Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bongme

Blackpool dad accidentally suffocated baby son after rolling on top of him in co-sleeping tragedy

hi

 

Blackpool dad accidentally suffocated baby son after rolling on top of him in co-sleeping tragedy

A four-month-old baby was suffocated when his sleeping dad rolled on top of him. Now Blackpool's coroner says young parents are ignoring warnings about the dangers of co-sleeping - as the youngster's death is the fourth in the resort in just one year.

Isaac Newton's lifeless body was found in the double bed he was sharing with his dad, Brooklyn Newton, and older sister on the morning of September 6 2019.

 

An inquest last week heard that Mr Newton, of Egerton Road, North Shore, had put his son in the bed, surrounded by pillows, at around 10pm the night before.

At 12.30am he went to check on Isaac and give him his bottle. He then smoked some cannabis before getting into bed between his two children at around 1.30am.

 

 

At 5.55am he awoke to find Isaac cold and unresponsive with blood around his nose.

A postmortem carried out later by Dr Alison Armor found the baby had been dead for some time and had been face down on the bed, as blood had pooled at the front of his body.

She said: “The cause of death was due to overlaying, which occurs when the weight of an adult body overlays the body of the baby. The effects of this on the chest and abdominal region prevent the baby from breathing.

“It is an unsafe practice to take a child into a double bed with an adult. This is exacerbated by the presence of alcohol or drugs. In this case, the cannabis levels in the father indicated previous cannabis use.”

 
 

She said it was unlikely that Isaac had rolled into a face down position on his own, as his family said he was not able to roll over yet.

After finding his son, Mr Newton ran through the house he shared with his parents shouting for help, and attempted to perform CPR.

An ambulance was called and Isaac was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police attended Mr Newton’s house and found drugs paraphernalia in the bedroom along with a cot that did not appear to have been slept in.

 
 

Evidence of prescribed medication and cannabis were found in Mr Newton’s system. However, Det Insp James Lillystone said the levels were too low to warrant criminal charges.

He told the hearing: “Brooklyn was very distressed and shaking, but did not appear impaired. When Brooklyn was told his son had died, he replied ‘it’s my fault’.”

In a statement after the hearing, Lancashire Police said: “An investigation established that no criminal offences had taken place. No arrests were made.”

The court heard that Isaac often co-slept with both his father and his mother - who lives in Preston - despite both parents being warned that it was dangerous.

 
 

Handing down a conclusion of accidental death, coroner Alan Wilson said: “This is a very upsetting set of circumstances.

“On Thursday, Isaac appears to have been bottle fed and has fallen asleep at 10pm and he was placed in a double bed by his father. During the course of the evening his father has smoked some cannabis. Police would go on to find a cannabis grinder and some cannabis.

“He has gone on to get into bed between Isaac and his sister.

“At the hospital Brooklyn did not present as impaired or under the influence. But at that point it had been a number of hours from the point at which Brooklyn first put Isaac to bed. It’s possible that having one joint of cannabis did impair him.”

 
 

Mr Wilson said he planned to write to the Department of Health and local children’s services to raise his concerns over unsafe sleeping.

He added: “Today we have heard about a young child who has been sleeping in his parents’ bed. This has been the fourth inquest I have done this year in which a child has died lying in or on a parent’s bed, and all seem to involve relatively young parents. Clearly, messages are not being followed.”

 

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/blackpool-dad-accidentally-suffocated-baby-son-after-rolling-top-him-co-sleeping-tragedy-2972855

 

Bongme

Share this post


Link to post

Dear Blackpool Gazette.

 

This isn't news.

This isn't a drug story.

 

This is an awful family tragedy, this doesn't need to be printed in a newspaper for neighbours to gossip and drool over.

The family have had an awful experiance and in no way will printing it in a newspaper do them any good.

 

It's things like this, times like this, that people need their privacy.

My heart goes out to the family involved.

R.I.P. little fella

19 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Thoughts are with the family father especially he must feel terrible. 

 

Nothing to do with cannabis, even police have said he wasn't impaired, so it's not even a factor, of course the article keeps mentioning it to try and create a link the wankers, if he had had a cup of ovaltine before bed would they have mentioned it 6 or 7 times do you think?

 

 

Edited by iBMe
7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Hugh Jass / iBMe

 

 

Some make a meal of it....

 

Mirror

 

Cannabis smoking dad 'accidentally suffocated baby son after rolling on him in bed'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cannabis-smoking-dad-accidentally-suffocated-22692778

 

Daily Star

 

Weed-smoking dad crushed four-month-old baby rolling over him while sleeping

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/weed-smoking-dad-crushed-four-22693247

 

Bongme

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

:bad:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dear Blackpool Gazette.

 

This isn't news.

This isn't a drug story.

 

This is an awful family tragedy, this doesn't need to be printed in a newspaper for neighbours to gossip and drool over.

The family have had an awful experiance and in no way will printing it in a newspaper do them any good.

 

It's things like this, times like this, that people need their privacy.

My heart goes out to the family involved.

R.I.P. little fella


Totally agree buddy, it sickens me to see such stories with or without cannabis mentions. 
An unfortunate event that that poor guy is gonna have to try and live with for the rest of his life, the guilt he will carry every single day, so sad. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0