Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KingAether

distilled water for humidifier ?

32 posts in this topic

I'm having a bit of a humidity problem so i'm picking up a small humidifier later, i will take it apart and use the humidistat and sonic disc with a fan to run a bigger diy tank but i'm wondering where people get there distilled water or if there are other alternatives because at £10~ 5l it easily becomes the biggest expense of the grow and my tap water is quite hard. I know i can get de-ionised water for much cheaper all over the highstreet but ive read over and over its not good for use as it still contains minerals. No R.O system here and i rent in a shared space so not sure ill put one in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated because once i take the domes off the humidity in the tent is around 45-50% for seedlings/early veg

Edited by KingAether

I never knew that humidifiers require distilled water.

Been using tap water for mine for 3 grows.

Ooops!

2 people like this

You can get RO water from a pet shop (fish department) 

https://ukjellyfish.co.uk/shop/jellyfish-accessories/ro-water/

I found this one real quick but there should be cheaper, local alternatives....tell them you need for your Koi.

any good ?

Edited by zen-ken
spelling....isnt it always lol
2 people like this

Just now, NathanW said:

I never knew that humidifiers require distilled water.

Been using tap water for mine for 3 grows.

Ooops!

They dont normally....but the OP has really hard water and the scale clogs the sonic emitters up.....you can clean them :yep:

Ill try to find the link for you were the guy runs 'Foliar' water through it instead....the results impressive.

Edited by zen-ken
I should really learn to spell

Couldn't you use collected rainwater?

2 people like this

@FarmerPalmersNT helped me with this about a year ago maybe ???

Hes got a design for a homemade humidifier in his no till diary I believe....similar idea.....some gold right there :yep:

2 people like this

Thanks for the quick answer on this, didn't even consider buying RO water for some reason. Im happy to keep it clean and is part of the reason i'd take the one im getting apart to make a diy one but i heard it leaves a lot of calcium dust around when using the sonic ones?

Edited by KingAether
1 person likes this

Just now, KingAether said:

i heard it leaves a lot of calcium dust around when using the sonic ones?

Yeah powder everywhere including on your plants!

I'd buy an RO filter if I was you or it's going to get very expensive very quickly.

You don't need to plumb them in permanently, you can use a hose tap connector or something.

2 people like this

Just now, KingAether said:

Thanks for the quick answer on this, didn't even consider buying RO water for some reason. Im happy to keep it clean and is part of the reason i'd take the one im getting apart to make a diy one but i heard to leaves a lot of calcium dust around when using the sonic ones?

Would make perfect sense using really hard water.

Its the same with using a foliar feed in one imo.....they guy on IG doing it.....the results looked impressive....... but I did wonder about dry off residue like yourself affecting things.

We really should be using an  IP66 light fixture or were are coming back to a potential fire   :shock: 

(Minimum IP44)

Edited by zen-ken
Thank god for word processors and spell checks lol
1 person likes this

Just now, latigid aikon said:

Yeah powder everywhere including on your plants!

I'd buy an RO filter if I was you or it's going to get very expensive very quickly.

You don't need to plumb them in permanently, you can use a hose tap connector or something.

I've just seen the price of 4-stage RO and its actually well in reason to get one and use it exactly like that; i do have an sink in my room next to where the veg tent will soon be so it makes sense. Any idea if i can get a mini-4-stage that's good for say 5gal a day and not 50 gal a day? If i can get a tiny one and work a little to get it strapped to the back of the humidifier tank and sat on the sink board next to a tent intake that would be grand

1 person likes this

You can use the water from your dehumidifier. RO or distilled is obviously always better but mine runs off the dehumidifier water and sometimes rainwater.

Gets a bit slimy but easily cleaned with a toothbrush once or twice a grow.

4 people like this

There are some smaller 'counter top' RO filters available now but I don't know much about them, I got mine years ago when they were basically all the same!

It's ideal if you can have it by the sink so the waste can just run down the plug hole.

2 people like this

I recently got an RO system for about £80, i just get it out the shed and attach it to the garden tap when needed and fill up a couple of 10l jerry cans which take about 3 hours each.

2 people like this

I think this is the way ill go then because currently seedlings are at 100% rh under domes and then its whatever i can manage with a bowl of water and a flannel near the fan so i need to get the humidifier running and dont want powder all over my roomlol
Looks like i can get a compact 4-stage system that will run way more water than necessary for about £40 

Edited by KingAether
1 person likes this

air still and distill your own water,(cheap on the bay or other sites)

1 person likes this