Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

OctoMan

Water temp

24 posts in this topic
27 minutes ago, OctoMan said:

So would water temps of 18-22C be acceptable then?

Yes...in the system u suggested.

maybe a little h202 to be on the safe side. 
:skin_up:

1 person likes this

yes

2 people like this

That's really useful then.  The house temps should keep things in check then.  And H202 is dirt cheap.  Winner. Cheers lads. :)

1 person likes this

My experience of DWC so far (first grow):

BAD

• Over 20C (caused DWC slime and cloggy roots) I literally had to pull off all of the roots you see below with my hands, leaving only the minimal amount of clean, healthy roots.
  • Not leaving big enough air gap between water and roots

large.IMG_2194-min.JPG

GOOD

• H2O2 (12%, 10ml per 12L)
  • Water between 18-20C (MAX 20)
  • White res
  • Mylar reflective
  • Airstones
  • I use a single powdered nute, liquid silica, cal-mag

large.IMG_2220.JPG

The single biggest difference between the top and bottom is the water temperature, and I'm not using a chiller.

Edited by JPE1234
2 people like this

@JPE1234 I'm not that familiar with the different types of hydro etc. at the moment but I think the Aquafarm works differently.  If I'm correct it's a recirculating system whereby the solution in pumped out of the res then distributed across the surface with a kind of dripper ring, with the roots growing only in the clay pebbles and not directly in the res.  And I'm hoping that minor temperature swings, such as the ones I mentioned above, won't be an issue.

I guess we'll see though eh.

3 people like this

@JPE1234 I'm on the cusp of my first RDWC @badbillybob... Can't help thinking that the spume from the air stones could maybe cause issues.

Cheers for the post, very informative.

Edited by Punta Roja
3 people like this

the not leaving a big enough air gap has nothing to do with the root rot, its due to the nutrient being too hot and the roots above the water level being cooler, you need a chiller if your nutirents are too hot, and thats the bottom line. why waste money on electric if it has no chance of finishing?

Punta, if the airstones are too powerfull ive seen them causing damage to roots to be honest they seem to stop thier downward path, the air constantly blowing them upward etc. im thinking of ditchin airstones in mine and seeing how they do. i reckon there will be very little difference in growth

2 people like this

43 minutes ago, OctoMan said:

@JPE1234 I'm not that familiar with the different types of hydro etc. at the moment but I think the Aquafarm works differently.  If I'm correct it's a recirculating system whereby the solution in pumped out of the res then distributed across the surface with a kind of dripper ring, with the roots growing only in the clay pebbles and not directly in the res.  And I'm hoping that minor temperature swings, such as the ones I mentioned above, won't be an issue.

I guess we'll see though eh.

i think you will be fine, as long as the temps are kept in check, and not too hot. the roots are hardly in the water in these systems, they are mostly in the hydroton above the water, and the drippers provide all the nutrient they need

2 people like this

It's amazing what you can get away with, some of the pickles I have got my pals out of WOW! Most stuff is preventative.... When we get those 35c days in summer that we keep getting every other year now there is no way that rez is rocking 20c!... Few days at 25+ you are kinda fucked.

Everything is just common sense, my chiller is half the size I actually require but it's sat in front of the passive intake (which makes it sit backwards I know) and the coolest air possible flows through it at all times. The chiller water pump runs continuously so it actually works as a chiller without it actually being on with the fan running if that makes sense? It pulls from one end of the tank and spits it back in the other end.... No stagnant water here :D

I would like to try RDWC one day but NFT just works so damn good I might not ever round to it.