Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MJMan

auto
Autos Pot Size Query

Hi there All

I'm a total noob and was after a bit of confirmation on some stuff re. Autos

As I understand it these types of plant flower regardless of day length, whereas photo-periodicals need a 12:12 light:dark ratio to flick to flowering mode?

My query is on what flicks an Auto to flowering.

I'm assuming that it's related to Pot Size, and if I put one in (totally as an example) a 1L pot and one in 10L pot that the 1L would flower way earlier, whilst the 10L would sit making a larger root ball only to flower when it had taken over the 10L pot?

Is this correct?

I've got my first lot of Auto seeds, and thinking of getting them sown ASAP and then growing on windowsill with a crappy LED light until they go outside in late Apr/early May.

And was thinking of trying different sized Final Pots to see if I can get some staggered cropping and thereby have a bit of early drying & curing practice. Thoughts?

Also, if I plan to do the above windowsill start could you advise a good size pot to keep them in before they get potted into Final 10L fabric pots for outside?

Only have a windowsill and want them to remain discrete if you get my drift (Or would I be better off delaying sowing until maybe April or something?)

Any advice gratefully received - Many thanks in advance

MJMan

1 person likes this

if your plan is to grow them out doors, then wait till may / june before planting them.

i wouldnt be putting them on any window sill, unless you want some unexpected visitors

3 people like this

1 hour ago, MJMan said:

Hi there All

I'm a total noob and was after a bit of confirmation on some stuff re. Autos

As I understand it these types of plant flower regardless of day length, whereas photo-periodicals need a 12:12 light:dark ratio to flick to flowering mode?

My query is on what flicks an Auto to flowering.

I'm assuming that it's related to Pot Size, and if I put one in (totally as an example) a 1L pot and one in 10L pot that the 1L would flower way earlier, whilst the 10L would sit making a larger root ball only to flower when it had taken over the 10L pot?

Is this correct?

I've got my first lot of Auto seeds, and thinking of getting them sown ASAP and then growing on windowsill with a crappy LED light until they go outside in late Apr/early May.

And was thinking of trying different sized Final Pots to see if I can get some staggered cropping and thereby have a bit of early drying & curing practice. Thoughts?

Also, if I plan to do the above windowsill start could you advise a good size pot to keep them in before they get potted into Final 10L fabric pots for outside?

Only have a windowsill and want them to remain discrete if you get my drift (Or would I be better off delaying sowing until maybe April or something?)

Any advice gratefully received - Many thanks in advance

MJMan

I have found that a pot size of 6 gallons when growing outside allows autos to develop their full potential. I don't know if keeping plants in small pots effects their flowering time as I have not done the comparison but I have found that autos grown outside take longer to flower and grow bigger than it says on the packet. 

I usually start my plants on a south facing window sill mid April to get them outside early May. I start them off in 2 inch pots and usually repot them once and sometimes twice before they go into their final pots outside.

1 person likes this

@Stuart96 On the grow I just finished I had 10 plants in a range of pot sizes, from 7.5l to 30l and there was a noticeable difference in finishing time as well as plant size. The ones in 30l were about twice the size but were about 1.5 -2weeks behind the ones in the smallest pots, it made a bigger difference than I would have thought.

@MJMan pot size does make a difference but probably not enough to stagger the grow in the way you want. If you want to stagger the crop your best bet is to stagger the planting I would have thought, although have no guerilla growing experience so not sure how much of a window you have when growing autos outdoors, sure someone else will chime in. Also as @badbillybob points out, I'd be very cautious about starting them on your window sill, its pretty bait and even in veg, especially if you have more than a couple, they can be quite smelly.

3 people like this

Just now, btk1977 said:

@Stuart96 On the grow I just finished I had 10 plants in a range of pot sizes, from 7.5l to 30l and there was a noticeable difference in finishing time as well as plant size. The ones in 30l were about twice the size but were about 1.5 -2weeks behind the ones in the smallest pots, it made a bigger difference than I would have thought.

Thanks for that @btk1977. That's good info to have. I thought that might be the case but had no data to support it.

2 people like this

Thanks for your advice @btk1977, @Stuart96 & @badbillybob - Much appreciated.

Looks like I maybe waiting anothr month or so  - So tempting to at least start one seed off though.

On the windowsill front, it's a small window, and though it is visible, I'll also be starting off my tomatoes and chilles, so anything else'll be camoflaged to some extent.

When growing a bagseed plant when I was a kid I used a huge 3L Coke bottle over the pot as a mini-greenhouse in early stages and that'd hide a plant, especially when it mists up.

BUT...I'm not sure if that's a recommended environment....I read so much about the need for good airflow...

Thanks again :yep:

1 person likes this

Yes you need to be a bit careful containing a plant (any plant) like that. Plants need CO2 to thrive. They just hoover the stuff up. They need access to fresh air and of course pathogens can thrive in such an environment.

Good luck with the grow - I’m also doing an autoflower grow for the first time, but indoors. I should have had put them in 10L pots after they got big enough to transfer......next grow!

If you do put them in the window sill - maybe put a few other herbs like basil, mint and rosemary to camouflage the cannabis 

Translucent window film is useful for seedlings.

The Window Film Company Window Film, Frosted at John Lewis & Partners