Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Cannabis card aims to protect legal users

72 posts in this topic

hi

Cannabis card aims to protect legal users

The Telegraph

More than a million people in the UK will be eligible for an identity card that will allow them to grow their own cannabis at home

Buying or growing cannabis for medicinal use will be effectively decriminalised for drug users who carry a new “get out of jail free” card to stop them being arrested. 

More than a million people in the UK will be eligible for an identity card, backed by police, that will allow them to grow their own cannabis at home or buy it from drug dealers.

Although cannabis is now legal to prescribe for some conditions in the UK, few prescriptions have been issued on the NHS, forcing patients to ask for the drug from expensive private clinics. 

Many choose instead to grow their own cannabis or buy it on the street. Patients say it alleviates symptoms of chronic pain, migraines and nausea, but they fear being arrested and prosecuted.

The National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and Police Federation have backed the “Cancard” - a driving licence-style card designed by campaigners that can be shown to police to encourage them to be lenient.

The scheme is run by campaigners, not by the Government, but police bodies will ask officers to respect its users and their medicinal intentions.

Every police officer will receive an information pack from the NPCC asking them to use discretion if they encounter a medicinal user of cannabis, and suggesting they are not arrested.

Officers will be encouraged to contact a hotline to advise them to be lenient on medicinal users.

Growing and consuming cannabis outside specific medical circumstances will remain technically illegal, but police say their time is wasted pursuing users who are “simply unwell” and they will not enforce the law.

To be eligible for the scheme, which launches tomorrow with 15,000 users, patients must obtain a letter from their GP to prove they have a condition for which cannabis oil can be prescribed. Around 1.1 million people in the UK are thought to be eligible.

The conditions include PTSD, anxiety, chronic pain, migraines and Crohn’s disease.

Campaigners say people with the cards will be able to grow their own plants or buy cannabis on the street and smoke it in a joint or e-cigarette, which can reduce their symptoms.

Jason Harwin, the NPCC lead officer for drugs and Deputy Chief Constable of Lincolnshire Police, said arresting patients who are taking cannabis because of their health conditions “can’t be acceptable”.

“This is a really live issue, where the police service finds itself stuck in the middle of a situation where individuals should legitimately be accessing their prescribed medication, but, because of availability and cost they can’t and therefore to address their illness rely on having to use illicit cannabis,” he said. 

“This can’t be acceptable and places the service in a position where we could be criminalising someone because of their illness.”

The Cancard scheme was conceived by Carly Barton, a fibromyalgia patient who is eligible for a legal medicinal cannabis prescription but self-medicates with black market cannabis because of the cost of the drug.

She said: “We all know that cases where patients have proved legitimate medicinal use are unlikely to make it to court, and if they do these cases are consistently dropped. 

“This is especially the case when a patient presents with a condition that is being privately prescribed for. There is currently no way of identifying these people before emotional distress has been caused and public resources have been wasted. 

“There is an opportunity to provide something that changes this by way of providing a service that benefits both the patients and the police. 

“Cancard should give patients peace of mind and police confidence in using their discretion before any stress has been caused to vulnerable people.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/28/cannabis-card-aims-protect-legal-users/

Bongme

5 people like this

Is this genuine?  Surely not?

20 minutes ago, bongme said:

a driving licence-style card designed by campaigners that can be shown to police to encourage them to be lenient.

That is not the same as "legal" or "decriminalised" at all you will still be subject to the whims of a prick cop who could just be in a cunt o a mood cause he didnae get his hole last night 

Irresponsible as fuck journalism that  

11 people like this

IMHO there will be officers that may take the card into consideration, but

there will be a lot more that will just treat it as a card carrying criminal:skin_up:

51 minutes ago, McHazy said:

That is not the same as "legal" or "decriminalised" at all you will still be subject to the whims of a prick cop who could just be in a cunt o a mood cause he didnae get his hole last night 

41 minutes ago, thatman said:

IMHO there will be officers that may take the card into consideration, but

there will be a lot more that will just treat it as a card carrying criminal:skin_up:

Not really, if you have a valid prescription then there's fuck all the pigs can do anyway, the card should save you from the hassle of having to prove you're a medical user. 

Personally, I'd rather let them read me my rights, cuff me and drive 1 hour to nearest police station, then bust out the card and prescription at the custody desk lol  then have them done for false arrest, false imprisonment and harassment. 

If a few hundred people do the same thing, they'll soon tire of paying compensation to folks and hopefully stop arresting people for weed.

Edited by Saddam
7 people like this

I take it ye only get one if ye have a legal scrip then?

1 person likes this

I'm not sure if you can get Cancard without having a valid prescription, but having a prescription and a card to prove you have a medical condition which requires a Cannabis prescription would certainly mitigate any circumstances for prosecution. 

If there's  a pig at the door, put on the GoPro and hit record, spark up a joint and answer the door. lol  

4 people like this

1 hour ago, bongme said:

More than a million people in the UK will be eligible for an identity card that will allow them to grow their own cannabis at home

That's bollox for a start !!  

People will never be allowed to grow their own without any interference from authority. Field day for forgers with yet another card to make money from.

3 minutes ago, Saddam said:

have them done for false arrest, false imprisonment and harassment. 

Then you'd be done for wasting police time, obstruction and general fucktheofficeraroundedness...:russian:

:rofl:

5 people like this

21 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Then you'd be done for wasting police time, obstruction and general fucktheofficeraroundedness...:russian:

Why? We get the same jobsworth pig knocking doors in the village, sniffing for weed. How the fuck would I be wasting police time or obstructing if I answer the door to the cunt? lol  

Edited to add - He's already forced entry here once with his pcso assistant, cuffed me, read me my rights, then proceeded to search my house without a warrant. Found nothing and de-arrested me and fucked off. 

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bongme said:

“Cancard” - a driving licence-style card designed by campaigners that can be shown to police to encourage them to be lenient

Until they are legally obliged to let you go you can fuck off 

3 people like this

53 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Found nothing and de-arrested me and fucked off. 

I've had this bollox as well, when I complained to my brief he said their stock argument is " there was a case to answer "

Not much comfort to me after losing everything during tme on remand, only to walk away with a not guilty...:wallbash:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, OctoMan said:

Is this genuine?  Surely not?

Yeah i read about the Cancard a couple of months ago. Let's just hope doctors get educated about cannabis otherwise no one will end up getting one.

But decriminalisation is what is needed at the end of the day.

Edited by Military Grade
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

Personally, I'd rather let them read me my rights, cuff me and drive 1 hour to nearest police station, then bust out the card and prescription at the custody desk lol  then have them done for false arrest, false imprisonment and harassment. 

Knowing the pigs they would charge you with withholding evidence and wasting police time lol

1 person likes this

It's barely a band aid. We need to confront the government on it's bullshit. Then we won't need any BS cards.

Fight the power. 

3 people like this

It's a start so we should not complain.

8 people like this