Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bloby

Droopy plants

At the time of the problem:

Day temp: 23c

Night temp: 15/16c

Coco

Potted up from seed in a root riot to these about 10 days ago

Fed once with Vita Link plant start but was topping up with phed tap water fairly regularly

Under 75w LED board, about 30-40cm

Humidity day 60%

Night 80%

I didnt get enough light to them soon enough after they sprouted and as a result they were very leggy so I've buryed some of the stem, and will bury more on the next repot. (good idea?)

Night temps dont go below 22c now after learning they were too cold and I have stopped watering as I'm fairly sure thats what caused it. Any extra input is greatly appreciated to put my mind at ease.

How long should it take for them to recover if the cause was overwatering/lack of oxygen? They seem to be getting worse rather than better so far.

Thanks for your time :)

large.Trop5.jpglarge.Trop4.jpglarge.Trop3.jpglarge.Trop2.jpglarge.Trop1.jpg

1 person likes this

Yep burying the stem a bit deeper when you pot up is a good idea imo. They definitely look like they've suffered from cold, will take a good couple of days of the warmer night temps for them to pick back up. Just be careful not to correct too far in the other direction re the watering.

1 person likes this

When you say topping up with ph'd water? you mean just giving them bit of a watering on top? Haven't grown with led but seen a set up in a shop, much more that 75w and even that didn't feel hot tbh. Only say that as imagine they wouldn't dry out the tops of the pot super fast like a close hps. I just water once until slight run off. Then water again when the pots are fairly light. Cold temps sorted is only gonna improve things.

2 people like this

You definitely want to get those temps up otherwise you'll have issues like me on my Dutch Passion Winter LED grow diary - take a peak. Ive had to resort to Metal Hallids for the time being as its too cold and they were looking very poorly.

Im in coco and use vitalink so take what you need from that bud. They'll turn around. Id also switch to a light A&B feed with some root stim

Edited by sweettooth
3 people like this

2 hours ago, btk1977 said:

Yep burying the stem a bit deeper when you pot up is a good idea imo. They definitely look like they've suffered from cold, will take a good couple of days of the warmer night temps for them to pick back up. Just be careful not to correct too far in the other direction re the watering.

This is my first time growing from seed so I dont have good instincts yet, the pots are feeling pretty light now so would you say giving them more water is wise despite them still drooping?

1 hour ago, stummer said:

When you say topping up with ph'd water? you mean just giving them bit of a watering on top? Haven't grown with led but seen a set up in a shop, much more that 75w and even that didn't feel hot tbh. Only say that as imagine they wouldn't dry out the tops of the pot super fast

like a close hps. I just water once until slight run off. Then water again when the pots are fairly light. Cold temps sorted is only gonna improve things.

I was using a syringe to give them 10/20mls fairly regularly but without runoff. You're right, the LEDs do emit some warmth but are are certainly not hot so they arent drying out the medium. With a weak nutrient solution would you say watering till runoff is best or watering little bits untill they develop more?

58 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

You definitely want to get those temps up otherwise you'll have issues like me on my Dutch Passion Winter LED grow diary - take a peak. Ive had to resort to Metal Hallids for the time being as its too cold and they were looking very poorly.

Im in coco and use vitalink so take what you need from that bud. They'll turn around. Id also switch to a light A&B feed with some root stim

Certainly reasuring to see yours recover, looking good man :) I've saved that flowchart to my harddrive no doubt itll come in handy. Ey I've got myself a hydrolab tent too, I went for the 1.6x0.8. It goes along my back wall nicely and tucks just behind the door when its open. The number of socks for intake/outtake is a definate plus for me. Fingers crossed it doesnt explode, its difficult to decide on a brand!

Thanks for the response's everyone, really is helpful to me

Edit: I have some seaweed fertilizer, would a foliar feed at this stage be a good idea or is it too soon?

Edited by Bloby

@Bloby when you do water you want to water thoroughly and make sure the compost if fully saturated. Although its not a necessity to water to overrun with compost it does guarantee that you are saturating the medium. If you do just little waterings you will end up with dry patches that cause problems with the roots and are quite hard to moisten back up.

