Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Sir Keir Starmer says he opposes relaxing drugs laws and insists he is ‘proud’ to be patriotic

25 posts in this topic

hi

Sir Keir Starmer says he opposes relaxing drugs laws and insists he is ‘proud’ to be patriotic

Supporters hold placards promoting the use of cannabis as a medicine, during a 'Tea Party' organised by the United Patients Alliance (UPA), with food and drink products containing cannabis, opposite the Houses of Parliament in central London on October 10, 2017. The United Patients Alliance (UPA) invited members of the public to the event to "stimulate crucial public debate on the need to allow access to the drug for patients suffering chronic pain conditions". / AFP PHOTO / Daniel LEAL-OLIVAS (Photo credit should read DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images)

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has ruled out a liberalisation of drug laws, stating he had “seen too much damage” in his past role as a prosecutor.

When quizzed about the decriminalisation of cannabis on Sky News’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday programme, Sir Keir replied: “I’ve never subscribed to that view.

“When I was director of public prosecutions, I prosecuted many, many cases involving drugs and drug gangs and the criminality that sits behind, and it causes huge issues to vulnerable people across the country. I’ve never gone down that route.”

The leader suggested that the Government’s current policy on drugs is “roughly right” but “there’s always room for a grown-up debate about how we deal with these cases.”

There “may be something” in giving cautions for “low-level crime”, he added.

Campaign group CLEAR Cannabis Law Reform responded via Twitter: “This is the state of our so-called political leaders on drugs policy.

“We expect govt to advocate for the status quo but when Keir Starmer, with a background in criminal justice, cannot manage a single new idea, it demonstrates a complete absence of leadership.”

His comments mark a move away from previous remarks on this issue made during the Labour leadership televised debate in February 2020.

When asked if he would decriminalise cannabis as leader of the Labour Party, Sir Keir replied: “I wouldn’t immediately.

“I have supported schemes where cannabis possession… you’re not arrested for it, you’re not prosecuted for it. And I believe in that.”

Sir Keir’s words will come as a blow to campaigners who have called for drug addiction to be treated as a health issue, rather than a criminal matter.

In September 2020, a group of Labour MPs and then-Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard called on Sir Keir to back urgent drug law reforms in a bid to save lives.

The Labour Campaign for Drug Policy Reform (LCDPR), a collective run by party members and backed by 15 Labour MPs and four MSPs, including Alex Sobel, Jess Phillips and Rachael Maskell, published a report arguing that the “war on drugs has failed”.

The group called for a “new progressive approach to drugs” citing research revealing that drug-related deaths are at an all-time high in the UK, with 5,546 fatalities in 2018 alone, a 47 per cent increase from 2013.

Adapting a health-based model instead of a punitive approach, priority investment in treatment and recovery programmes that help people overcome addiction, and an expansion of drug-checking services that inform users of what is in the drugs they are using are just some of the seven recommendations made by the group.

Drug-related deaths reached their highest point in 2020 since comparable records began in 1993, according to the Office of National Statistics (ONS), with higher fatality rates in deprived areas.

There were 4,393 deaths related to drug poisoning registered last year, compared with the previous record of 4,359 in 2018, the ONS said. The statistical body added that the 0.8 per cent increase in deaths was expected.

Change Grow Live, the UK’s largest drug and alcohol treatment provider, said the figures are at “crisis levels.” 

“The drug-related crisis has been worsening for over a decade. At the heart of the trend is a perfect storm of factors; disinvestment, an ageing population of people using drugs, and increasingly complex health needs.”

Mr Moody said the pandemic would worsen the issue, with “stretched” services going above and beyond to meet the demand.

“Adding to these challenges, the global coronavirus pandemic has, and continues to, impact vulnerable people most. This includes people with chronic health problems linked to drug use and people without a place to live,” he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, the leader of the opposition defended his drive to embrace patriotism, after some on the left of the party questioned his actions.

“The whole Labour movement is very patriotic,” he said. “We are in politics to change our country for the better – you can’t get more patriotic than that. I’m very, very comfortable with it.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-drug-liberalisation-laws-health-crime-881386

Bongme

2 minutes ago, bongme said:

We are in politics to change our country for the better

Well thats fucking bollocks clearly. 

19 people like this

God help us. Punishing drug users decade after decade hasn't and nor will it ever work. 

Fucking twonk.

10 people like this

29 minutes ago, bongme said:

“When I was director of public prosecutions, I prosecuted many, many cases involving drugs and drug gangs and the criminality that sits behind, and it causes huge issues to vulnerable people across the country. I’ve never gone down that route.”

Erm, wouldn't legalisation stop this?. The bloke is a shiney face goon.

This is the fucker that got the cops off that shot Jean Charles da Silva de Menezes in the face while sitting on the underground because he had a dark face and a back pack....

Edited by Farmer Fett
spelling
8 people like this

Each time I think that ham faced bastard can't slip any further in my esteem he comes out with some utter fucking bullshit like this. Tory drug policy is literally killing people, which Kieth knows full well, but keeping up his 'sensible' politician act and passing the right wing tabloid acceptability test is all that little shit cares about.

