Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guggsy

PH Testing

Hi people

I hope someone is able to advise me on PH testing the water, when I water my plants.

I purchased a PH tester last night for £30. After reading a few reviews , people where saying not to buy they £10 ones. so I went for Dr-meter, hopefully I will be able to get spare electrodes, when needed. 

Anyway I was just wondering, Is it best to test the water with the feed mixed in the water, or test the run off mixture after watering. I am growing in 11 litre pots with plant magic soil.

I have read when growing in soil the water PH level should be between 6.0-7.0. The feed I use is plant magic soil grow currently, I will move onto Plant Magic soil bloom, once my auto's begin to flower.

The reason I brought the meter is because I have noticed my cash crop Auto the leaves are starting to yellow, which may be due to PH levels, as I have never tested the PH, before watering. I just use normal tap water, and where I am in the UK the water is quite hard. 

I started my autos from seed at beginning of June out doors. And due to the crappy weather we are having here in the UK, I decided to buy a poly tunnel. At least this way I can control the watering, and they will be protected from any high winds, and rain. I just wish there was more sunlight, which I cannot do anything about, what B******T UK summer.

If I have been watering my plants with high PH levels, how do I fix the issue, or is it to late. The autos, are still currently in Veg state, and it is only my cash crop Auto which has yellowing leaves, and it is still a young plant considering when I planted them. My Northern lights, and Skunk 1's seem ok and I have been using the same water, so if the PH levels were high why are not the other plants affected. 

Also how often do you need to calibrate the PH meters.

I use 2ml feed per litre of water, so altogether I use 14ml feed for 7 Litre of water. Using about a 1 litre of water per plant. I have 7 plants in total, in 11 litre pots.

Any advise is much appreciated as always.

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t post Amazon links

No need to ph in soil I’m lead to believe as it acts as a buffer. 

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Curator1 said:

No need to ph in soil I’m lead to believe as it acts as a buffer. 

Yes I have also heard this, that soil acts like a buffer.  But i suppose it wouldn't hurt testing it. I just want to know what is causing the leaf yellowing.  So growing in soil and using water with possible high PH levels wouldn't cause nute lock.

Then the only possible cause could be not enough or not strong enough feed, or overwatering, but if over watering then i would see leaf droop, which I don't. 

Or maybe not enough sunlight.

Over feeding would cause nute burn, which would cause the edges of the leaf start to turn brown.

Do you use silicon or Air stones in a res?  They can throw pH out.  

Start a new thread with pics and details, highly unlikely that it's pH. 

35 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Do you use silicon or Air stones in a res?  They can throw pH out.  

Start a new thread with pics and details, highly unlikely that it's pH. 

No silicone or nothing just straight soil in a pot. that is it. Not sure whether plant magic soil has any extra additives. 

I will put some pictures up. it just the hassle of reducing the size of the pictures as each pictures that is uploaded can only be a certain MB.

I wouldn't worry about the pH, you're growing in compost so there is no need. An 11ltr pot takes about 3ltrs of water/feed on average so it might be worth reviewing your watering practices.

It's a PITA doing the picture resizing isn't it, I'm bloody useless on computers but I did manage it so you should get there. I use infranview 64 to reduce piccies, it's free to use too :magic: 

large.60d863ca76c36_DSC_0192shrunk.jpglarge.60d8637157103_CashcropShrunk.jpglarge.60d85f48734f8_DSC_0190shrunk.jpglarge.60d8635fccba9_DSC_0191shrunk.jpglarge.60d863801c963_Skunk1Shrunk.jpglarge.60d86389e1260_skunk1shrunk2.jpglarge.60d8639606468_Skunk1Shrunk3.jpglarge.60d863b08bdd0_Northernlightsshrunk1.jpglarge.60d863b8486ee_NorthernLightsShrunk2.jpglarge.60d863bfbed0e_NorthernlightsShrunk3.jpgSo this is what I have been growing so far. I started them beginning of june straight into the pots outdoors. But as the weather got crappy i brought a poly grow tent, so they are still out doors but protected from the elements. I just wish we had more sun.

please feel free to comment

Why the pH question dude, what's your issue?  Looks like what might be a bit of pest damage, and you will probably need to start feeding soon.  Not much food in pm compost, start off light though. 

If you were to get busted, what do you think the pigs might say about any pots labelled 'cash crop'?  I'd remove that label and write CC on it. :yep: 

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Saddam said:

If you were to get busted, what do you think the pigs might say about any pots labelled 'cash crop'?  I'd remove that label and write CC on it. :yep: 

I am in a wheelchair mate. It's medicine for me. I not growing to sell personal use only. it helps with muscle relaxation and all that. :yep:

I am in my own garden no prying eyes either especially now they are in a poly tent.

and Cash crop is the name of the plant.

this is my 4th year in growing as well.

Edited by Guggsy
1 person likes this

Just now, Guggsy said:

Cash crop is the name of the plant

Yep, tell that to the judge, I'm sure it'll work in your favour. :lookaround: 

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

Why the pH question dude, what's your issue?  Looks like what might be a bit of pest damage, and you will probably need to start feeding soon.  Not much food in pm compost, start off light though. 

So i am now getting mixed opinions. some places i have read say that the soil has enough nutes to see the whole plant through. your saying PM dosen't have much food in it. 

The Reason I am asking if you look at the pics, starting at the top middle, which is the Cash Crop you can see slight yellowing. So far I have only given the plants 1 feed.

14ml 7 litre, so roughly 1 litre per pot. Max on bottle says 4ml per litre but i think that would be to strong.

I have ordered my PH meter anyway should be delivered today. No harm in checking PH levels.

Just now, Saddam said:

Yep, tell that to the judge, I'm sure it'll work in your favour. :lookaround: 

If I ever did get busted and it goes to court i might set a president. either that or i get to stay in her majesties hoter for a few months. 

But i'd rather grow my own than buy the crap off the streets that is probably laced with god knows what.

If you go to court, you really want to give the impression it's a medical grow, and it's for personal use only. Having plants labelled cash crop is literally giving the CPS the ammunition to blow your mitigation out of court, with one photo. Have a word with yourself. 

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Saddam said:

If you go to court, you really want to give the impression it's a medical grow, and it's for personal use only. Having plants labelled cash crop is literally giving the CPS the ammunition to blow your mitigation out of court, with one photo. Have a word with yourself. 

At the end of the day mate it's a few plants, the name or what I label them as ain't gonna make a shit difference. It isn't like I got a massive grow room cultivating 100 + plants. It's 7 plants for my own personal use. The most that is likely to happen is they would get confiscated and i'd either get a fine or a warning. 

And more than likely if i did get busted the police would see i am in a wheelchair, and say we need to confiscate them, and give me a warning. If I had a shit load of plants growing then it would be a different situation. 

7 plants should see me through a whole year till my next grow if they all come up good. 

1 person likes this