Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simple Jack

Cannabis use will rise if legalised: study

22 posts in this topic

Cannabis use will rise if legalised: study

More than four per cent of Australians who have never tried cannabis would do, if lawmakers legalised its use, a new study has found.

Research by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre and UNSW Sydney also showed about 2.6 per cent of the overall population are likely to use more cannabis if it was decriminalised.

Legal cannabis consumption would be higher in men, young people and those suffering from mild, moderate or severe psychological stress, the report published on Monday showed.

The study's lead author, Don Weatherburn, said the findings conflict with "the popular view that legalisation of cannabis would not increase consumption".

The study found even small changes in the number of heavy users of cannabis could have significant effects on demand for treatment and drug-related harms, he noted.

If cannabis use is decriminalised, Prof Weatherburn said state and territory governments should be prepared for a possible increase in demand for drug treatment and should invest in public education on the risks associated with frequent or prolonged cannabis use.

Using data from the Australian National Drug Strategy Household survey, the study included Australians aged 14 and over and used random sampling by state and territory, with information drawn from a 2019 survey of about 22,000 people, as well as surveys from 2013 and 2016.

The report noted that a third of Australians aged 14 and over have used cannabis and one in 10 reported using it in the past 12 months at the time of the survey.

"The key unanswered question to emerge from this study is the nature of the relationship between cannabis use and psychological stress," the report reads.

"There is mounting evidence that long-term use of cannabis has adverse effects on memory and attention, but research on the mental health effects of frequent or long-term cannabis use has so far failed to deliver a consistent set of findings."

It is possible cannabis use has both positive and negative effects on anxiety, depending on characteristics of the user, the researchers stated.

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/7356160/cannabis-use-will-rise-if-legalised-study/?cs=9676

It would rise sharply to start with, then drop down again when the thrill has worn off.

1 person likes this

Of course it’ll rise, been suppressed by human ignorance for so long. 

1 person likes this

Bit of a shit study, everywhere that has either decriminalised or fully legalised have seen an overall reduction in cannabis use.  

6 people like this

Yes. I will expand my grow and I promise to wake and bake every day and I promise to introduce as many of my friends and colleagues to cannabis and i promise to give away as much cannabis as I can to people that don't have it and I promise to grow outside, our father, the son and the holy spiritied, dib dib dob.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nonsense study, as I've said before there's nowhere that has decriminalised/legalised for long enough to determine the actual effect of legalisation on consumption. Everywhere is still in the early stages, when an initial rise would be expected, due to the novelty. You can't extrapolate that to the long-term, once the novelty has worn off and it's just a normal thing. As I've also said before I would be astonished if in the long-term use (especially among adolescents) didn't actually go down, because the very fact that it's illegal, that it's naughty. that doing it is breaking the rules is precisely the thing that entices a fair few young people into trying it (it's why I did).

Edited by Boojum
1 person likes this

In a lot of places, "recreational" legalisation was preceded by fairly permissive medical access for those who needed/wanted it ~20 years in Colorado, California and parts of Canada.

Places like Australia and the UK that have fought hard to minimise access to medical cannabis are likely to see an increase on that account. 

It is possible cannabis use has both positive and negative effects on anxiety, depending on characteristics of the user, the researchers stated.

Is it possible the characteristics of the cannabis might also be a factor :mmmmmmm:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Australia's suffering a meth pandemic atm, you'd think they'd try to combat that rather than pursue cannabis users. Best they go and study the long term effects of using of meth, and how many folks actually recover from meth addiction. Then decide which is more damaging to the mind, body, and society.  

Edited by Saddam
7 people like this

I think we'd all like to see less pissheads smashing up the streets and straining health care systems, and we all know the world would be a better place if cannabis was legal and its use freely accepted everywhere.

Recreational is just a term invented to try to separate or criminalise those who take cannabis not for medicinal reasons, but to get 'high'. But the high is therapy, whether in a group or on your own, climbing a mountain, playing video games whatever it's all therapy, which most people need to cope with the fucked up system.

It's all down to lobbying and shifty economics so I can't see much changing in the UK

5 people like this

Just now, junglehaze said:

I can't see much changing in the UK

The article was discussing Australia, and it's pretty fucked up over there with regard to cannabis. Things are slowly changing in the UK, at least some of us have been able to get our hands on prescription cannabis, something I was beginning to doubt would ever happen. 

1 person likes this

It could be true, there are people who actually won't touch it because it's illegal. I know my mates mrs won't touch it even though it would do her good now, instead she is relying on opiate based meds because they are legal. Being legal means it's ok :wallbash:

Prescription cannabis is legal though. :)  

17 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

The study found even small changes in the number of heavy users of cannabis could have significant effects on demand for treatment and drug-related harms, he noted.

lol back to old skool, properganda is it then? disregarding all the positives, investing heavily in fear and not even excepting evidence from countries like america/cannada that have had legal weed for a couple of decades of which the only problems have been big business and governmental legislation, tax etc..

all the figures and data coming back from the states is positive ie no uptake from teens, doesn’t increase other drug use (it decreases it) no increase in hospital visits, no increase in traffic accidents, less time off work, less work accidents, fewer prescription deaths, alcohol consumption down.. the list is almost endless of the positives.. but not in oz? lol 

2 people like this

I talk some righteous shit when I'm stoned but I think I'm right. The problem is the monopoly big pharma has over medicine. Most ailments are down to stress and being overworked by the system, probably most cancers originate from a mutation caused by stress hormones somewhere in life. So if people were given the proper information rather than a fucking glass wine is good for you (more £££€€€ for the booze businesses) then a lot more people would start taking cannabis. Too much of anything is bad for you, but weed can't kill you outright ffs. The list of benefits is endless. Look up rick simpson oil. None of that cbd rubbish compares that's all another bollocks marketing ploy. 

I know people with mental health problems, some quite severe, who are prescribed drugs that tbh have completely taken the life out of them. They say that weed really helps but the street stuff is shit, the doctor says it's bad and wouldn't couldn't ever work, they can't get a prescription and they stay on those drugs, which clearly haven't worked for years. Close friends so I get really fucked off when I think about this stuff.

It's only the last few years that the US has taken a step forward hopefully bumbling politicians around world catch up fast

1 person likes this

@twigs

I think America has only recently joined the legal weed market. Certainly not a couple of decades. They had the most draconian laws anywhere for weed. 

I can't believe how far behind we are. 

I can't imagine weed use going up in this country, everyone is at it.