18 people like this

Hi

2p

Notice none of them will let you vote on it :soap:

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has ruled out a liberalisation of drug laws, stating he had “seen too much damage” in his past role as a prosecutor.

So the whole of the UK is not allowed to vote on cannabis or drug laws just because of your passed Job? so it's effectively only your outlook and not the whole of the UK's voting outlook (cannot get EU dictatorship out of your systems in the Parliament, can they) This is a public vote in the millions not just your outlook in Lonon Parliament! FFS Grow up and let the public vote of it you know as a real democracy! 

Well if you changed the fucking laws you would not see this in court would you FFS :soap:

Once again just what you think so it looks like your not going to make a good leader are you as it's only you and 650 think in London not the 70 million people in the whole of the UK think and want! this same old some old over and over and nothing new or different just the same outlook again! it been for the last 100 years the UK :soap:

This why I don't vote for these old London parties I find they too old fashion in outlook and thinking too out of date for me :soap:

these old parties have...

No Fright By Live Wire (1979 a band that did not get big but should of)

Bongme :yinyang:

Edited by bongme
6 people like this

38 minutes ago, bongme said:

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has ruled out a liberalisation of drug laws, stating he had “seen caused too much damage” in his past role as a prosecutor.

fixed

11 people like this

getting to dislike him more than the tories or maybe equal

10 people like this

He is just another bLiar which is worse than regular tories imho at least ye ken tories are cunty fucks that dinna gie two shits about owt but themselves but liebore act like they on our side when really they are just slimy wannabe tory fucks wearin a different colour boxers

Fuck stammer fuck liebore :yep:

6 people like this

I'm more concerned that he thinks a minister of the crown acting unlawfully should not resign.

Cheers :smokin:

7 people like this

I think he's a first class clusterfuck of a human being, he should be publically castrated and shot.... Cunt 

Happy Sunday lol

8 people like this

Who gives a fuck what he thinks, his opinion is irrelevant, even someone far more up to the job has no hope of any influence with this government. Every time he opens his mouth I lose a little more respect for him. Like many people Jezza reignited my hopes for some sort of rationality and progress but seeing what they did to him has convinced me that there really is no hope for our political system. Back to militant anarchism I go. 

15 people like this

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Who gives a fuck what he thinks, his opinion is irrelevant, even someone far more up to the job has no hope of any influence with this government. Every time he opens his mouth I lose a little more respect for him. Like many people Jezza reignited my hopes for some sort of rationality and progress but seeing what they did to him has convinced me that there really is no hope for our political system. Back to militant anarchism I go. 

Same here on every point you've made!

3 people like this

Hi

Wee add On

Ex-drug cops slam Labour leader Keir Starmer for his comments on cannabis

The Labour leader's comments have been condemned

A group of police chiefs have slammed Sir Keir Starmer's comments on cannabis - plus his overall stance on drug criminalisation.

In an interview with Sky News, the Labour Party leader said he was against relaxing drug laws.

Starmer was asked whether he thought there was a case for decriminalising cannabis possession.

He said he had "never subscribed to that view", adding "when I was Director of Public Prosecutions, I prosecuted many, many cases  - or my team did - involving drugs and drug gangs and the criminality that sits behind".

Starmer, who was appointed Queen's Counsel (QC) in 2002, said drugs "cause huge issues for vulnerable people across the country".

He went on to claim "I've seen too much of the damage that sits behind drugs for me to go down that route".

Starmer agreed that the UK's current drug policy is "roughly right".

However, these comments have been condemned by the Law Enforcement Action Partnership (LEAP UK).

LEAP UK is a group of senior police officers and law enforcement figures who believe the UK's drug laws need a complete rethink.

The organisation includes police chiefs, ex-undercover detectives, former MI5 officers and military personnel - all of whom subscribe to the view that the current system is "destined to fail".

In an exclusive statement provided to JOE, LEAP said it is "deeply concerned" with Starmer's stance on drug policy.

"We are deeply concerned and regret to hear Mr Starmer's comments, with his belief that our drug policy is 'roughly right'," began the statement.

"We currently have the worst number of drug deaths on record, we have more people in prison than ever before, and we now have new tactics for organised crime groups such as county lines."

LEAP say the perceived success of major drug busts only "displaces and exacerbates the problem", adding "crime groups have diversified their supply chains, having tremendous success in doing so, reaping more profits than ever before, and exploiting vulnerability more than ever".

The organisation also believes the violent crime Starmer mentions is a result of drug criminalisation.

"Mr Starmer highlights the dovetailing issues such as knife crime and the inherent criminality that goes with drugs, but this is wholly down to the fact we have not changed this legislation in 50 years despite overwhelming evidence for sensible reforms.

"Prohibitions, as historically shown in the past, serve only to inflate prices and goods become much fought over commodities.

"Organised crime groups flourish and become ever more violent in the pursuit of dominance to control the market."

Police chiefs within LEAP believe "responsible regulation" would take "the profits and control away from organised crime".

https://www.joe.co.uk/politics/drug-cops-keir-starmer-cannabis-264591

Bongme

2 people like this

It’s a shame the LEAP perspective wasn’t put to the Tory shit when he was being interviewed.

2 people like this