Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guggsy

Signs Of when Autos need feeding

55 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what to look out for when Auto's need feeding when growing outdoors in pots. I know when to water, if the pots feel light when lifting, but when should you feed them. I read that if you use good soil, they shouldn't need feeding. But some of my larger fan leaves are turning yellow, and when i posted some pictures, on here to ask why, someone said they are hungry and need feeding. But surely when the when fan leaves are going yellow, it might be a little to late. I know there are many reasons why leaves go yellow, but going by my knowledge, it isn't due to over watering, as usually you would see leaf droop, due to leaves holding excess water. It isn't due to PH levels as this mainly affects Hydroponically grown, I am growing in soil, which should balance out the PH levels. My auto's are just coming into flower, about 2.5 weeks. is it a natural cycle for auto's for fan leaves to die off to put energy into buds.

autos will use all the food just like any plant mate, i would get feeding. you don't want it eating it's self to grow the buds, i would stick in some asap

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, Guggsy said:

is it a natural cycle for auto's for fan leaves to die off to put energy into buds.

It is natural for a plant to direct its strength to the most important parts.  When hungry the plant will move what it has.

As above give it some feed, it may have entered flower but still needs nitrogen to grow, which it is now taking from the leaves

1 person likes this

@inmypocket

@ratdog

I gave it a feed yesterday. plant Magic soil bloom. 70ml in 17-18 litres of water bet ween 7 plants. until i got a run off.

I'll give them another feed in a couple of days again. Same quantities. Had a similar issue last year, but last year, i was only giving 14ml of food in 7 liitres of water for 6 plants. I just can't grasp the feeding part. only because the 1st grow ever I got nute burn, ever since then I got scared, for over feeding. 

27 minutes ago, Guggsy said:

I'll give them another feed in a couple of days again.

feeding every watering?

@ratdog

Nope should I be?

maybe after every 2 normal watering.

i've only just upped the dosage from 2ml per litre to 4ml per litre

yesterdays feed was my 1st at 4ml per litre

my watering can holds 7 litres.

so for 7 plants in 11 litre pots i use about 17-18 litres of water.

I know you need to stop feeding 2 weeks before harvest and flush the plants.

Posted (edited)

Yes mate, even with autos feed every water. Especially if they are outside in this sun, nothing could be powering growth faster than this fucking weather at the minute.

what most of us do is start at 50% the manufacturers recommended dose when they are about 3-4 weeks old and then increase it as you go along using the colour of the leaves as a guide on how much to stick in.

the deficiency starts in the new growth first with grow nutrients. You’ll see the tops/main growth/bud sites start going a lighter colour then the leaves around them so you increase it by 1 ml per litre until the growth returns to normal colour. Then stay at that level. 

it’s important to let the pots dry out between feeds as you know, so if you up it a bit and don’t see an improvement by the next day you will still have to wait for the pot to dry out before you can put the next feed in.

giving the plant bloom nutrients too early is what causes the tip burn. So wait until the plant slows it’s upward growth and has a lot of bud sites before adding the bloom nutrient.

a photo would help though. 

also, it’s only really 7 days for flushing but I wouldn’t worry about that now. You’ll need a few harvests behind you to know when a plant is ready for flushing.

best advice I can give is don’t even think about it and wait, when you are looking at the plant thinking it’s ready to harvest it won’t be. They always go longer than you think they will, only when you are looking at it thinking “surely it’s ready now, it’s two weeks after the time on the pack, I could well smoke this”. Then flush it for 7 days but if you do it before you’ll just diminish your harvest by removing food when it needs it. 

Edited by Whatwentwrong
1 person likes this

@Whatwentwrong

large.DSC_0226.jpglarge.DSC_0228.jpglarge.DSC_0229.jpg

Not the best pictures I know but hopefully it shows what I mean. Just out of interest what happens if I don't let the pots dry out first, before feeding?

I'll try and get better pictures today of the most affected plants.

5 people like this

It’s definitely hungry for a grow nutrient.

do you have a grow or just the bloom.

Having a guess at this. I’m gonna say you only have the bloom nutrient and no grow nutrient so you started using the bloom as that is what you have.

the plant needs a different type of nutrient called a grow nutrient to be used before the flowers show.

as it stands now it’s too early for the bloom nutrient so your getting tip burn due to the fact the plant can’t use the potassium that’s been put in and is going light because the bloom nutrient doesn’t contain enough nitrogen for use at this stage in the plants life.

You need to buy a grow and only use grow on the next feed then when the pot drys from that go for a 50/50 mix until it’s full flowering then drop the grow and go to normal strength bloom.

Posted (edited)

@Whatwentwrong

No, I know the pictures don't show it well but the plants are into flower. I only started to give bloom once the plant came into flower. I didn't really use grow when plant was growing. but as soon I started to see the flowers I started the soil bloom.

large.60f6fff25d9f7_budsskunk1.jpglarge.DSC_0224.jpg

Edited by Guggsy
3 people like this

@Whatwentwrong

Yeah I know about the Grow and bloom.

Use grow in Veg stage and Bloom in flower stage. I have got some boost also but never used it, over the 4 years of growing I think I used it once.

Posted (edited)

@Whatwentwrong

You say I need to wait until the pots go dry, the thing is, I was told never to feed plants when the soil is dry as it can burn and shock the roots, water first then feed. hence why i don't wait till soil is dry before feeding. It's just something i was told, this advise wasn't for my special plants, but plants in general.

Edited by Guggsy
missed info

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Guggsy said:

@Whatwentwrong

You say I need to wait until the pots go dry, the thing is, I was told never to feed plants when the soil is dry as it can burn and shock the roots, water first then feed. hence why i don't wait till soil is dry before feeding. It's just something i was told, this advise wasn't for my special plants, but plants in general.

not bone dry but you can’t water a wet pot you have to wait until your next normal feed point.

i don’t water first then feed either, just feed at half strength in every water. I’ll put a bit in first if the pot is dry enough that the soil has come away from the sides but only to let the soil swell back up so the feed solution doesn’t just run straight out the pot down the side of the soil. Then I’ll put the rest of the feed in knowing it’ll go through the soil and not around it. Our plants are from hotter dryer parts of the world so letting the pot dry is no issue. Just not to the point the leaves start drooping

im not sure what you’ve been told but the plants are not coming along as they should and sounds like they didn’t last year either so drop the current method. Start feeding on every water at half the manufactures recommended strength. Use just grow on the next feed and then both grow and bloom after until the plant looks the right colour an is in full flower then drop the grow.

if you checking the pot weight then you should be watering at the right point so just start getting the feed strengths right and it’ll turn around.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Whatwentwrong

never been told that before to use grow and bloom at the same time. I'll give it a go.

Next time I go to feed i'll get a picture of the worst plant. And yes I Do the pot lift thing now. it used to be a finger about 1 inch into soil, but i think pot lift is better.

Cheers Buddy

Edited by Guggsy
1 person likes this