Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Ontario police see a spike in cannabis plants being stolen out of people's backyards

hi

Ontario police see a spike in cannabis plants being stolen out of people's backyards

A recent case in London, Ont., saw a thief hopping the fence, hacking down the plants, and then absconding, all in less than a minute.

As Canadians start harvesting their homegrown cannabis, police are seeing a spike in reports of sticky-fingered bandits.

That was the case recently for London’s Mike Nutt, whose backyard camera captured a thief hopping the fence, hacking down hi

“He’s lucky I didn’t catch him,” Nutt told CTV London.

According to Tanya Calvert, a corporate communications officer with the St. Thomas Police Service, last fall marked the services’ first report for cannabis theft.

“We saw a trend begin and again this year we’ve seen another spike in theft of cannabis plants from backyard private grows,” she told CTV.

To avoid having your plants stolen she suggests harvesting early, installing security cameras and staying home to keep an eye on your grow. It’s also a good idea to keep your plants off social media.

Last month, a Chatham man took it upon himself to deter a potential thief, tackling the burglar and detaining him until police arrived. A similar strategy backfired for an Oshawa man last fall, however, who noticed his motion sensor lights go off and then confronted two pot pillagers in his backyard. The suspects stabbed the man before taking off with his plants.

Retired master grower Pete Young also offered some tips to CTV, explaining that he used to tie flowers around his cannabis plants to give them the appearance of a rose bush. He also suggests bringing your plants in at night if possible or installing chain-link fencing if you’re growing outdoors.

“Don’t do anything stupid like booby traps, but do anything you can to deter thieves and make them want to move onto the next yard,” he said.

If your plants do get nabbed, take a look at your home insurance policy, as you may be eligible for some coverage. According to a blog from Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers, insurers are more likely to provide coverage for plants that are grown indoors, as outdoor plants are riskier and more prone to theft or damage.

Even it it became 100% legal to grow in the UK (which it never will, so it's a mere hypothetical) I'd still keep schtum and grow indoors in a tent. Old habits and all that.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, bongme said:

According to a blog from Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers, insurers are more likely to provide coverage for plants that are grown indoors, as outdoor plants are riskier and more prone to theft or damage.

imagine being able to insure your plants, wow.:skin_up:

3 people like this

Maybe the thing to do is set a trap and use the plants as bait :skull:. But then one risks being targeted by robbers at a later date and it becomes tit for tat and someone is going to push too far.

It's a worry to know that the streets are being searched by gangs of thieves seeking opportunity to smash and grab or Rip!

Once one starts to protect ones plants from outside invaders then Everything Changes! for good, for ever, You'll not look at life or people the same again.

No way, and you'll choose to live in different places and with different neighbours than if you did'nt grow. Growers need to invest considerably in their environments. 1/2 measures are grief!

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, schmoak said:

Once one starts to protect ones plants from outside invaders then Everything Changes! for good, for ever, You'll not look at life or people the same again.

is it like being on the run?

e2a, never again

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, ratdog said:

is it like being on the run?

e2a, never again

Yes, it's like being chased for ones plants, pursued and on the run up a blind alley.

Croptober? that explains the spike, plots must have been well staked out in advance, folk who've been ripped will not be taking kindly to future garden invaders, who knows, may see a few thieves ankles stuck in bear traps, wishing they could hop and skip away on the run?

It's really supposed to be like  "being on the run stroll" and choosing to engage with life on ones own terms.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, schmoak said:

Yes, it's like being chased for ones plants

people will steal anything mate, it's up to you to stop them getting interested.

i had a chilli plant stripped the other day, in plain sight of the whole street and not just a few, or even a few off each plant, i had 6, but completely stripped, they were all heavy croppers, more than i would buy in a few years on each plant.

why so many you might ask, i want to try my hand at making paprika

oddly enough i had three whole plants stolen from my old allotment a few years ago, my whole stash

2 people like this

been bust a few times and them wankers take all my equipment as well.

47 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i had a chilli plant stripped the other day, in plain sight of the whole street and not just a few, or even a few off each plant, i had 6, but completely stripped, they were all heavy croppers, more than i would buy in a few years on each plant.

What to think? if that happened to me i'd be considering all the possible motives, sure chilli's are available at the veg market and cheap enough, that is until one get's into the connoisseur section (that's you) for example...

placeholder-square-322x290w.jpg

Chilli String- fresh Dutch chillies

40g This chilli string of about 50 fresh Mozambique chillies will eventually dry and will last for a long time hanging in your kitchen. The leaves in between are bay leaves and can also be used in cooking. 5/10
£18.50

But seriously, theft from gardens/houses is a serious hazard for all concerned, and for you dear ratdog,I am sorry to hear of your bad news, knowing you are a supremely accomplished gardener and horticulturalist i would take for granted that your chilli plants must have been prime examples an a lure to the thieves, my paranoia kicks in here an i see a rippers network where all sorts of photo's and vids get exchanged and shared and rippers can easily gain access to prizeworthy plants, nothings safe these days with a wave of class A addicts all desperate to juice the environment (your/my garden) for cash! :ohmygod:

2 people like this

Sounds like its time to up the game security wise.

Drones will be the biggest problem with outdoor grows.

Don't think trail cams are the solution either, unless you live close enough

to be able to get there while the rippers are still there.

Even then you would probably have to be watching the monitor 24/7.

Not sure rambo tactics are a lot of good, imagine turning up to your plot

and finding a couple of rippers on spikes or cut in half by bear traps,

you could hardly leave them there to deter otherslol

Sadly, i think unless you have a very secure garden/greenhouse,

indoor growing is the only way you can secure your grow.:skin_up:

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, thatman said:

you could hardly leave them there to deter others :rofl:

Would make an awesome scarecrow though lol

Yes thatman, i too agree with anonymous indoor growing or take chances in a garden sheds complex for outdoors. It's a hard lesson for some of us to take, there are roving thieves who have every legal right to stand on the public pavement outside ones property and then for them to look and observe what they will in ones garden, perfectly legal.

What is difficult to accept is the thief who will uninvited trespass and destroy ones property and life.

Certainly growers have been alerted to securely protect their plants, i can see why to plant outdoors and show of the Cannabis beauty, is anyone entitled to possess a thing of value and beauty?  Seemingly not unless one can protect it and constantly do so.

Might be better to live in a gated community of security conscious progressive Normalists and get out of the Prohibitionist neighbourhood altogether:D

1 person likes this