Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Budworshipper

Carbon filter recommendations

21 posts in this topic

Sorry if its in wrong place, was just about to order a carbon filter but I figured I'm best asking some people who have used them before for some advice before I buy.. 

I need a 6inch filter, preferably cheaper the better as I've over spent on everything else. Could do with trying to make some savings, ofc too much smell is a problem, but I can live with a little bit. It's not that much of an issue, nobody visits my house, especially during covid, so i can invest in a better quality one later.

Are the RAM filters any good? Seen a 4inch ram filter on shamazon for just 25 quid which I thought was a bargain. is it possible to bob the builder it and use a 6inch fan with 4inch filter? I dont have it on full whack anyway, 20-30% speed (probably not enough but can't sleep with it any louder and some airflow is better than none) 

Or does anyone have any other better ideas ? Thanks 

You probably won't like this answer but a carbon filter is not the piece of equipment to cut costs on

9 people like this

If you've over spent already dont skimp now.  Go in balls deep and get a reliable 6" filter.  No compromise.  It's the most important piece of kit.  You will be saving money on bud soon enough which will very soon offset your outlay.  It's not worth the worry.

Dont go googling 6" to 4" round ducting reducer if you dont agree.  It wont work at all well.

Best of luck.

Get good filter and get growing!

3 people like this

Carboair filters are excellent filters. 6" £150 - 15% discount from One Tree one of our site sponsors. You may be able to live with "a little bit" of odour, but when your nose gets used to the smell, it could ultimately land you in trouble. 

4 people like this

Yeah you all do make good point on that, my judgement is clouded by the £££ signs lol

Is there any thing decent that won't leak smell that i can get for below 100? Even if it won't last a year, I don't mind i can replace it after my crop comes in.. 

I brought a 10" Phesh filter (good reputation) for £180 for my first grow, during mid to late flower the filter struggled to cope and I was getting over smell, which then I had to mask using Ona gel, I must of spent another £60 in gel just to see it through. So I've upgraded to a Carboair 60 for £158 through the site sponsors One tree.....It pays to buy the best filter you can get your hands on, otherwise you'll be paying twice. 

@Caly what's the size of the Carboair 60 you bought?

I'm looking to replace my my 6" Rhino Hobby 150x300 after 3 years, paid £34.99 for it and it was perfect for my 1x1m tent. Spending £150++ for a filter seems a bit crazy to me :unsure: But everybody else seems to disagree. What other benefits I would gain from more expensive filter if I didn't have any smell issues with my cheap one? Was thinking about buying Rhino Hobby L1 version 150x600mm this time, but will hold on now for a few days until someone replies hopefully :pitchfork:

33 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

thinking about buying Rhino

i would say you have been lucky mate, i wouldn't risk my security for money

34 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

What other benefits I would gain from more expensive filter if I didn't have any smell issues with my cheap one?

prestige? lol what other benefits does a carbon filter give apart from being a scrubber?

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

@Caly what's the size of the Carboair 60 you bought?

It's 250mm/660mm.

I think the filter is one of the most important aspects of the setup, many filters either fail or just not up to the task so therefore people opt for the best brands and obviously they come at a price. If you're happy with yours and it's performing well, stick with it, my Phesh filter could not cope in mid flower and I was worried my neighbours would smell it, so I needed something that is bullet proof....Let's hope it is :) 

i would say 150 quid is a small price to pay for my freedom... 

3 people like this

While I agree with everyone saying you shouldn't skimp on price with filters I will recommend Fox Filters as a more budget option.

They have and are serving me well.  Not had a bad experience yet, they come with a spare dust cover which is handy I find and because they're cheap you can afford to oversize a bit.

A 150mm x 600mm will cost you about £75 iirc.

4 people like this

16 hours ago, ratdog said:

i would say you have been lucky mate, i wouldn't risk my security for money

prestige? lol what other benefits does a carbon filter give apart from being a scrubber?

Why lucky, Rhino is a good reputable brand making great carbon filters, their pro range is excellent and even more expensive than Carboair if you want to buy more "prestige".

15 hours ago, Dodgee said:

While I agree with everyone saying you shouldn't skimp on price with filters I will recommend Fox Filters as a more budget option.

They have and are serving me well.  Not had a bad experience yet, they come with a spare dust cover which is handy I find and because they're cheap you can afford to oversize a bit.

A 150mm x 600mm will cost you about £75 iirc.

Thank you sir, new Fox 150x600 on it's way, £54.99 inc. shipping

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

Why lucky, Rhino is a good reputable brand making great carbon filters, their pro range is excellent and even more expensive than Carboair if you want to buy more "prestige".

Many long term members have had issues with rhino in the last few years. There even was grow shops Putting  out videos showing brand new stock rhino filters not filled fully. The company got sold same time as Phresh irc then they where shit. I had two that struggled on first grows. So no more. I now use Carboair or mountain air .

Edited by Arthur Mix
Add

You can always make your own. I did and it's worked well for the past year. It needs a refill of charcoal now but

I've still got some from when I made it. Cost about £10

3 people like this