into the loft via the ceiling, will save you the hassle of loft growing. Loft growing is an extreme sport and can be a major headache although we do manage it and I've had some awesome crops, you just need to spend more controlling heat, humidity,  etc. Led in summer,  combined led and HID in winter.

If the loft space is your only room to use, build a box out of 100mm insulation board  have a search for loft builds and you'll see plenty of pics on what peeps have built.

The basement if you've got enough head height would be better than the loft, cooler in summer.

ATB

Great advice thank you, I hve been reading up on building a small Lung room in the attic/loft, say 5x5x5 foot using 18mm chipwood and insulation this with 75mm kingspan.

Inside the room will be a 32"x32"x63" hydro grow tent with a small greenhouse radiator for heat also the air flow intake will be air coming from my hotpress closet below so the air in there is always 22 degress C. Also will instal a dehumidifiers and a humidifier and use a Inkbird and test it all out before anyplants go in. This is what I think could work so far.

12 hours ago, LEDBOB said:

Having just moved into a new house, I've been leaving my temp/hygro meters around the house in the bedroom, spare rooms, basement, loft...looking for a spot to put my tent. Recently, the loft and basement have looked like good spots for night time lights on, but tonight, my  loft temps are 4 degrees...

Controlling temps in the UK is fine with autos leaving the lights on. It's when lights go off that temps plummet and RH rockets. I've decided in this location to grow bedside in winter/summer and move to the loft in the spring/autumn with a condensing humidifier for flower.

Low temps can stunt a crop, but high humidity can ruin the lot

I see there is a humidifier on amazon UK the "Levoit 6L Top-Fill Humidifier" is this the sort of thing I could use?

link-

On 02/01/2022 at 1:33 AM, KC said:

You can get the occasional winter where you won't need to heat it, last winter was like that for me, must have saved me a fortune in electric. I've grown every summer up there for years, Ok it does get pretty toasty but I do my best yields in summer. As long as the plants get enough water/feed they're fine.

As said already drawing air from inside the house (floor below) is the usual practice and extract through where ever you can. I use the bathroom extractor pipe (with a T piece and backdraft shutter on it).

The benefit of photo period plants is when they're in flower you can run the lights on at night and have them off for the hottest part of the day. They'll use less electric too!!! 

Thanks for the advice as I was heading to purchase Autoflowers, I was chatting to a seed company who recommended " Spoetnik #1 or Pandora. " Autoflower that grow well in unpredictable weather...would you recommend a photo period seed for a beginner grower?

1 person likes this