Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Roofless won

QWET

44 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Graywolf said:

You can use the alcohol for more than one extraction.  As it saturates it slows down, but will hold around a third it weight in oil when extracting.

Here is our tek:   https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-7-ethanol-extraction/9-4-7-1-qwet 

Thanks for that nugget graywolf :yep:

I meant to look it up last night but got distracted. 

No need to look now! 

1 3rd the weight of the alcohol is a pretty easy figure to remember too :yinyang:

1 person likes this

I have always thought that freezing fresh buds after a wet trim would be best for long term storage. 

They would need dried and cured before use obviously.

Never heard of anyone doing this but seems a good idea to me.

The Mbn says it takes 4 hours but you can do an 8 hour one which is what I do. Yep chlorophyll and everything. 

Some people leave it in the grow tent after to lose some chlorophyll, I keep meaning to try it.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Roofless won said:

Hi Gray wolf, thanks for taking the time to comment, I note your process includes an oven dry but that's not to decarb is it? If I decarb before extraction which is my intention am I going to remove so much water that the freezing to lock up the chlorophyll becomes ineffective?

No, oven dry isn't for a decarb and we used it primarily to process bulk donated material that wasn't properly cured.  If you remove it from the oven when it is just frangible, it still has enough water to work.  Chilling the longer chain molecules like carotene and chlorophyll also makes them less soluble.  

For prime material, I prefer to remove the fan leaves and hang the plant until the small stems snap, usually around five to seven days.  That leaves about the perfect amount of water, as well as most of the terpenes.  

Instead of grinding to 10 mesh, I usually size prime material around 3/8" to 1/2" before freezing.

Edited by Graywolf
1 person likes this

On 09/07/2021 at 0:38 PM, KC said:

Yes decarb before then I use 14g to a cup (240ml). I have tried way more but it doesn't seem worth the amount of bud really. 

I don't use the freezer method, I use my magical butter machine. It actually heats it rather than freezes. 71celcius I believe. Worth it's weight in gold. It makes other things too of course. Worth a search online. 

I don't do mine on the tongue, I put it in a drink. I have a double gin with bitter lemon but anything will work. 

My mate puts his on beer, I just think that's dirty though lol

Hey KC. Gonna have a go at this on the weekend in my MBM.

When it's done, how much do you need to drop under the tounge / in drink. Like one drop or 1 ml? Don't want to whitey again lol

2 people like this

@Jack?

I have about 10ml mate, I have had a full shot before but that's a bit naughty lol

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, KC said:

@Jack?

I have about 10ml mate, I have had a full shot before but that's a bit naughty lol

Christ was expecting 1 ml lol

If I upped the weed to 2 or 3 Oz to 500ml do you think I could get to a 1 or 2 ml dose?

@Roofless won

Hey dude, its been ages since I done a qwiso and I defo no expert so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I would do fresh frozen leaf/bud (much better flavour) so slightly different from dry/decarb which I know you are doing but as you have so much you might want to experiment with some fresh frozen. The oil was for dabbing so there was no need for the decarb. 

As a result of it being fresh frozen, you only want to shake the frozen leaf/bud with the alcohol for 30 seconds to reduce any chlorophyll being pulled out. Then I would filter through a 25u bag into a glass oven dish, very lightly pressing the bag to get as much alcohol out without releasing to much chlorophyll. I found 500ml alcohol/ethanol to 30grams bud/leaf to be a good ratio however ymmv.  Evaporate outside for obvious safety reasons unless you can safely extract outside. You can then put the bud/leaf that you have just shaken back into your glass jar and re-freeze to do a second extract once its frozen again. This will pull more chlorophyll out so I would use it for cooking/edibles/capsules. As already mentioned, I wouldn't reuse the same alcohol.

Also you could freeze some of the bud up as well, just stick some favourite nugs in some glass jars. Ive found frozen bud to keep for years, literally, however I found the older the frozen bud, the shorter its "fresh" lifespan is once out the freezer and defrosted.  

@Jack?

I did 4oz in just over a ltr and it wasn't that much better so I'd say no mate. Your tolerance could be totally different to mine. 10ml gets me totally mashed. 

Thanks for all the replies guys - lot's to think about. Bloody hell 

KC 10ml?? I was thinking 1 or 2 drops under my tongue - there's no way I'm dropping 10ml into my mouth :) As I was bored on Sunday I built a tric tumbler - just waiting for the mesh to arrive so maybe I will tumble some and see what that looks like then maybe make QWET with whatever I collect

1 person likes this

Don't drop 10ml in, water it down into a drink of something. 

I have a double gin with bitter lemon but whatever takes your fancy. 

1 person likes this

Make some MCT oil instead of tincture that's also a good way of getting some extra shelf life plus o find it easier to dose larger amounts most I have done is 2 tablespoons in protein shake. 2 hours later I wanted to retreat Into a cave. 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just got me some Ethanol to process some of those (micro seeds, ovules, pips), you find in commercial weed,

I have to pick them all out, tend to give me a bad headaches, for most they just make it taste like crap, for me, they swell lymph nodes, so I painstakingly pick them all out :sleep1:

(cant wait to start growing again)

Anyway these little not quite seed things still have a fair old amount Of active ingredient, all of them, I've tried other methods

Bubble bags, dry sift, but the pips break up and contaminate the end product.

I tried QWISO on a small scale, and it worked well, already had 99.98% ISO

literally did it on a tiny scale was about 100 ml ISO, 6/7g grams of material, winterized, evaporated on plate with a fan for 24 hours

and was happy with the results, no contamination, no head aches.

But as I had more to process, I thought I'd get some ethanol with the option of maybe making tinctures and edibles that isn't recommended with ISO.

Have to confess as I'm pretty ignorant about ethanol, I'm a little scared to use it, should I be ?

We are talking small amounts, 100-200 ml in a medium size room with windows open, these amounts with ISO wouldn't worry me.

(I use more cleaning my hydro tube) just it doesn't stick around for 24 hours plus few minutes at most.

Anything I should do different safety wise ? Sorry if it's a stupid question :blushing:, literally my second attempt at using solvents,

Tried to google, but isn't giving me the info in relation to what I'm doing with it.

@Roofless won

@KC,

@Dodgee

@Graywolf

Edited by BarrySHitPeas

@BarrySHitPeas 

You just need to remember it's vapour is very flammable, but then so is Iso so not really much difference there. Just be sensible about it and you should be ok. If you aren't going to be heating it and the space is well vented I can't see a problem. When I make tincture I use 1.2Litres in my magic butter machine (i think it heats to 54c) and I've never had any bother. 

1 person likes this

I made some QWET  on Monday, I put both the bud and ethanol in the freezer for 24 hours, the actual extraction went totally as planned (which is more than I can say about the decarb which was a total disaster) I think the freezing certainly helps to reduce the smell but I doubt it makes it any safer. As long as you aren't heating it I don't see much of a risk tbh

1 person likes this