Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hebrew

First grow - Any help appreciated

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Hope you're all doing well.

I've been reading this great forum loads and particularly Serpents guide to growing autos in soil to help me get started with my first grow. I have got 3 Lemon auto seedlings from Seedsman in a prop in my tent (120x120x60cm) up in the loft now.

I cracked the seeds in tap water (ph roughly 7.2-7.4) and then placed them in Root Riot cubes and placed them in my electric prop.

After a couple of days, they had popped so I turned on my 1000w Philzon Cree COB LED on the half-beam setting at a distance of 24 inches, 24hr schedule.

The following day there was a long root poking through the bottom of the Root Riots so I transplanted them into small pots (the ones that came with my prop - think they're about 0.3L). I sprinkled the Root Riots with myco funghi and filled the pots up with neat BioBizz All-Mix that I lightly sprayed with tap water beforehand.

It's now been 6 days since they popped and I am worried that they will not be ready to transplant into their final pots at the 7-10 day mark. They have not seemed to do much for the last few days and the leaves on 2 in particular of them have started to look curled and crispy on the edges. I have been keeping the soil moist with a spray bottle of tap water and at a steady temperature of between 25-27c.

I know my tap water ph is a little high, but I read a thread on here by OldTimer1 that mentioned that my soil should buffer this to a more acceptable ph. I do have a bottle of ph-Down on hand in case I need to lower my ph.

I have also read that Biobizz All-Mix may be too nutrient-rich for seedlings. Should I go buy some Light-Mix and quickly transplant them into that perhaps?

Can any of you esteemed growers give a noob some advice on what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Pictures below for reference;

large.DSC_0099.jpg

This is the healthiest looking of the 3;

large.DSC_0102.jpg

This one is not looking so great (the wire is a probe for my electric prop);

large.DSC_0100.jpg

This one is not rooking so good at all now;

large.DSC_0101.jpg

You don't need to PH Biobizz allmix, and the soil should provide enough nutrients for roughly 3 weeks.

One thing is that auto's do not like to be potted, most people will put them straight into their final pot size. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones with wilted leaves die off. When you spray them try to avoid getting any on the leafs as this may cause them to burn, I have no experience with the light you're using so not sure what else could be wrong.

1 person likes this

Thanks for your response mystic_roots. All three seem to be wilting, do you think they are all a lost cause? I have made sure not to spray the leaves when watering. I have been following Serpent's guide and he starts his in small pots, the only difference is that I put mine into Root Riots first, then moved them into small pots a day after they popped above the surface.

I'd give them a little longer to see how they react, hopefully they'll pull through. How often are you watering them? You could potentially be over watering them which effectively drowns the roots and can kill off young plants.

Apart from that I'm afraid i have no further advice or experience to offer.

1 person likes this

Lights too far.

Three options

1. Start again
  2. bring light closer and if it works carry on
  3. bring light closer and if it works you know for next time so start again while you're close to the starting line. 

I would say using a big l.e.d. light is overkill at this point and you should start with something you can have closer to the plants with less intensity like a PL55 or CFL.  

I've never used l.e.ds and don't know much about them so its just my best guess chap. 

1 person likes this

mystic_roots - I'm giving them a light spray first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I was actually worried I may be underwatering them.

ScapeGoat - I am following the recommending distance from the manufacturer's website. It says that the LED should be 24 inches from seedlings. I only have the LED at the moment, should I buy a CFL light then? If so, any recommendations?

I have just remembered I have a dual T5 light fitting (54w x2) from my old fish tank, do you think that would be better for seedlings?

Edited by Hebrew

I don't think the light is too far, they don't seem to be stretching up for light. I haven't got any experience with led but to me it looks like they're getting fried a little bit. I'd go up with the light personally, although maybe they don't like allmix, that's one compost I've never tried.

I used an electric prop once, it's go no thermostat or anything, it's on or off, everything died with it on lol Last time I ever turned that on.

If it's not much bother getting the T5 out then maybe that would be good. Might give them time to recover

1 person likes this

Thanks Fruity Cargo. I am going to try setting up my T5 lights today. I hope my seedlings can recover and that I haven't killed them with my LED.

I have just ordered myself a bag of Biobizz Light-Mix too, I shall use that with the next grow (which I may be starting very soon if the Lemon autos don't recover)

Quick update and a question for you good folks;

I have just put them under 2x T5 54w bulbs at a distance of 8" from the tops of the pots. Hopefully, this will eliminate excess light as a potential issue. Pictures of my bodge-up below (I love cable ties and string haha!)

I'm thinking these seedlings may be a lost cause, what do you guys think? I have just ordered a bag of BioBizz Light-Mix. When that arrives I may try germinating some new seeds straight into Light-Mix in these small pots instead of starting them in Root Riot cubes. I thought the Root Riots worked well to sprout them, but once I potted them up into my All-Mix, that's when the seedlings seemed to stop growing.

Do you think starting them in Light-Mix in small pots in my prop is the best idea? Or will transplanting them into their final pots ruin them again?

Or would it be best to place new seeds straight into their final 12L fabric pots? I would not be able to fit them in my electric prop to germinate if I did.

large.DSC_0099.jpg

large.DSC_0100.jpg

Hard to tell if they’ll pull through or not from those pictures, I’d still give it a few days. 

If you do start again I’d pop the seeds in a cup of water in a dark warm place, when the root is showing I’d put them into final pot size with biobizz all mix, autos do not like to be re-potted up so it puts stress on a young plant. 

1 person likes this

I'd also recommend anyone check out the @blackpoolbouncerdiary

The low maintenance way

Gets great results :yep:

:yinyang:

3 people like this

Thanks @Shumroom. I have just read that low maintenance way diary. Is this diary applicable to Autos? I appears to be for Photoperiods.

In this diary he regularly pots-up. I thought this was bad for Autos.

7 minutes ago, Hebrew said:

Thanks @Shumroom. I have just read that low maintenance way diary. Is this diary applicable to Autos? I appears to be for Photoperiods.

In this diary he regularly pots-up. I thought this was bad for Autos.

If your on desktop there is a link in my sig below that's a 'how to for autos '

Roll a fattie. It's a long read 

2 people like this

Search Blackpool bouncers topics he did auto diaries irc and smashed it. 

2 people like this