Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Firstimegrower_420

At what stage does a plant change sex

After seeing a jokey meme post on Instagram that some plants develop pollen sacks as late as week 6 has freaked me so here's my Saturday worry post lol

Ive no even checked the sex of my plants as I bought feminised seeds so assumed they'd all be female and they're coming into week 3 of flower and do look OK but know ive stressed the hell out of them with all the daft things ive been trying to do and 1 plant is absolutely crap in comparison but its different strains so might actually just be the way she grows....

Anyway is it common for plants to switch as late as that? Or am I OK to say if I don't see it now it won't happen?

I'm going straight in my tent at 10pm when lights on and every bud sight and every crook and cranny in then stems will be checked, lol I'm kinda shitting it if im honest as I'd be gutted if I see anything. 

Edited by Firstimegrower_420
1 person likes this

You always have to be wary of the odd male flower making an appearance.

Don't let worry spoil your fun ;)

2 people like this

Female Cannabis plants can “throw balls” out at any point in their life, some could be attributed to bad breeding practices and not stress testing for hermie traits. Some can be attributed to lighting mishaps, some even throw balls in the last few weeks as an apparent attempt at survival. 

My my personal experience is that the only herms I have had were feminised seeds and since growing mainly regs I haven’t seen a herm. This is not everyone’s experience though.

Dont stress about it also if you are more than a week in flower you should be seeing female preflowers at almost every internode that look like little tear drops with 2 white hairs protruding from them. 

:smokin:

Edited by lildaveham
3 people like this

Thanks @Inspiration101and @lildavehamI think they're female but because I'm using a scrog I can't really getting right in. 

I'll try at lights on to have a proper look and im thinking it might be an idea and to pull the scrog down a bit and let them stretch up out on this 3rd week of flower.. I know that's off topic but do you think thats wise to do then ill be able to get into those nodes you say as everything around 60% below is stripped bare 

Edited by Firstimegrower_420
1 person likes this

I'm 9 weeks in to flower now, all you can do is just take ten minutes to have a good look.  Your eyes will be drawn to them if they even show up which is pretty uncommon.

Have you reason to expect male flowers?  Maybe you are overthinking things... Enjoy the ride and try not to dwell on the possibility ;)

2 people like this

have made mistakes with flowering plants but never had hermies because of it, have had plants hermy twice because of light leak during lights off.

2 people like this

57 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

Thanks @Inspiration101and @lildavehamI think they're female but because I'm using a scrog I can't really getting right in. 

I'll try at lights on to have a proper look and im thinking it might be an idea and to pull the scrog down a bit and let them stretch up out on this 3rd week of flower.. I know that's off topic but do you think thats wise to do then ill be able to get into those nodes you say as everything around 60% below is stripped bare 

I leave the top two tips and the top two leaves when I flip my light cycle into 12/12. It scares me every time I do it, but if the roots are solid and the plant is healthy and bug free it really helps to avoid the bottom third blues when trimming.

As for the nannas I really feel most of that is brought on by what was said environmental stresses. Feminized seeds are notoriously troublesome for long term mothering, while regs are much more forgiving.( no politics here over regs or fems I do still shop the "tude" for their freebies and promotions and most of those are always feminized but its definitely a purchasing strategy I use)  Stay focused on your environment and make adjustments to compensate when necessary make sure your ph is right for your water, and you'll have a pair of scissors and a bucket between your legs in no time.

1 person likes this

@Inspiration101i never really gace hermies a 2nd thought until I saw that meme yesterday and then the posters plants that he had ti get rid of because of it. Seriously it brought tears to my eyes thinking all that hard work and the bastard flips sex... gutted for him.

@ygdop I think its everything that given my the jibbys, beheading the plants, then topping branches, lots of HST and LST and plenty snapped branches. Then its the humidity either to high or to low, then its my feeds to much or to little and now I'm thinking more fans and cant find something to be happy with. 

Anyway I checked my plants last night and think im safe to say at week 9 and 3 into flower ive no Ballbags developing yet there is a tiny little circular ball beneath a bud but that's me probably being my usual.. 

large.20201101_085048.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201101-083656.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201101-083606.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201101-083445.jpglarge.VideoCapture_20201101-083424.jpg

lol it was me that posted about the hermies mate. Lost 4 since Monday. Funny things is my 2 kalamta red greek heirlooms haven't hermed and the description says to expect some off them. Yours looks sound :yep:

1 person likes this

lol what a small world we live in lol

Oh man when I saw your pics it freaked me and I thought of your hard work, this is my first time and im desperate to stamp the dealers out and have my own, I'd be gutted if it happens but it good to know you've seen my videos and all look sound.

I've read regulars are OK but I don't have the space to grow 5 or 6 plants to wait for flower. My luck they'd all be female and I'd be binning them as I don't have room.. ouch!

1 person likes this