Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Spy in the sky! Police thermal imaging drone uncovers huge Birmingham cannabis factory

hi

Spy in the sky! Police thermal imaging drone uncovers huge Birmingham cannabis factory

At the same time, the airborne camera also picked up a stolen car leading to the arrests of four people for burglary.

A police drone deployed to help hunt for car thieves ended up pinpointing a huge Birmingham cannabis factory.

The discovery was made by officers after the drone was used to search for suspects thought to be behind the theft of a car.

After officers discovered the stolen vehicle, the kit was deployed to provide live aerial footage, helping to track down a man who was subsequently arrested.

At the same time the drone's thermal imaging picked up a heat source and officers found a large cannabis set-up across four rooms.

The discovery comes in the same week West Midlands Police launched their latest drone - the new DJI Matrice 300.

The force now has a total of eight aircrafts with the latest high tech gadget - able to stay in the air for up to 55 minutes and also waterproof, enabling it to be used during bad weather.

Drones are 'an asset' to the force and are now used 24/7 to help find vulnerable or missing people, track suspects, capture evidence at crime scenes and provide live aerial footage at events such as protests. They are also playing a big part in the security planning for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

This year alone they have been deployed to more than 2,000 incidents.

The drones have also been instrumental in clamping down on Covid rule-breakers.

Back in August, West Midlands Police used a drone to help to clear a 200-strong group of "selfish" people holding an illegal rave in Birmingham city centre.

The event was being held on Hampton Street close to the St Chad's Cathedral and Snow Hill side of the city centre.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/spy-sky-police-thermal-imaging-19322935

Bongme

2 hours ago, bongme said:

huge

2 hours ago, bongme said:

across four rooms.

:wanker:

2 people like this

1 hour ago, bongme said:

The drones have also been instrumental in clamping down on Covid rule-breakers.

Back in August, West Midlands Police used a drone to help to clear a 200-strong group of "selfish" people holding an illegal rave in Birmingham city centre.

The event was being held on Hampton Street close to the St Chad's Cathedral and Snow Hill side of the city centre.

It really has become Robocop Northkorea, I mean when you think about it, people like you and me and the rest of us happen to take time out to enjoy rolling a few joints or engage in aerobic fun dancing with friends:gossip::) that's what being targeted with a ruthless punishing military precision in the continual sneaking drug war. Your lives and entertainment, sources of enjoyment, have become the training targets for punishment squads, quite sickening, it's a cold war.

8 people like this

The drones able to stay in the air for 55 minutes lol i wonder what weight they can carry,, it shouldnt be to long before these are channel hopping with parcels

6 people like this

Bollocks.

Police found the 'cannabis factory' because someone grassed, then told the press it was a thermal imaging drone to hide the identity of the grass and further spread the bullshit propaganda that they can find grows with thermal imaging drones. Any defence counsel worth their salt would get a case thrown out of court if they genuinely found a grow with a thermal imaging drone, it's invasion of privacy, same as if the police use listening equipment to overhear a conversation in a house without a warrant.

5 people like this

2 minutes ago, Boojum said:

someone grassed, then told the press it was a thermal imaging drone

They may have sent the drone up after someone dropped the dime to gather more evidence in order to get a warrant...

Certainly not before...:no:

3 people like this

Yeah but, this article from 2014 is really worth looking at to start getting real about today's world of snooping. I tried to copy and paste but it won't do.

It's worth having a glimpse to familiarize ourselves on the subject, and keep in mind the article is from 2014,

Here's a snippet. . .

"if you break the law then you enter me and my drone’s world"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606972/Thieves-using-heat-detecting-60-drones-bought-supermarkets-spot-cannabis-farms-break-steal-drugs.html

:eek:

2 people like this

That's me fucked then.  Must stop setting my house temps to 30C for all the sadomasochistic baby oil gatherings.

3 people like this

Great, yet more militarisation of the police just slipping under the radar, as if its not bad enough that we're already one of the most filmed and surveilled countries in the world, our police are now being equipped with drones to spy on us. The willingness with which we have thrown away our civil liberties is shocking. Its bad enough with the current bunch in power, but as we've seen all around the world its really they can get so much worse, so quickly and there is already an infrastructure in place: cctv, anpr, internet logging... to make so easy from to completely quash any kind of disent. Suppose its what comes from having one of the world's most rabidly right wing presses banging on about law&order 24/7 and making so many people terrified of completely the wrong things/people.

Re the the thermal imaging, sounds like it was a full house grow rather than just a couple of tents, if they've got several thousand watts in lights running it is the sort of thing they probably can pick out if the grow house was sloppily set up. Really don't think its anything for most of us to worry about though. A couple of kw of light aren't putting out ridiculous amounts of heat in grand scheme of things (oil rads use 2kw...) and with the ventilation required to keep the plants alive there won't be any major disparity in the temperatures of the rooms of the house. I've had thermometers all over house over the last few weeks (not grow related) and the room the tent is in is at most 1c higher than most of the other rooms and often the same temp as most of them, how is a thermal imager meant to see that! They identify patterns they don't see through walls.

2 people like this

Isn't there something within property law stating that the land you own extends up to a certain altitude?  So anything entering your private air space is technically trespassing.  Now where's that miniature surface-to-air missile kit I got last Xmas?

Edited by OctoMan

What a bit of kit that drone is, it can carry 2.7 kg for 31 mins lol some of the extras are unreal 

Edited by ravsta