Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kush Lover

How do you germinate? Should I change?

50 posts in this topic

Afternoon chaps,

I have searched through the forums and other online resources for the bet germination method. I have always used the wet paper towel method (thanks school) with great success until my last run when it didn't go so well and I only had about 50% success compared to my previous 100% success rates.

This time I am tempted by the Jiffy 7 method I have seen and would like to follow the advice on Dinafem's website step by step but is the jury still out on the best method.

Due to my time schedule and budget with Christmas looming and taking a it on the finances I don't want to have a bad tie again. What is your preferred method and previous success?

Thanks and sorry for dragging up a question asked a thousand times but just checking the latest opinions!

I'm a newbie but on my first grow I gave the soil a wetting, aerating with my hand and placing an autoflower seed 1cm into the soil.

Placed into the tent with lights on and humidity dome.

Used a spray bottle or baster as the soil dried.

All 3 popped up within 3 days.

Edited by superfruit
3 people like this

Nice thanks @superfruit 100% success is always good

same here, strait into the soil and if it survives and germs then i know fairly sure anyhow that its going to survive

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kush Lover said:

Afternoon chaps,

I have searched through the forums and other online resources for the bet germination method. I have always used the wet paper towel method (thanks school) with great success until my last run when it didn't go so well and I only had about 50% success compared to my previous 100% success rates.

This time I am tempted by the Jiffy 7 method I have seen and would like to follow the advice on Dinafem's website step by step but is the jury still out on the best method.

Due to my time schedule and budget with Christmas looming and taking a it on the finances I don't want to have a bad tie again. What is your preferred method and previous success?

Thanks and sorry for dragging up a question asked a thousand times but just checking the latest opinions!

This is how I do it and have 100% success

Get your starter pots with a light mix of soil and water. I also add a tiny amount of root stim when I water. Place in the propagator in your tent with the lid on on a heat mat. Do this the same time as you soak your seeds

Put the seeds in a shot glass or a suitable receptacle in tepid tap water with a dash of Seaweed solution (not that important), ensuring the seeds have dropped to the bottom of the glass for 24hrs, though some go for 36hrs. Just give them a poke down after a few hours. The next day, have a check and you should see the tap root slightly showing. Get your starter pots and make a small hole about 10mm down. Drop the seed in carefully with the (white) tap root downwards. Cover with a sprinkle of soil and lightly spray the pots with some water.

Back in the prop in the tent WITH THE LIGHT OFF. Seeds don't need light to germinate. 24-36 hrs later you will have lift off.

Having said that it's horses for courses but that's how I do it.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, superfruit said:

I'm a newbie but on my first grow I gave the soil a wetting, aerating with my hand and placing an autoflower seed 1cm into the soil.

Placed into the tent with lights on and humidity dome.

Used a spray bottle or baster as the soil dried.

All 3 popped up within 3 days.

You don't need the light on

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Larry Badgeley said:

You don't need the light on

Aha but I did for the heat, growing in a cold cellar with 24/7 light for autos :yinyang:

1 person likes this

Awesome stuff @Larry Badgeley thanks for your input and sounds like an absolute plan.

I’m thinking that the less they are handled the better for them. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, CBDGUY said:

same here, strait into the soil and if it survives and germs then i know fairly sure anyhow that its going to survive

Are you getting a good success rate with this @CBDGUY?

I use the light for heat too.  It's a lot cheaper to run a 70W LED for some warmth than a heater.  Straight into a pot of wet soil and Bob's your uncle.

4 people like this

No issues terming in soil normally. Thing is when you do get an issue it’s real difficult to check without damaging. So I swapped to root riot cubes. 100% success rate. So if you can’t afford to loose the seed or time that’s what I’d go with. All you do is wet them, squeeze em, put seed in, cover with a bit of the cube and spray couple times. In a prop or warm place till sprouts. Keep moist not wet. 

5 people like this

26 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

Are you getting a good success rate with this @CBDGUY?

depends on what you call a good success rate, im getting used to seeds not sprouting these days, but i have had great success with sensi seeds with a 199% success rate

24 minutes ago, CBDGUY said:

but i have had great success with sensi seeds with a 199% success rate

Ah the loaves and fishes trick . I could never get the knack . 

7 people like this

I go straight into the compost, no humidity domes or anything. In the veg room with the other plants and i'd say I get a 99% germ rate. Root riots dry out too quickly for me, I killed seedlings in those once so I give them a miss these days. Ok if you keep them in a prop I suppose

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Lean Bear said:

No issues terming in soil normally. Thing is when you do get an issue it’s real difficult to check without damaging. So I swapped to root riot cubes. 100% success rate. So if you can’t afford to loose the seed or time that’s what I’d go with. All you do is wet them, squeeze em, put seed in, cover with a bit of the cube and spray couple times. In a prop or warm place till sprouts. Keep moist not wet. 

@Lean BearI've used the root riot cubes with cuttings before which I found a lot more successful than my other attempts but honestly have overlooked them for germinating.

11 hours ago, CBDGUY said:

depends on what you call a good success rate, im getting used to seeds not sprouting these days, but i have had great success with sensi seeds with a 199% success rate

@CBDGUY I would say I can deal with 80% upwards for successful,  I wouldn't normally be to bothered but with the Dinafem and HSO seeds selling so damn well due to their current situation I simply don't want to balls these up. 

10 hours ago, KC said:

I go straight into the compost, no humidity domes or anything. In the veg room with the other plants and i'd say I get a 99% germ rate. Root riots dry out too quickly for me, I killed seedlings in those once so I give them a miss these days. Ok if you keep them in a prop I suppose

Almost just like nature intended then @KC! I think I overcomplicate things sometimes.