Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KC

Using old ballasts

Just wondering how long people have been using their h.i.d ballasts for? Two reasons really, all 3 of my magnetic ballasts are really old, apparently they use more power as they get older, get louder and generally less efficient. I've not really noticed any noise coming from mine, and the 400's run really cool, although one is cooler than the other (same make). The 600 gets hot, but it always has i think. The other reason is I was wondering what the reliability of digital ballasts is like. Have people had these things going for years? I'm talking past the warranty. If so which makes?

Before anyone suggests I buy led then it's a no no at the moment for me, too much outlay and i need the heat from the hid in the cold months.

1 person likes this

Bought my 400w mag in 1997. No brand. Built in timer.  Still using it...  No noise and heat same as when I bought it. Have gone through 2 digital ballasts in 10 years....

Edited by M Pamplemousse
Spelling
1 person likes this

Same here mate... I've had one 400w for nearly 20 years now, only ever had new lamps in it. Unless you're smelling or hearing something new, I'd say you're golden :cowboy:

1 person likes this

Couple of 15 yr old ballasts here still working.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, npx2020 said:

Unless you're smelling or hearing something new

Nope, they're running fine. I started looking as I wanted a new reflector for my flower room, but the 600 has a ignitor mounted onto the reflector so unless I fancy drilling the new reflector it's a case of a new ballast. Then I came across a thread saying magnetics need replacing after a few years, so I thought it's going to be 3 new lights :ohmygod: 

It's good to know i'm not the only one using old tech lol 

@M Pamplemousse Can you recall what brand the 2 digi ballasts were?

Thanks guys :yep: 

30 minutes ago, KC said:

@M Pamplemousse Can you recall what brand the 2 digi ballasts were?

Thanks guys :yep: 

One was lumatek. Can't remember other. But I buy lumatek myself as I rate them. Have a lumatek 315cmh running besides my unbranded 23 yr old 400w.....

My understanding is that whilst digital is more efficient, they are not as robust, and can fail after a few years..... Mags it appears are tougher.... Simpler components I assume....

1 person likes this

i have 5-6 digi ballasts, only one 250 mag, they are all over 10 years old except two cmh ones that are about 4-5 years old i think, they all still work just fine.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Mags it appears are tougher.... Simpler components I assume

Well there are a couple on the market at the moment that come with 25year guarantees, you certainly won't find that with digital ballasts.

I read a few stories about Lumatek ballasts melting at the power sockets, mostly in US, something to do with a certain bulb not igniting at the normal voltage for a 600w. Sometimes the more I research the more I wish I hadn't. Not sure what i'll do now, it's either replace the 600w or use my 2 400's in flower and get a 315cmh for the veg tent. I'll mull it over, no rush :smokin:

What brand are they @ratdog?

7 minutes ago, KC said:

What brand are they @ratdog?

lightwave and maxibright mate

1 person likes this

My omega 600w digi ballast lasted 7 years before failing early this year, i got another for £60 off the bay.

1 person likes this

My local shop does maxibrights, they also do a 400v one that can run 230v too …..hmmmm what to do!

I'd go with @ratdog suggested brands..... 

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, KC said:

My local shop does maxibrights

the only thing that has failed in the last few years in a maxibright 4 gang timer (i have 3 more all still working in action), but that was about 8 yo, i rate maxibright stuff

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

They're one of the companies that offer a 25yr guarantee on their coil ballast, can't be bad. Doubt i'll live that long myself lol 

1 person likes this