Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

B0bbyBuds

Can you see any mould?

27 posts in this topic

How big are mold spores then?

I'm just thinking out loud here but if you did a quick cold ethanol wash and filtered the alcohol through a couple of coffee filters surely that would catch any spores washed off??  

I mean I don't KNOW for sure but somebody must have a clue?? Maybe @Graywolf would know?

3 people like this

47 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

@OldFord I haven’t thought about cooking with it. I thought the mould would the mould still pose a health risk? 

It’s bit of a pain getting rid of. The bud I can put in a bag and put it in a public bin. But the jars a bit more difficult. Maybe just wash them and give to charity shop if they’re open.

My understanding is making hash is the safest option, although not done it myself and only read about it.   

My take is -  if its contaminated then its binned :)     Safer in my opinion.   

1 person likes this

@B0bbyBuds I know the feeling regarding spotting mould on buds being colourblind too, instead what I do is use my nose as the smell of bud rot is pretty distinctive.  Lucky for you, you have a sample to have whiff of for future reference :) I know it’s a heartbreaking losing precious bud to mould but learning to spot it ASAP is crucial to limiting the damage in future. :yep:

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Fragg said:

instead what I do is use my nose as the smell of bud rot is pretty distinctive.

i've never smelt it tbh, maybe i caught it early?

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i've never smelt it tbh, maybe i caught it early?

Well you can see it and I can’t, until it’s actual white mould which ofc is quite late. It has a very sickly sweet smell, tuns my stomach tbh but that might also be the realisation I’ve lost bud causing that sensation?

1 hour ago, Dodgee said:

I'm just thinking out loud here but if you did a quick cold ethanol wash and filtered the alcohol through a couple of coffee filters surely that would catch any spores washed off??  

I mean I don't KNOW for sure but somebody must have a clue?? Maybe @Graywolf would know?

They are tiny mate, microscopic and will go through a coffee filter, alcohol will kill them though but......

2 people like this

After a little google, below freezing temperatures kill Mold, so do temps over 100 degrees. So, if you froze the weed and then made bubble hash the spores would be dead.

if you make a butter and heat the butter up over 100 degrees same thing, or freeze the butter after you made it. Or freeze the weed, make the butter and freeze the butter and you’ll be good.

Also butane is 0.5 degrees when in liquid form so a bho would have only dead spores in it.

12 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

@OldFord

But the jars a bit more difficult. Maybe just wash them and give to charity shop if they’re open.

Why are you getting rid of the jars.....? A good clean will ensure no mould spores. Dishwasher would do it.....

16 hours ago, Dodgee said:

All molds are not created equal, as some molds living on dead matter produce deadly aflatoxins that can't be simply filtered out.

Molds growing on living matter, like Powdery Mildew, and Botrytis (Bud Rot) don't produce any known aflatoxins, but composting molds like Aspergillus definitely do.  Botrytis spores and mycelium does produce a Type 1 allergic reaction in some people.

We filter out the spores and mycelium particles from PM and Bud Rot using a 0.2 micron syringe filter, which removes the odor and flavor.  The Aspergillus spores are about 2 microns in diameter and around 10 microns long.

If you don't smell mold, there is probably little to none present, as mold has a pungent aroma.  It will phosphoresce green under a NDT inspection blacklight, and can be identified using 100X microscope. 

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/8-essential-oil-safety/8-3-salvaging-moldy-material

Edited by Graywolf
5 people like this

21 hours ago, Graywolf said:

produce deadly aflatoxins

This is what concerns me too. And if I’m vaping then could be inhaling them directly without it combusting.

The bud doesn’t smell. Still smells like lemon sweets, delicious. :crybaby:That doesn’t make it easier to chuck away.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, B0bbyBuds said:

This is what concerns me too. And if I’m vaping then could be inhaling them directly without it combusting.

The bud doesn’t smell. Still smells like lemon sweets, delicious. :crybaby:That doesn’t make it easier to chuck away.

If it doesn't smell, would suggest checking it with a black light and microscope to see what'cha got, before tossing it.

2 people like this

Gutted for ya bud, could you not decarb it and make some butter or other edibles and get some of the THC rather than bin it? At least that way your still getting rid but at least extracting any goodness out of it first