Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Doctor Warns Brothers That The Use Of Marijuana Is Negatively Affecting Their Brains

958 posts in this topic

hi

Doctor Warns Brothers That The Use Of Marijuana Is Negatively Affecting Their Brains

22 Oct 2020

Bongme

Quack

2 people like this

Hi

These Professors are loons.

what this arse is saying goes for many things as follows...

Drinking makes me feel like shit and eats up my motivation

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/comments/3ofehd/drinking_makes_me_feel_like_shit_and_eats_up_my/

These 5 workplace habits might speed up cognitive decline

https://www.fastcompany.com/90368124/5-things-that-affect-the-brain-negatively

21 Things That Can Kill Your Motivation

https://www.motivationalwellbeing.com/21-things-that-kill-motivation.html

If you would like more just ask

Bongme :yinyang:

7 people like this

To be blatantly honest, the doctor is correct to a certain degree. However, not everyone is the same and a marginal amount of people will be affected by its use. 

It’s a question of volume, if you eat too much you become obese, if you drink too much you cause scarring and damage to your liver. Smoking everyday will disturb the chemical balance of the brain and will alter the brains logical and cognitive capacity.  

29 minutes ago, The Pharm said:

Smoking everyday will disturb the chemical balance of the brain and will alter the brains logical and cognitive capacity

have you seen this happen with someone smoking pure weed only.?

e2+ with no underlying none diagnosed mental health issues, social problems, depression etc..

:yinyang:

Edited by twigs
2 people like this

If you think I lack motivation when I have weed, you should see when I don't!

10 people like this

iQ erosion?   Symptoms include being stuck to and living life through the TV. For an antidote remember the sensible advice . . .

"Believe none of what you hear, half of what you see" unfortunately many people are unaware and will be duly influenced by Dr Phil and the like of.

7 people like this

I figure this one out long time ago...

it isn't about lack of motivation,you only realize the shit tasks you don't need to be doing or participating  in activities which you don't deep down believe or enjoy anyways

Have a good day folks:bong:

11 people like this

2 hours ago, The Pharm said:

Smoking everyday will disturb the chemical balance of the brain and will alter the brains logical and cognitive capacity

Well said. 

It's been proven that boosting dopamine affects the cost-benefit analysis that the brain makes unconsciously for even the smallest everyday decisions.

If you're training your brain to release dopamine with 0 effort (except for rolling) every hour of the day then what do you expect is going to happen? lol 

It's not like this is an isolated phenomenon, it's true with many things in the body. Hunger hormones for example.

Edited by Nervous
2 people like this

2 hours ago, twigs said:

have you seen this happen with someone smoking pure weed only.?

e2+ with no underlying none diagnosed mental health issues, social problems, depression etc..

:yinyang:

It's a very common occurrence, cannabis is an attractive substance. Cannabis has become socially acceptable which entices people to use the drug to self-medicate or for escapism, people who have no mental health background at that given time doesn't eliminate the potential that they could be genetically predisposed to certain psychological conditions. Cannabis isn't all fun and laughter, people are blind of the other compounds they're consuming and some are even unaware of the implications a chronic consumer is likely to experience. 

Before I changed occupation, a patient who was a chronic cannabis consumer (someone who uses the drug daily, routinely and or is dependent) presented with symptoms such as rapid weight loss, constant nausea, sweating of hands and underarms, lethargy, fatigue. Examination found elevated heart rate, slightly elevated blood pressure, anxiousness, abnormal gait, the patient did not show any signs of abdomen tenderness, lymphatic glands were normal. Tests confirmed nothing sinister, my attention drew back to the patients drug history. Cannabis contains a compound called tetrahydrocannabivarin, this compound is an appetite suppressant, this explains the weight loss and nausea. The patients additional symptoms was explained by Cannabis's adrenergic agonistic properties (stimulates the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline which activates the 'fight or flight' response) this can create constant symptoms of sweating, the lethargy could be due to several factors such as rest and digest (enables the body to relax and conserve energy) this often explains tiredness after stressful or confrontational experiences, or lifestyle choices such as diet, drugs and routine.

I prescribed my patient propranolol 40mg (beta adrenergic inhibitor, this blocks Beta receptors on the heart causing it to beat slower and with less force, also causing vasodilation - relaxes the blood vessels allowing increased blood flow and lower blood pressure) for symptomatic treatment of sweating and nausea. I referred the patient to cognitive behavioural therapy for some help with Cannabis dependance alongside some one-to-one psychotherapy.

I finally advised the patient that the amount of cannabis they were consuming per day was significant and the continued use at that volume would cause considerable irreversible impairment and I would advise a gradual taper. 

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

Well said. 

It's been proven that boosting dopamine affects the cost-benefit analysis that the brain makes unconsciously for even the smallest everyday decisions.

If you're training your brain to release dopamine with 0 effort (except for rolling) every hour of the day then what do you expect is going to happen? lol 

It's not like this is an isolated phenomenon, it's true with many things in the body. Hunger hormones for example.

Cannabis triggers the release of dopamine in an extraordinary and complex way, as a result the brain becomes desensitised to dopamine and therefore requires more of the compound to deliver the 'reward factor', this is known as tolerance.

This is why doctors hypothesised that cannabis would be a 'gateway drug', because they thought people would need something stronger to become elated. However this was proven otherwise.

@The Pharm yeah no denying it causes tolerance, and no way is it a gateway drug but that's not what I'm getting at. 

If you can get your dopamine hits from almost 0 immediate effort, how do you think that affects your decision making in other areas of your life? Given that we know dopamine is a factor in decision making. Is it more or less likely to make you motivated to do things which would give any other person a natural hit of dopamine?  

I personally don't think you should be taking so much of anything or having something so frequently that it's rewiring your chemistry unless you have abnormal chemistry to begin with (and it's intended to remedy it). Humans don't need cannabis under normal circumstances.  

Edited by Nervous
1 person likes this

@Nervous

I quite like your thinking.

Cannabis has no place in the human diet, just like alcohol and cigarettes. Although, people like the feeling of dissociation which motivates them to take drugs, drink alcohol, smoke or eat in excess. Typically, though who consume anything excessively have underlying mental health problems which need investigating. 

Cannabis really doesn't do much for the chemistry of the human brain, it primarily interacts with GABAergic receptors which is great for epilepsy, seizures or psychosis but not depression or anxiety. GABA class antidepressants do exist but they are target very specific receptors within the brain and GI system, they aren't as widely prescribed as SSRI class antidepressant drugs.

People who claim that cannabis relieves their anxiety are living a placebo. Cannabis provides them with comfort and satisfaction which is rewarding and calming, it becomes habit forming which incurs all sorts of compulsions.

Edited by The Pharm
Spelling correction

31 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Edited by schmoak

41 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Humans don't need cannabis under normal circumstances.  

Wanna explain the inner workings of the endocannabinoid system or is it your claim its a redundant system? 

4 people like this