Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Firstimegrower_420

Do you have to top

Most of the videos I watch on YouTube about LST I see they top the plant and explain its to help the other buds grow that your trying to benefit with LST and light... can someone advise if thats something a firstimegrower should be contemplating or will it be fine left alone? i did start and pegged stems down to expose light to lower stems and its becoming a little wildness and I can't even see whats what in amongst it lol Growing indicas in 60x120x180 

Thanks 

Edited by Firstimegrower_420

At the top of the main stem is an auxin hormone, which inhibits the growth of the lower branches, so they grow into a xmas tree shape. If you bend that stem (LST) below the tops of the lower stems, that auxin will dissapate and cause the lower branches to catch up, giving you a more even canopy. Topping the main stem (this is a form of HST) has the same effect. So does supercropping (LST), where you pinch and bend stems over.... this effect is more temporary. There is likely to be a recovery time penalty with HST, which you have to add on to the total grow time... could be two weeks extra. I personally think it would be a good idea to just watch them grow naturally the first time.

Edited by catweazle1
3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

Most of the videos I watch on YouTube about LST I see they top the plant and explain its to help the other buds grow that your trying to benefit with LST and light... can someone advise if thats something a firstimegrower should be contemplating or will it be fine left alone? i did start and pegged stems down to expose light to lower stems and its becoming a little wildness and I can't even see whats what in amongst it lol Growing indicas in 60x120x180 

Thanks 

I grow DWC but. training and topping have specific reason.

If let alone she will grow like a Christmas tree; used when height is not a issue.

When you top a plant it will limit it's vertical grow and force the plants too grow more horizontally (bushier), and more cola's. 

LST - low stress training. I use this all the time after I have topped; and I need to get her ready too go under the net.

There are much more knowledgeable individuals on here than me. Someone will come along and answer your question.

Keep on smiling,

BB

2 people like this

How does everyone find topping with autoflowers though? As I understand it the lack of vegetation time results in the 2 main colas not producing as much as if it was left untapped?

As I understand it, top photoperiods, LST autos. Once topped photoperiods can have extra time before flower to develop the stems whereas the grower has absolutely no control over this with autoflower 

1 person likes this

You could top some, let some go on their own? Topping is an easy option no matter how experienced you are. I did that on my earlier grows a few years ago. Canopy was a bit mad but was good learning seeing them side by side :yep:

1 person likes this