From the photos it looks to me like they are probably due a water around  now but it is hard to tell from photos.

One of the tricks I use is I scoop a small amount of compost between finger and thumb and give it a good squeeze, if water comes out then give it another day and check it again. For this to work properly though it's best to have a layer of clay pebbles on top of the compost otherwise the top layer isnt particularly representative of the rest of the compost. Other benefit of layer of clay pebbles is the roots can use all of the compost as that isnt the top layer that has to go bone dry before the rest of the compost is ready to water (it also makes watering easier imo).

1 person likes this

@btk1977 Alright they'll be getting some water in a moment. Poor lil things

I'm actually using coco coir rather than compost, does what you said still apply re giving a top layer of pebbles being a good idea?

I just turned one around and noticed these lil spots. They look more rusty coloured in person. oh dear

large.Trop6.jpg

Edited by Bloby
1 person likes this

They arent taking up the nutes, mine started like that

1 person likes this

@Bloby ahh assumed it was a compost mix due to the perlite (there's no need for perlite when growing in coco). Different rules apply with coco, sure someone with more experience of it will chip in, but as far as I am aware the wet dry cycle doesn't apply with coco, it needs to be kept moist, watered more frequently than compost and you need iirc 10-20% runoff. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Bloby said:

Coco

Fed once with Vita Link plant start but was topping up with phed tap water fairly regularly

This is your issue. 

5 people like this

Coco = feed every time ph5.8-6.2 works perfect, at the stage they are at now you want around EC1.0 - 1.2. Nutrient feed at 22-24c - Temps lights on 29c-30c RH65%, lights off no less than 20c should see them right and praying to the light.

Never just feed plain water in coco.

Toke...

6 people like this

When moving onto the next pot size  it might be as handy to mix up your coco with compost and call it a light compost mix, and you don't have to worry about feeding so much or pH. They're definitely hungry. 

I have a cut and a few seed plants growing slow and suffering from the cold, also like mentioned, wet and dry spots. The past week or more I suppose , a strong East wind just permeates the grow area. Because it was cool I added more light. A 315 cmh, and it's on 24 hours. They respond well, perked up for a day, but the top half of the compost got very dry, and with two or three pots, still a little wet and heavy at the base.Even with a heat mat. Then, adding emerging seedlings to the low light and warm floor didn't help them much! 

Edited by Michael Luchóg
2 people like this

Good news! Just poked my head in today and saw this

large.Trop7.jpg

Thank you so much for all your help :) I'll do my best to return it when I'm more experienced.

20 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

This is your issue. 

20 hours ago, tokenroll said:

Coco = feed every time ph5.8-6.2 works perfect, at the stage they are at now you want around EC1.0 - 1.2. Nutrient feed at 22-24c - Temps lights on 29c-30c RH65%, lights off no less than 20c should see them right and praying to the light.

Never just feed plain water in coco.

Toke...

@fatboy77@tokenroll I might have been a little unclear here. The tap water was before I had given them their first feed (<10 days after germination), would you still advise against this? My water is 0.4ec

Thanks again

2 people like this

20 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

When moving onto the next pot size  it might be as handy to mix up your coco with compost and call it a light compost mix, and you don't have to worry about feeding so much or pH. They're definitely hungry. 

I have a cut and a few seed plants growing slow and suffering from the cold, also like mentioned, wet and dry spots. The past week or more I suppose , a strong East wind just permeates the grow area. Because it was cool I added more light. A 315 cmh, and it's on 24 hours. They respond well, perked up for a day, but the top half of the compost got very dry, and with two or three pots, still a little wet and heavy at the base.Even with a heat mat. Then, adding emerging seedlings to the low light and warm floor didn't help them much! 

Put an inch or two of clay pebbles on top of the compost, it stops the top layer drying out way faster than the bottom layer, makes watering easier and allows the roots to use more of the compost. Its a simple little thing but makes quite a big difference.

1 person likes this