Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


OctoMan

Water temp

24 posts in this topic

Thinking about giving hydro a shot and I was looking at Hydrofarm/Waterfarm.  My question is:

In an indoor setting is there a need to regulate the temps in the res? And if so, how do you guys go about it in the simplest and most cost-effective way.  I have an Inkbird already if that's any use.

TIA

 

Just to add, I can keep my ambient temps within the 23 - 25C range lights on and 19C lights off.

Edited by OctoMan

Share this post


Link to post

Definitely need some sort of chiller! Hailea HC150 does most people. It's on a lot more at the start when lights on 18/6 and no canopy. Once the lights are up higher and they grown out abit it just cuts in and out a little. Mines set on 20c so it floats between 20 and 21c. It's actually on alot less than when set at 19c and iv got massive air stones and never ever had a problem :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Itwasntme said:

Definitely need some sort of chiller! Hailea HC150

Thanks for the reply. Glad someone fed back. :rofl:  Wow, I just looked up the chiller and was a bit shocked to discover the price (£240).

Think I'll stick to soil until I've won the lottery.  Cheers pal :yep:

Share this post


Link to post

@OctoMan

 

Have a look at a DIY Peltier water chiller. There's quite a few videos on YouTube. I was looking into rdwc the cost of a water chiller put me off so I started looking at DIY water chillers. Depending on the total capacity of your system it might be a viable option.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/10/2020 at 10:34 AM, OctoMan said:

Thinking about giving hydro a shot and I was looking at Hydrofarm/Waterfarm.  My question is:

In an indoor setting is there a need to regulate the temps in the res? And if so, how do you guys go about it in the simplest and most cost-effective way.  I have an Inkbird already if that's any use.

TIA

 

Just to add, I can keep my ambient temps within the 23 - 25C range lights on and 19C lights off.

 

In winter it shouldn't be as much of a problem unless you're using really high powered lights.

 

Here's what helped for me:

  • Painting the res white
  • Covering the res in a windscreen reflective sun protector (2.99 from Aldi, right now)
  • If my temps happen to go over 67 (rare in the current weather) then I just use ice bottles to bring it back down to 65C

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, NezA said:

Have a look at a DIY Peltier water chiller.

I'll have a look into that, thanks.

9 hours ago, JPE1234 said:

In winter it shouldn't be as much of a problem unless you're using really high powered lights.

Only using a 200W LED and temps are always quite low so I could possibly get away without using one at all.  Or could I? :unsure:

 

Edit:  Just realised that in the original post I wrote 'Hydrofarm'.  I meant 'Aquafarm' lol

Edited by OctoMan

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, OctoMan said:

I'll have a look into that, thanks.

Only using a 200W LED and temps are always quite low so I could possibly get away without using one at all.  Or could I? :unsure:

 

Edit:  Just realised that in the original post I wrote 'Hydrofarm'.  I meant 'Aquafarm' lol

Heath Robinson used to run aquafarm rdwc, it was converted, with a res, and he never used a chiller. he insisted that if the flow rate through it was kept up, it didnt need it

he grew trees in it, have a google search, hopefully it might help

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

large.vikings.jpg

 

as you can see, it was just a bit effective lol.

Edited by badbillybob
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

he insisted that if the flow rate through it was kept up, it didnt need it

I was thinking along the same lines, what with the solution being constantly aerated, pumped and trickled through the pebbles.  All in a reasonable temp range of course. Thanks :yep:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

its got to be worth a try hasnt it?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Silver bullet type additive stops any root rot and allows for much higher res temps, cheaper than a chiller until you can get one

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Itwasntme said:

Definitely need some sort of chiller! Hailea HC150 does most people. It's on a lot more at the start when lights on 18/6 and no canopy. Once the lights are up higher and they grown out abit it just cuts in and out a little. Mines set on 20c so it floats between 20 and 21c. It's actually on alot less than when set at 19c and iv got massive air stones and never ever had a problem :)

Chillers imo are for rdwc systems under very high powered lights. 
 

any system that draws fresh air in doesn’t require the water to contain DO like a DWC system will. 
 

my problem with this type of system is the size of res.....it can change bloody quickly where as my rdwc system stays where I set it (generally lol ) 
 

ive gotta say as well.....since I switched to LED I don’t think my chiller has even kicked in yet....it’s just sat there. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Lostlew said:

Silver bullet type additive stops any root rot and allows for much higher res temps, cheaper than a chiller until you can get one

In some systems....in others water temperature is critical. It controls DO. 

Share this post


Link to post

higher water temps= lower dissolved oxygen levels = poorer plants and root rot

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

So would water temps of 18-22C be acceptable then?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now