Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pepe16

Peat compost to be banned from 2024

125 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

You reccomending any ?

The ones in the article I shared I guess. Find the site and follow the side by side if your interested. I don't know if any canna specific brands do anything yet, but who cares, its just branding, if its good its good right. The sylvagrow I bought had a nice texture, but I think it had been stored badly and gone a bit sour or something, it was very wet when I opened the bag, so if you can find a good supplier I think you'll be onto a winner. For the sounds of things you'll have to tweak your methods a bit nutrients and watering wise, but nothing major. 

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

The ones in the article I shared I guess. Find the site and follow the side by side if your interested. I don't know if any canna specific brands do anything yet, but who cares, its just branding, if its good its good right. The sylvagrow I bought had a nice texture, but I think it had been stored badly and gone a bit sour or something, it was very wet when I opened the bag, so if you can find a good supplier I think you'll be onto a winner. For the sounds of things you'll have to tweak your methods a bit nutrients and watering wise, but nothing major. 

Thanks alot buddy are you doing living soil or something ? If yes what pot size are you using ?

Edited by LokiVirandell

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

Thanks alot buddy are you doing living soil or something ? If yes what pot size are you using ?

No mate, I use microbes, so same sort of ball park, but I use pots waaaay to small for proper no till/living soil. I use a mixture of dry amendments, which I mix in at the beginning and top dress periodically, alongside home made compost tea and Ecotrhive Biosys.  I'm working on a bokashi bin set up and a worm farm. If I had the space I would for sure be going full no till, it aligns best with my mentality and experience. 

Edited by MindSoup
1 person likes this

Just now, MindSoup said:

No mate, I use microbes, so same sort of ball park, but I use pots waaaay to small for proper no till/living soil. I use a mixture of dry amendments, which I mix in at the beginning and top dress periodically, alongside home made compost tea and Ecotrhive Biosys.  I'm working on a bokashi bin set up and a worm farm. If I had the space I would for sure be going full no till, it aligns best with my mentality and experience. 

Sorry for spam you with questions are you doing coots mix or something ? I been thinking to try it in 3g pot with maybe 35 day veg 10 day solo cup later 2L pot for next 25 days so 35 days veg all together and on switch to Flo put them in 3gallon pot with coots mix but I am abit worried I might run into troubles.

Eventually I will be trying subcool in 3g pots.

Btw that sylvagrow need some perlite or something ? Do you have to water more often or less?

Again sorry for spam you with questions :D

9 hours ago, beep said:

6.2 has been my average using the prev posted mix

peat can have a lower pH than ericaceous compost - the final mix is what matters - both will stabilise if bacteria are healthy

Ericaceous compost favour the ericoid group of vam's. This group dont freely associate with cannabis. If your ericacacious compost is reading 6.2, then it isnt really ericaceous compost. That needs to be in the low 5 high 4 range. It would take an unnecessary ammount of amendment to bring proper ericacious into range. Why bother when there are lots of suitable alternatives?

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

Sorry for spam you with questions are you doing coots mix or something ? I been thinking to try it in 3g pot with maybe 35 day veg 10 day solo cup later 2L pot for next 25 days so 35 days veg all together and on switch to Flo put them in 3gallon pot with coots mix but I am abit worried I might run into troubles.

Eventually I will be trying subcool in 3g pots.

Btw that sylvagrow need some perlite or something ? Do you have to water more often or less?

Again sorry for spam you with questions :D

Always happy to waffle on about stuff but be warned but I'm by no means an expert. I don't really follow any recipe, I re use soil I nabbed from a busted grow op with eco thrive life cycle (almost everything you need in one tub) as the directions state and worm castings (20% of total end volume). Feel free to look through my old threads or message me to learn from my mistakes, or for more info/ further discussion. 

Your  Idea seems fairly conventional so can't see why it wouldn't work. Half decent results are easy tbh, just stay out of their way lol . Its the exceptional results that take all the refinement, up to you how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole. 

TBH I just gave it to my veg patch, it had gone bad, but like I say it looked like it would have been good if stored correctly. I wouldn't ever buy perlite personally, its another thing thats not very good for the environment, also in living soil it will try and rise over time,.so with no till people find alternatives, like lava rock. Build a soil is a brilliant channel to check out on the chube, really in depth  up to date guide on all aspects of organic growing.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, LokiVirandell said:

So there's will be no more Biobizz,tropic mix etc in UK ? What you plans guy for the future ? You think there will be some new brands of soil ? 

I made the decision to go peat free two years ago. I started with Westland's New Horizon Peat Free with which I had reasonable results. However, after it being recommended to me by a gardener I respect I have recently switched to Sylvagrow Peat Free (a bit pricey) but is going OK (so far!).

Of course you could go hydroponics and/or coco.

But, honestly I support the idea to ban the unsustainable harvest of peat.

4 people like this

Fertilefibre are worth a doogle imho

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

Fertilefibre are worth a doogle imho

Thank you. I had not run across them before. (quite pricey in smaller quantities though)

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

Thank you. I had not run across them before. (quite pricey in smaller quantities though)

Question about Sylvagrow Did you noticed any slower growth compare to peat? Does it have already perlite in it ?

Ah sure look if it's not on sale anyone can riddle a few barrows of peat at any wild bog land you're good for an indoor grow for a few years . 

1 person likes this

Just now, LokiVirandell said:

Question about Sylvagrow Did you noticed any slower growth compare to peat? Does it have already perlite in it ?

No there is no Perlite in Sylvagrow. I add 1litre perlite to 10litre Sylvagrow (or any commercial compost) to aid drainage (wet/dry cycle). I also added 80g per 10litre of Ecothrive Charge which may muddy any comparison because I've not used Charge before.

If you compare Westland's New Horizon peat free (I'm not bashing Wesland's here it's perfectly OK, just start nutes sooner) with Sylvagrow peat free, there is a noticable difference in growth. However, another variable at the moment as a loft grower (UK) is the weather is coming into a sweet spot for me too.

Compared to peat composts I've had (a lot) worse.

1 person likes this

I feel like peat free is the LED of the compost world, it seems like a waste of time or the lesser option now, but given time as things progress and more and more people out their time into it, we'll find more and more benefits.

It's not really a question of if we can make it perform as well/better, its more about making a responsible choice. Either we stop using it and figure out a new way, or we run out of it and figure out a new way. 

6 people like this

I'll be honest if I had to use that loam based stuff to save the planet then I could do it, just wouldn't use massive pots. Getting them up the loft ladder is no fun with Ji no3 lol 

I wonder what the Canna companies will do, I don't think any of them are peat free. Maybe they'll ban guano next :g:

1 person likes this

Ehh I think I am going for coots mix in 7 gallon pot that should solve the issue :D